frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

We need new type of public debate

Debate Information

I think that politicians, intellectuals, and other experts should consider adopting new type of public debate that is different from traditional face-to-face debate. After seeing countless traditional debates, I noticed that traditional debate had many disadvantages. First of all, debaters quite often become triggered and resort to ad-hominem or other tricks. Secondly, while debaters are debating, they can't google essential information they didn't find beforehand. Thirdly, when a one of the participating debater talks really fast, his opponent can't respond properly. Fourthly, debaters often interrupt their opponents. Lastly, crowds watching the debate often unnecessarily and mindlessly clap whenever the debater they support make seemingly powerful claim. In order to overcome the problems stated above, I propose a new type of debate whose name is 'Typing Debate'. Typing Debate will take place in lecture hall or other similar places where viewers watch the debate happening. The debaters will not show up at the hall, but they can be at any place they want. These debaters will have to use their computers or other similar electronics that are connected to huge screen at the hall to text their claims(they use neither voice chat or video call). The process of debate would be one by one(one debater makes a claim and the other makes and so on). However, each debater cannot make a claim unless his opponent sends him  a signal that indicates that his comments are fully read. Each debater have to make a claim in limited amount of time as soon as he receives a signal. The internet is allowed for the participating debaters. The viewers can neither hear voice nor see faces of the debaters. The comments will be shown on the large screen at the hall. So this is what the new type of debate would look like.What do you think of my suggestion? 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -   edited October 2019
    It sounds like a good way of conducting formal debates, but I also don't see the value of getting rid of the traditional debate styles. The professional type debates that we see at colleges usually don't get heated because ad-hominem attacks ends up making the debater lose points. I do like the anonymity of your proposed style though because it makes it difficult for a debater to rely on identity politics as a tool since the opposing person or team may not even know who their opponent is. As far as the interaction of the crowd being some sort of tool that can be used to unfairly give someone an advantage, I don't think I agree with you there. The point of the debate is to be persuasive to others, and if the crowd claps because they approve a specific point that someone has made to refute your argument, then a good debater should take note of the crowds reaction and consider ways to be able to be able to convince the crowd that your opponent is somehow misrepresenting or not properly analyzing the topic at hand, and hopefully get the crowd on your side.       
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -   edited October 2019
    @piloteer I forgot to mention that each debater will know who his opponent would be. That was my mistake. 
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    I think that politicians, intellectuals, and other experts should consider adopting new type of public debate that is different from traditional face-to-face debate. After seeing countless traditional debates, I noticed that traditional debate had many disadvantages. First of all, debaters quite often become triggered and resort to ad-hominem or other tricks. Secondly, while debaters are debating, they can't google essential information they didn't find beforehand. Thirdly, when a one of the participating debater talks really fast, his opponent can't respond properly. Fourthly, debaters often interrupt their opponents. Lastly, crowds watching the debate often unnecessarily and mindlessly clap whenever the debater they support make seemingly powerful claim. In order to overcome the problems stated above, I propose a new type of debate whose name is 'Typing Debate'. Typing Debate will take place in lecture hall or other similar places where viewers watch the debate happening. The debaters will not show up at the hall, but they can be at any place they want. These debaters will have to use their computers or other similar electronics that are connected to huge screen at the hall to text their claims(they use neither voice chat or video call). The process of debate would be one by one(one debater makes a claim and the other makes and so on). However, each debater cannot make a claim unless his opponent sends him  a signal that indicates that his comments are fully read. Each debater have to make a claim in limited amount of time as soon as he receives a signal. The internet is allowed for the participating debaters. The viewers can neither hear voice nor see faces of the debaters. The comments will be shown on the large screen at the hall. So this is what the new type of debate would look like.What do you think of my suggestion? 
    I agree with this speech but when a debater talks very fast the judge will not be able to hear and so that speech will be useless. In a face to face debate you can use expression which sometimes adds detail and description and give the sense of the debate. Expression is almost necessary. I am typing this speech. In a face to face debate my speech would be much better. Why? I am using expression. You said people can interrupt each other. That is correct but people have their own designated time for their speech and if someone interrupts the judge pauses the timer, tells that person of, resumes the timer and they continue. If that same person keeps interrupting ultimately he will be expelled from the debate.