frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

We shouldn't tolerate all religious practices?

Debate Information

Before I continue I think it first needs being mentioned that by not tolerating all religious practices does not equate to being intolerant of all religious practices.

As it stands, I am sure many of us can appreciate that some religious practices are outright harmful to human beings. And as Christopher Hitchens Says it is inaccurate to say these acts are done "in the name of religion." In fact, it's much more correct to say that these acts are committed as a result of a direct precept of those religious ideological beliefs which is far more accurate indeed. If you're not convinced by this then perhaps the following might do the trick:
Femail Genital Mutilation - a procedure where the female genitals are deliberately cut, injured or changed, but there's no medical reason for this to be done. It's also known as female circumcision or cutting, and by other terms, such as sunna, gudniin, halalays, tahur, megrez and khitan, among others. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/female-genital-mutilation-fgm/.

HeadlinesFGM is a criminal offence. It is a form of violence against women and girls, and in the latter case it is child abuse.All CPS decisions - whether to charge or to advise no further action (NFA) - must be approved by a Director of Legal Services and all cases notified to the DLS Team upon receipt from the police.The Government’s commitment to ending FGM is embedded in the cross-Government Ending Violence against Women and Girls (VAWG) Strategy: 2016 to 2020. The strategy is underpinned by effective partnership working at both a local and national level. The UK Government has signed and ratified the United Nations call to all states to prevent and respond to violence against women: The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW).Prosecutors may find it useful to refer to:  The College of Policing's FGM Authorised Professional PracticeThe CPS Guidance on prosecuting cases of non-sexual child abuseMulti-agency statutory guidance on FGM https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/female-genital-mutilation-prosecution-guidance
Faith Healling homicide/negilgence or of Children-
We have written a lot about people who reject science-based medicine and turn to complementary/alternative medicine (CAM), but what about people who reject the very idea of medical treatment? Faith healing is widely practiced by Christian Scientists, Pentecostalists, the Church of the First Born, the Followers of Christ, and myriad smaller sects. Many of these believers reject all medical treatment in favor of prayer, anointing with oils, and sometimes exorcisms. Some even deny the reality of illness. When they reject medical treatment for their children, they may be guilty of negligence and homicide. Until recently, religious shield laws have protected them from prosecution; but the laws are changing, as are public attitudes. Freedom of religion has come into conflict with the duty of society to protect children. The right to believe does not extend to the right to endanger the lives of children. A new book by Cameron Stauth, In the Name of God: The True Story of the Fight to Save Children from Faith-Healing Homicide, provides the chilling details of the struggle. He is a master storyteller; the book grabs the reader’s attention like a fictional thriller and is hard to put down. He is sympathetic to both the perpetrators and the prosecutors of religion-motivated child abuse, and he makes their personalities and their struggles come alive.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/faith-healing-religious-freedom-vs-child-protection/
More Religious based medical negligence of children -
Judge orders doctors to give Jehovah’s Witness girl blood transfusion against her parents’ wishes Five-year-old could die or suffer a stroke if not treated urgently, says hospital
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jehovahs-witness-blood-transfusion-doctor-judge-ruling-girl-leeds-nhs-trust-religion-a8977066.html
Child Marriage -
Last month, academics, advocates, and religious leaders gathered at an event organized by the Council on Foreign Relations during the American Academy of Religion conference to discuss the relationship between religion and child marriage. Although global rates of child marriage are on a downward trajectory, progress in curbing this practice has been far too slow. The United Nations estimates that one in three women aged twenty to twenty-four —almost 70 million women total — married under the age of eighteen. Approximately 23 million were married under the age of fifteen, and some were married as young as eight or nine years old. The implications are dire: child marriage is linked to poor health, curtailed education, violence, and lawlessness, all of which threatens international development, prosperity, and stability.https://www.cfr.org/blog/child-marriage-and-religion-0
Religious Extremisim -
Extremism means, literally, "the quality or state of being extreme" or "the advocacy of extreme measures or views".[1] The term is primarily used in a political or religious sense, to refer to an ideology that is considered (by the speaker or by some implied shared social consensus) to be far outside the mainstream attitudes of society.[2] It can also be used in an economic context. The term is usually meant to be pejorative. However, it may also be used in a more academic, purely descriptive, non-condemning sense. Extremists are usually contrasted with centrists or moderates. For example, in contemporary discussions in Western countries of Islam or of Islamic political movements, the distinction between extremist (implying "bad") and moderate (implying "good") Muslims is typically stressed.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremism

