frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is it Okay to Want to Rebel Against Society?

Debate Information

Edgy teen here. When humans reach certain stages of development, specific things become expected of them. Child--behave, go to school, begin to think about how you'll benefit society as an adult. Teen--behave, go to school, think more critically about how you'll benefit--or are already benefiting--society. Adult--Continue schooling and benefit society or you'll be associated with laziness and unproductiveness.  

I believe this is due to the way society has developed, not how humans have evolved. Learning what to do in society is separate from evolution, as evolution is for the fittest species to reproduce, and growth of a civilization is what people as individuals have put together during their lifetimes, and then passed on to others who then further their ideals.

I believe being taught as an individual is different from a species developing an instinct.
jesusisGod777

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• OppolzerOppolzer 191 Pts   -  
    "Rebellion" in a general sense can only be judged by analyzing what is being opposed to and why. 

It's normal to conform to the social norms; you're less likely to be discriminated against, it creates a sense of belongingness if you're similar to the rest of society, and I think most of all, you're less different. People tend to be less accepted if they're different.

I imagine that people enjoy rebelling because it's a means to distinguish yourself from others, which is usually done in a way that they think is "better." But then again, being different doesn't necessarily mean that it's always a good thing. It ultimately comes down to the way you're acting for the intention of being different.

A good example would be if someone rebels for the purpose of decreasing social injustices. A bad example would be if someone rebels for the purpose of increasing social injustices.

Therefore, there are "positive rebels" and "negative rebels."

BrainSocksZombieguy1987MayCaesar
  • WinstonCWinstonC 209 Pts   -  
    @BrainSocks The way I see it is that you first should learn how to benefit yourself without harming others. Then, you should expand this competency to be able to benefit others (which also benefits yourself). In my estimation, whether it's OK to rebel depends on if you are by your actions benefiting yourself and others or harming yourself and others (which @oppolzer touched on).
    OppolzerBrainSocks
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5967 Pts   -  
    I have always been strongly contrarian, as, by my nature, I am a lone wolf, having very little collectivist spirit in me. I love interacting with people, but I always stand my ground as far as my, even very-very unconventional, beliefs go.

However, the point of my contrarianism has changed significantly over the years. As a teenager, I, like many others, rebelled for the sake of rebelling: I did not really have any constructive positive message in my rebellion; it was more about creating controversy and getting a lot of attention in the process.
    Nowadays, my contrarianism has more to do with specific ideas I have and promote, and I do not seek attention in such a way. I can still be very playful and sometimes do something with the purpose of provoking a positive reaction in people, but it is more of a quirk I have, and it is not an essential element in my general ideology.

The point I am trying to make is that, just as @Oppolzer said, rebellion in itself is neither good nor bad. Rebellion is a tool that can be used to accomplish a certain goal, and it should only be judged based on what that goal is.
    It is very natural for teenagers to rebel against their elders, for example, but that rebellion tends to be without any particular direction: "You do things this way, and I will do them a different way, just to stand out". This is a neutral rebellion; it is a part of the growing process.
    A more informed rebellion tends to happen much later in life, when we become grounded in our deep beliefs and find that some of them are at odds with the social consensus. Then rebellion arises naturally, it has a direction, and it does not necessarily take an aggressive form. One can rebel in a minor way, by just thinking their thoughts quietly - or in a very major way, by assembling a group of like-minded people and starting an armed rebellion against the state.

I believe that conformity is a bad and very limiting character trait, and any society would benefit from this trait being less prevalent and more criticised. However, anti-conformity can be as bad as conformity, or as pointless as conformity. The proper, mature way to rebel is to not be either conformist or non-conformist, but to be yourself, with no regard to whether it aligns with the societal dogmas or not. 
    Granted, you should not ignore the societal dogmas either. Knowing what the society at large believes in allows you to act on your own beliefs in a more pragmatic way. However, the societal beliefs should never overwrite your own beliefs, even if your beliefs are hard to express without dire consequences. Not expressing your beliefs still does not prevent you from having them.
    OppolzerBrainSocks대왕광개토Josh_Drake
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -  
    Well, it is perfectly fine to want to rebel against society unless that desire leads you to do bad things. I think that questioning and challenging existing conventions(or society) is a great way of spotting errors in them and improving living standards of disadvantaged people. Rebellions against society many times made good consequences such as improvements in racial equality, sexual equality, science, and technology. 
    BrainSocks
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    It's natural to want to rebel, but bear in mind that most people have gone through the same stage and there's probably a reason things are the way they are.
  • jesusisGod777jesusisGod777 115 Pts   -  
    @BrainSocks

If you make the wrong assumptions you draw the wrong conclusions.

