frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What happened to art?

Debate Information

I'm an art lover and am fascinated by art history and want to know what you guys think. There seems to be significantly less value placed on art nowadays; and not talking about just hyperrealistic drawn images, but real beautiful art with interesting composition, lighting, and most of all original purpose. What happened? Is art even important (I would hope it still is to many people!!)
billpassedpassedbillImbsterrandalnorthsouthkoreaSilverishGoldNova

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SuperSith89SuperSith89 170 Pts   -  
    I blame the internet.  Now you can just Google a painting and there you go.  No need to buy it anymore.  Maybe some hardcore art lovers still buy some, but the internet may be the main problem.  
    melanielustbillpassedSilverishGoldNova
  • ImbsterImbster 149 Pts   -   edited June 2017
    I believe the context here are canvasses and statues? I'm a bit confused but my classmates and I now use art apps and special android pens. I don't think that takes away anything from art because art is vast. I have canvasses but I'm not sure with time and talent. Roses paintings aren't enough to impress modernners nowadays and have come to be defeated by art generating apps. They say it takes MORE skill to paint on a phone. Even though they may hate officially painting on canvasses, at least they still love art. We argue a lot about colour especially saturation.

So I don't get lost here I'll strengthen my path with a few assumptions. You're mainly pointing out that art seems to have less value now not only on HRDI but real beautiful art. So why do people value it less now? Well I may believe that some people greatly lean to the negatives of this realm like current issues which distracts them from even looking at an art. Unlike some who can focus on work and a few other aspects but still be amazed by formal arts. I think the internet is a good thing for art. People who are very far away from a beautiful and hardly worked work of art may see them online. I mean look at Vincent. What if he was able to show his art to the whole world with a post? He's bound to get an appreciation. I'm just pointing that the internet is a good promotion for artists who want to be appreciated, who want to showcase their talent but don't get in america's got talent or other big art shows. I mean you could also sell because sometimes I find that looking at a painting once isn't enough. I want to see it in halls when I walk.

30 art sites to promote art
    http://mashable.com/2007/09/18/artists-toolbox/#0M9VrSUHwGqK
    billpassed
  • billpassedbillpassed 146 Pts   -  
    I believe this is due to our modern times. 

Art collectors may be more interested in older items of Picasso, da Vinci etc. 
    passedbillSuperSith89
  • passedbillpassedbill 80 Pts   -  
    I believe it is the internet, which consists of a "database" of "artwork."
    SuperSith89
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    @Imbster , great points. I think perhaps the internet might have decreased the value of some forms of art. Also, it's hard to define "beautiful art" of course, and that's very subjective and could be another debate entirely, so I guess what I meant to say is artists going out and making a living based off of their work. It's hard to be a successful artist nowadays for a plethora of reasons that could be hard to pinpoint but I think some of it might have to do with society not valuing art as much anymore.
    Imbster
  • PowerPikachu21PowerPikachu21 213 Pts   -  
    While there's no Leonardo da Vinci, art is important in media like video games and movies. There's also this website called DeviantArt where people post drawings.
    randalnorthsouthkorea
  • randalrandal 67 Pts   -  
    @PowerPikachu21 , the most valuable art is older and possibly more classic.
    melanielustImbsterSilverishGoldNova
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I think the art from renaissance age and names like DaVinci are timeless.  That is an insightful debate.  
    We see new forms of art emerging with internet.  For example, one of new art forms is visualizing data.  The way people can express art is becoming lots more creative.

northsouthkorea
    Live Long and Prosper
  • northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    @powerpickachu, art value picks up over time in many cases. That could be a cause of relatively fresh art not selling high.
  • People nowadays consider a stump with a chain attached, a screaming woman, an old candy bar, and a painted chair art. 
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • MajoMILSdlGMGVMajoMILSdlGMGV 103 Pts   -  
    I believe that the understanding of art is very much associated with knowledge and culture and nowadays culture is slowly loosing its meaning. The new generations are slowly forgetting about culture and what it means, this includes art. The good things is that there are still people that keep art and culture alive. 
    SilverishGoldNova
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -  
    Photoshop and CGI graphics happened. Machine will destroy the human again and again until we surrender to AI :(
  • I blame the internet.  Now you can just Google a painting and there you go.  No need to buy it anymore.  Maybe some hardcore art lovers still buy some, but the internet may be the main problem.  
    I don't personally believe being able to get a painting from Google is the issue. 
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)