And the list goes on and on. There is good news however, as government across nations continue to fight against these brutal acts as you can see via government legislations from one or more of the quotes above. Although more still could be done. And of course, some of these harmful acts still continue to go on illegally which still needs challenging:

Now, I understand that some people will not get this, and/or see it as an attack on religion because their religious beliefs are far more important to them than their own children; their own flesh and blood. To them things like the following are of no concern:

Effects of FGM

There are no health benefits to FGM and it can cause serious harm, including: constant pain pain and difficulty having sex repeated infections, which can lead to infertilitybleeding, cysts and abscessesproblems peeing or holding pee in (incontinence)depression, flashbacks and self-harm  problems during labour and childbirth, which can be life threatening for mother and baby Some girls die from blood loss or infection as a direct result of the procedure.https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/female-genital-mutilation-fgm/
And this just goes to show how far one is will to go; even at the expense of their own children just to defend their firmly held ideological belief that wasn't founded on reason!

So, of course some religious practices should not be tolerated; a no-brainer in my book.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    There have been many atrocities committed in history in the name of high ideals; in fact, some of the worst atrocities were the ones most universally supported by people, leading to the minority being subjected to uncontrolled violence from the majority, and based on such noble intentions as "Bring in the best possible future for humanity".

Intent is never a good justification of a coercive action. People like to make such justification, but at the end of the day, what does it matter what you had in mind, when the reality materialising from your actions is the opposite? When someone advocates for a social program that every economist knows will not work and cannot work, and criticises those disagreeing with the proposal by claiming that they do not have people's best intentions in mind, then it is a fallacious criticism, as intentions are completely irrelevant as far as reality goes.

It is no different in case of religion. No matter what arguments people base their decision to forcefully genital-mutilate others on, this is a violent action that should not be tolerated in a civilised society.

People sometimes accuse me of being religion-intolerant. But I am about the most tolerant person you can find with regards to religion, and I do not even mind the most controversial displays such as the "thousand cuts test" in some indigenious tribes, where teenagers are subjected to an extremely painful torture, enduring which is treated as a sign of their maturity - I am okay with all that... PROVIDED it is completely consensual, and people who undertake these awful tests do it out of their own will, and not because the society threatens to exile them if they do not do so.

There should be no "religious rights", "racial rights", "gender rights", et cetera. There should be human rights, and they should be universally applied regardless of any traits a given human may have, any beliefs, any views, any disabilities, any oddities.
    And it is obvious that genital mutilation, female or male one, against the person's reasonable consent does not fall in that category.
    PlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -   edited November 2019

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

-Steven Weinberg”

I will first make a prediction as in I bet your old buddy TD will come on asking you “ where was god put on trial for his crimes? “ 

Societies traditionally have tolerated all religious practices because the religious held power in the majority of societies and one hadn’t really a choice to opt out as the implications of such would be damaging for an individual and his /her family.

In a fair proportion of societies worldwide adults will still resist stating they no longer believe because of the implications of such an action on them and their families.

I think all religions rely on indoctrination of the very young for their success in garnering new followers this is child abuse plain and simple , religion poisons the minds and hearts of the very young .....Read below Wiki .......

...... One specific meaning of the term religious abuse refers to psychological manipulation and harm inflicted on a person by using the teachings of their religion. This is perpetrated by members of the same or similar faith, and includes the use of a position of authority within the religion.[2] It is most often directed at children and emotionally vulnerable adults, and motivations behind such abuse vary, but can be either well-intentioned or malicious.[3]

Even well-intentioned religious abuse can have long-term psychological consequences, such as the victim developing phobias or long-term depression. They may have a sense of shame that persists even after they leave the religion. A person can also be manipulated into avoiding a beneficial action (such as a medical treatment) or to engage in a harmful behavior.[3] Wiki 

The game believers play to negate the damage religious belief does is to say 

when  Shiite and Sunni Muslims slaughter each other, it's not religious violence; it's "sectarian" violence. When a Christian murders an abortion doctor or a Muslim blows up a building, it's not religious terrorism; it's just terrorism. When believers block the progress of medical science at the expense of suffering people, it's not a problem generated by religion; it's "bioethics

When religious people do things that god permits according to the sacred books media and those of their religion suddenly call them fanatics for doing as god wills , most unusual behavior indeed.

