frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

should students be able to play on their phones at lunch

Debate Information

I am a student and I watch a lot of my friends playing on their phones or iPads at lunch. should this be allowed or not??

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• woahlolwoahlol 27 Pts   -  
    I think no. You might be thinking: "Oh! A parent here!", but no, I am a student with an iPhone of my own. I use my phone a lot, but when it's time to sit down and eat - I put it away. You see, most students (Because they're children) will not be able to stop texting or playing their game. They will forget about their food completely and waste it, then complain about being hungry. Kids shouldn't have their phones or iPads out at lunch - it's a distraction to the whole point of eating. 
    Polaris95Zombieguy1987RS_masterHunter460qwerrty노형윤Josh_DrakeThorStarlord616debatelady
  • Whatever helish district you hail from has no law. In my district, you cant even have your phone in your pocket or it gets taken away and only a parent can come pick it up.
    Zombieguy1987
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • DylanDylan 61 Pts   -  
    I see no harm in being on your phone during lunch if you want to, I never had any problems eating whilst being on my phone. If you don't want to use your phone during lunch then that's fine but you shouldn't take that away from others if they want to, it does no harm to anyone and it's not like they're in class and have to focus.  
    Polaris95Zombieguy1987Hunter460Josh_Drake
  • Polaris95Polaris95 147 Pts   -  
    I think it's better not to play on your phone during the break, or whatever, but if someone wants to, why not? I think it distracts from socializing with your classmates and can be annoying for someone who hasn't brought their phone that day (or doesn't have one), but that doesn't mean students should be outright banned from using them that way.
    Zombieguy1987
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    I am a student and I watch a lot of my friends playing on their phones or iPads at lunch. should this be allowed or not??
    I am a student but believe we should not because it is bad for your mental healh and psycology. At school you can get told off and get into big trouble using phones. You should only use it to contact your parents in safety updates. Thats what I do
    Adding furthermore playing on your phone is bad for your mental health and if you play too much you could start killing other people.
    an example of this would be:
    https://listverse.com/2017/10/28/top-10-violent-crimes-tied-to-video-games/
    If you play more than 3 hours a day you can start to have bad memory, dry eyes or start getting crazy and finally have mental health disorders. The only acception for this is educational video games.
    RichardCarter2021Josh_Drake
  • RS_master said:
    Adding furthermore playing on your phone is bad for your mental health and if you play too much you could start killing other people.
    an example of this would be:
    https://listverse.com/2017/10/28/top-10-violent-crimes-tied-to-video-games/
    If you play more than 3 hours a day you can start to have bad memory, dry eyes or start getting crazy and finally have mental health disorders. The only acception for this is educational video games.
    You're continuing to use evidence from articles about crimes from video games that doesn't represent all of video game players, performing the hasty generalization fallacy. "Start getting crazy and finally having mental health disorders"? What kind of evidence would even support that? And don't give me one article about one crime from one kid about one video game. Give me an official study. Give me a reliable study.
    Hunter460RS_master김만두
  • 대왕광개토대왕광개토 235 Pts   -   edited September 2019
    In my school, using a phone was strictly not allowed. Not surprisingly, nobody cared about the rule, and almost everyone took out their phones and enjoyed spending their time on instagram, facebook, and snapchat. One could easily break the rule and get away with it by not being caught using the phone by supervisors. In my opinion, imposing strict rules on the usage of phone is not that effective.
    https://georgiastatesignal.com/video-games-are-bad-for-you/

Here is an article @RichardCarter2021. You have to agree that 3 hours of video games are bad for you. Sometimes people get epilepse when going too long on games.
    김만두
  • Here in the UK in accordance with a revision to safeguarding law and policies phones in schools should not be seen or heard. Students in the last two years of secondary school are allowed phones but only in designated privileged areas and risk confiscation being seen anywhere else, however.

The reason for the ban of phones in accordance with safeguarding law is due to the fact that because of the advancement of technology it is all too easy to use phones for malicious purposes. "Examples of misuse are to include the taking and distribution of indecent images, exploitation and bullying." http://schools.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/sites/schools/files/folders/folders/documents/safeguarding/MobilePhonePolicy.pdf

Furthermore, these safeguarding policies also help to safeguard not only students but members of staff whereby an unlikely but possible event may lead to a member of staff being held under scrutiny.

Personally, I have to admit that this is a strong argument and one that I am in favour of.

• Why not physical games? I don't think we should allow them to play at phones in lunch because all the time they sit and use their mind and in games, again mental activity would only involve. That's not good. 
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    punish the kids while adults play on their phones at work? they are gonna do it anyway no matter what; should be the student's choice
    why so serious?
  • Hunter460Hunter460 2 Pts   -  
    Here in the UK in accordance with a revision to safeguarding law and policies phones in schools should not be seen or heard. Students in the last two years of secondary school are allowed phones but only in designated privileged areas and risk confiscation being seen anywhere else, however.

The reason for the ban of phones in accordance with safeguarding law is due to the fact that because of the advancement of technology it is all too easy to use phones for malicious purposes. "Examples of misuse are to include the taking and distribution of indecent images, exploitation and bullying." http://schools.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/sites/schools/files/folders/folders/documents/safeguarding/MobilePhonePolicy.pdf

Furthermore, these safeguarding policies also help to safeguard not only students but members of staff whereby an unlikely but possible event may lead to a member of staff being held under scrutiny.

Personally, I have to admit that this is a strong argument and one that I am in favour of.

These malicious purposes don't stop because phones aren't used at lunch, though. Bullying, indecent images, and other issues still happen outside of school and under the radar of administrators. If using phones at school has any effect on the policy, it probably lessens the damage by providing a deterrent at school. It also opens an easier door for punishment to correct these issues.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -   edited November 2020
    In my school, using a phone was strictly not allowed. Not surprisingly, nobody cared about the rule, and almost everyone took out their phones and enjoyed spending their time on instagram, facebook, and snapchat. One could easily break the rule and get away with it by not being caught using the phone by supervisors. In my opinion, imposing strict rules on the usage of phone is not that effective.
    The teachers can see using a WiFi analyser who is using their phone, so you cannot hide your phone and hope that no one notices.