Evolutions false, by all known facts. Something can not be a fact if all know facts contradict it.

Second your edgy probably because you think having it your own way proves your an individual.

Many people with that personality wind up alone. You can have it your own way, by yourself. No one's going to stick around with an attitude where your trying to prove something.

It's wrong to rebel unless society acts against the Lord God Jesus the Christ.

It's why I rebel against most of you.

For some reason you think that there's value in yourself outside of natural or normal value.

What's youre really saying is you want to find someone who's submissive so you can have them kiss your butt.

대왕광개토
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    Social constructions are illusions. There's no need to adhere to any social standards. Just know that if you break the law, you may end up in jail, but outside of that, it is your duty as an American citizen to disregard social standards. If you're not an American citizen, it is your duty as an individual to assert your liberty. If you do not demand it, it will be taken from you.     
    BrainSocksPlaffelvohfenMayCaesar
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    @piloteer

"Just know that if you break the law, you may end up in jail, but outside of that, it is your duty as an American citizen to disregard social standards. If you're not an American citizen, it is your duty as an individual to assert your liberty. If you do not demand it, it will be taken from you."    

https://www.online-paralegal-programs.com/legal-rights/

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO STAY OUT OF JAIL

know-your-rights 

"KNOWING YOUR RIGHTS

Amendment IV – The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Whether you are a US citizen or not

3 LEVELS OF POLICE/CITIZEN ENCOUNTERS

● Consensual – casual conversation
    ○ Evidence level required – Zero
    ○ Freedom to leave – yes
    ○ ID required – no
    ○ Legal search – plain sight or consensual
    ○ Example: Officer knocks on door to ask if you saw anything

● Investigative Detention- Temporary detainment for further info.
    ○ Evidence level required – Reasonable Articulable Suspicion
    ■ Visible paraphernalia (Ziplocks, rolling papers, pipes)
    ■ Tools for B&E (Crowbar, slim jim, weapons)
    ■ Profiling (Paper tag, DARE/Police decals, College attire, Gangster attire)
    ○ Freedom to leave – no (approx. 15-20 minute max)
    ○ ID required – not in 26 states (exception: you’re a driver)

○ Legal search: frisk, plain sight, or consensual
    ○ Example: Officer sees you wearing a ski mask at night.
    ● Arrest – Taken into police custody
    ○ Evidence level required – Probable Cause or warrant
    ○ Freedom to leave – no
    ○ ID required – yes
    ○ Legal search: frisk, plain sight, consensual, or warrant
    ○ Example: Officer catches you breaking and entering

Best Practices to Exercising Your Rights Safely
    ○ Always be polite, respectful, and keep hands visible
    ■ Reduce Exposure to Suspicion
    ● Crack door/window unless ordered to open fully
    ○ Clarify it’s an order, a request is not an order.
    ● Keep questionable items out of plain sight:
    ○ prescription bottles / medicine
    ○ hookahs
    ○ rolling papers
    ○ measuring scale
    ○ firearms/weapons
    ■ Ask to leave often
    ● Omitting to ask = voluntarily staying
    ■ Ask for cause
    ● Officers must articulate observed suspicions
    ■ If requested to do anything, clarify you will if it’s “an order”
    ■ Record or immediately write down your encounter
    ● **disclaimer: Audio and video recording laws differ state by state
    ■ Report any violations of your rights

○ NEVER:
    ■ Lie or give false documents
    ■ Answer questions
    ■ Give permission to a search without fully reading a warrant
    ■ Argue, resist, run, or obstruct– even if your rights are being violated

○ Filming your encounter with police:
    ■ You may video and audio record police performing official duties in public.

● Officer may NOT:
    ○ Confiscate, demand to view, or delete without a warrant.

Individual may NOT:
    ■ Interfere with the officers’ duty [ex. “stand back!” do so]
    ■ Physically resist– if officer reaches for your device, do not resist, just report it.

