frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Do You Need Dysphoria To Be Transgender?

Debate Information

To most people, the first thought is: What is Dysphoria? Well, dysphoria (in this case) is not being comfortable with your assigned gender and what comes with it. The things that come with your assigned gender are pronouns, hair length (sometimes), and your body parts. Dysphoria is something people cannot help, and it definitely is not a choice to have. So, in my opinion, yes you need dysphoria to identify as trans. Though, I want to hear both sides of the story. I am aware that Euphoria is often used as an argument, "Well some people don't have dysphoria but have euphoria!" but you can't have euphoria if you were already comfortable with what you had? I do have a place in this argument, i'm a trans guy myself and I'd like everyone's opinions! I'm not here to dog you! If you say something, I'm going to keep an open mind and not instantly snap and say "NONONO THAT'S NOT RIGHT" but I will want some sort of explanation! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    Being transgender means having gender dysphoria, the two terms are literally interchangeable, transgender is simply a newer term.  This is similar to asking if being bisexual makes you homosexual..the answer is "Duh".
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5971 Pts   -  
    I do not think so. All that is needed is that you change the gender. You can change it for whatever reason, and while typically it happens over dysphoria, nothing in principle prohibits you from changing your gender for any other reason. There was a Russian guy who changed his gender just so he could flee to the US and get an asylum on the grounds of persecution of transgender people in Russia, so, while rare, such things are not unheard of.
  • WordsMatterWordsMatter 493 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar to add to that, in Iran if two men or two women are caught in a homosexual act, they can avoid any and all persecution if one of them changes genders, usually on the states dime. Pretty crazy how a country that hates gays so much can be perfectly fine with transgender people.