The Bible has a list of rules regarding slavery as in how to purchase , treat and indeed beat them this was ( in fairness) a given and used and accepted by the religious to enslave and mistreat fellow humans , look now at how this is totally denied and the claim now is “ oh they were evil and not messengers of god as they misinterpreted the good book ? The very same dance was played with homosexuality which the Bible forbids yet now accepts its absurd.

I  made the argument before as in if a Muslim totally believes in the words of the Quran and slays infidels at least he / she is being consistent  with their sacred book the same way slavers were with the words of the Bible

Your piece brings home the reality of how the young are constantly abused by those who should know better but don’t because they to are ignorant and indoctrinated and the whole process thus continues.

My family are mainly religious and it rarely comes up as they carry out their religious practices in their own time and own places , I’m absolutely fine with this and in fairness the power the church once had in my country has being reduced to insignificance as people evolved with a growing modern society that rejected being told how to think , act and behave this seems to be the case throughout Europe as education and interaction with other societies saw religions become less hard line and this was of course something churches had to do or perish as societies evolve every part of that society either moves along or is doomed to fail

Slavery was once accepted in societies as was the jailing of homosexuals religions made moral cases for both worldwide and such was accepted , this demonstrates clearly that everything evolves which includes our moral codes and behaviors.

Societies that embrace Islam are evolving but at a slower rate but evolving they are , certain practices that were once tolerated by all are not so now but progress is slower it seem.

The U S is peculiar a fair proportion of its population appear to be hardline believers , I noted the amount of people at a Trump rally all wearing T shirts stating ....PRO GOD , PRO LIFE and PRO GOD I don’t think one is going to have a reasoned conversation about anything which individuals like this and I feel sorry for anyone who’s not religious having to live in a community where religious nuts like this live 

I think I would prefer to live in Saudi Arabia than the Bible Belt in the U S where religious lunacy seems to be the norm and at least in Saudi I wouldn’t understand the language. An American politician ( retired ) said online recently “ to state one does not believe in a god in the U S is political suicide” to do so in the Bible Belt is social and employment suicide I would think 

• MayCaesar said:
     There should be human rights, and they should be universally applied regardless of any traits a given human may have, any beliefs, any views, any disabilities, any oddities.
    And it is obvious that genital mutilation, female or male one, against the person's reasonable consent does not fall in that category.
    This I completely resonate with. What's best for humanity is one of the most important considerations that we as human beings can make I think.
    MayCaesarPlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987

• smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    Islams favorite practice is to throw gays off of buildings so I dont think we should accept all of them

Its okay to be muslim but not all practices can be justified
    why so serious?
  • We shouldn't tolerate all religious practices?

If any persons should decide to do harm via there belief system, then it is the person, not the religion that makes this leap into bad practice overall.

The words of any written form of religious ideology are only dangerous if you implement them into the real world.
    so leave these words and teachings within the many pages and no harm will ever come from them.

Cheers from Haydn.E.Sheldon
  • We tolerate all religions (1st amendment right), but not all religious practices. Let’s take a look at radical Mormonism for example. These people don’t believe in hospitals (they use “faith healing”), despise the government (think that the Illuminati is out to get them), and don’t support women in roles other than faith healers, midwives, or stay at home mothers. For more on some of the crazy sh*t Mormons can dream up, I suggest that you read Tara Westovers Memoir “Educated.”
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • ZeusAres42ZeusAres42 Emerald Premium Member 2720 Pts   -   edited November 2019

We shouldn't tolerate all religious practices?

If any persons should decide to do harm via there belief system, then it is the person, not the religion that makes this leap into bad practice overall.

The words of any written form of religious ideology are only dangerous if you implement them into the real world.
    so leave these words and teachings within the many pages and no harm will ever come from them.

Cheers from Haydn.E.Sheldon
    Let us not forget we're talking about harmful religious practices which are a direct precept of various religious ideologies. Thus, these ideologies didn't just develop after reading a few passages in a book one day. They come about via a course of many years of indoctrination. There is no justification for any practices that result in the serious harm or death of others whether they be religious practices or otherwise. Also, the right to religious freedom does not extend to having the right to conflict harm on to other beings.
    Plaffelvohfen