Tricky Police: Police may legally lie, bluff, and intimidate you.
    ○ Most avoidable arrests occur from trickery and intimidation:
    ■ admission of guilt
    ■ consenting to a search.
    ○ Refusing a search or to answer incriminating questions are not:v
    ■ admissions of guilt
    ■ reasons to detain you
    ○ Miranda Rights are read only in “police custody”
    ■ visual: handcuffs
    ○ Common Police tricks:
    ■ Phrasing:
    ● “Have you had anything to drink tonight?”
    ○ Best response: “Respectfully officer, I don’t have to answer that.”
    ● “Not answering is suspicious, why are you resisting?”
    ○ Best Answer: “I’m not resisting, respectfully, I don’t have to answer anything.”
    ● “If you have nothing to hide, you don’t mind if I look around.”
    ○ Best response: “I’m sorry Officer, but I don’t consent to searches.”
    ● “If you refuse a search, I’ll have to call a K-9 unit.”
    ○ Best response: “Officer, are you detaining me, or am I free to go?”

Breath Tests to Determine BAC
    ○ Do you HAVE to take it? No, you have the right to refuse.
    ■ Be warned, refusal is an automatic, irreversible suspension of license (in every state)
    ○ Blood tests are more accurate, and require a warrant
    ○ Breathalyzers are tuned to the “avg” person
    ■ False positive factors:
    ● Smaller people
    ● Small lung capacity
    ● Diabetes
    ● Acid Reflux (GERD)
    ● Low-Carb Diet
    ● Inhalers
    ● Fumes (ex. paint, Ethanol gas)
    ● Roadblocks
    ○ DUI – Legality: protection from “imminent public danger”
    ■ Same rules as any other traffic stop

Border Patrol
    ■ Legal search – Agents may legally search anything without warrant
    ○ Drugs (It’s a Trap!)
    ■ The Supreme Court ruled random checkpoints for finding drugs are unconstitutional.
    ● “We cannot sanction stops justified only by the generalized and ever-present possibility that interrogation and inspection may reveal that any given motorist has committed some crime.”
    ● “Drug Checkpoint in 1 Mile” [sign] is a police trap, do NOT exit.
    ○ (visual of the sign near an exit cops/dogs are at exit, not 1 mile down)
    ○ Pull people over for:
    ■ Illegal U-Turns
    ■ Littering
    ■ Suspiciously exiting "

BrainSocks
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Some used to say: "If you don't like America, leave it". 
    The same can be said for society. If you don't like society, leave it …. to those of us who want it to "evolve into a more perfect society" , you might say.

After all, we used to throw people in jail for not paying their taxes to the church, we used to burn people at the stake for thinking about things they weren't supposed to think about, or throw them in jail for thinking the Earth revolved around the Sun. We used to think that women were some kind of "sub-species". (I often lean toward the underdog :yum: .)
    I think society has come a long way. Why rebel against something that is "evolving nicely"?? If you want to "create" something else ... go somewhere else. OKAY?
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -   edited October 2019
    @AlofRI

It's worth pointing out that you argued the righteousness of people who rejected social standards when it came to the earth revolving around the sun, or thinking women were a sub-species. And that somehow became your argument as to why we shouldn't rebel against society?!?! Your argument is confusing because your saying we shouldn't be doing what those rebels did in the first place, which was to reject social standards. It is the rebelling that actually causes the evolution that you consider so nice.  
    AlofRI
  • @AlofRI ;
    Some used to say: "If you don't like America, leave it". 
    It was a song.....

“Fighting side of me”, Merle Haggard,  1970

@piloteer ;

I'm sorry you were so confused, people usually understand what I'm getting at. You don't. I'll try to be more clear in the future so you'll understand. ;-)
    @John_C_87 ;

I know. I liked his music, but, often, not his thinking. 
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -  
    AlofRI said:
    @piloteer ;

I'm sorry you were so confused, people usually understand what I'm getting at. You don't. I'll try to be more clear in the future so you'll understand. ;-)
    @AlofrRI

So, are you waiting for some kind of a papal invitation to get me to understand, or are you just going to ignore the fact that you made an asinine statement that makes no sense? You embrace the evolution in society, yet you reject the rebellious faction?!?! How can society evolve if their aren't people who question and challenge social attitudes and structures?  
    AlofRI