frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Video Games Vs. Outdoor Sports?

Debate Information

Yes, I am talking about physical sports activities. In the past few years, I saw a massive decrement in physical sports especially in tennis, football and squash from youngsters. Few of them are busy in video games especially game gadgets like VR, PlayStation etc just transformed there world. On the other hand, the ones who like physical sports only prefer to enjoy them by watching on their smart devices' screens. Actually, last year, I bought a squash racquet for my niece after conducting thorough research and reading reviews of reliable squash rackets. I meet her after one year and she was good at playing racket games but I didn't find here happy. When I inquire she told me she loves more with video games as compared to outdoor sports. Maybe this happened due to her age. However, I made a great research in the purchase especially in the beginning I was willing to go with an inexpensive option like a $40 racket but then I considered the best option. Maybe it is also making me happy.

But, if we see in general perspective, the mind of people around the globe is changing rapidly and they are avoiding physical activities especially sports. The boys and girls who are passionate about playing outdoor games maybe attractive towards the glamour of these games and money could also be a reason. Here is an article https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/28/high-school-sports-participation-drops-first-time-years/ which discuss outdoor high school sports activity has declined. Keep in mind, this news only refers to the good standard high school. What about if we consider some ordinary schools in different countries?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Accessibility is a huge factor in the video games vs. sports debate. Why pay tons of money for licenses, training, entry fees, etc. when you can play a virtual version of the sport for a bargain price by comparison, and why attempt and fail miserably at becoming a race car driver in the backyard when you have all the space in the world in a video game?  :)
    BonitaVanhooser
  • TKDBTKDB 694 Pts   -  
    Playing video games for long periods of time, can interfere with a persons health.

Your blood blow, and your blood pressure.
    (Blood clots, a heart attack, or a stroke.)

Your blood sugar, and cholesterol count, that could lead to becoming diabetic, or to developing high blood pressure, or hypertension.

There have been recent medical situations, where kids who eat lots of processed foods while playing video games, are developing high blood pressures, between the ages of 11-14 years of age.

Eating pizza, which is high in sodium. Or foods from a fast food restaurant, are high in sodium, and saturated fats, this can wreak havoc on one's own arteries, 

Many sodas, in a sitting, after a while can negatively affect the insulin that our own bodies produce, leading to obesity, or diabetes.

Being active, drinking proper amounts of water, and maintaining the proper electrolyte levels, are all healthy, for your blood flow, your heart rate.

Walking at a minimum of 20 minutes a day, or going for a hike, biking, running, indoor and outside, are all positive for ones own health.

A way to test the above, go get your blood pressure checked.

For ladies, and guys both, a healthy blood pressure is 120/80.

When it gets higher than that, you start to develop hypertension, a blood pressure of 140/90 and above.

The problems that developed with a blood pressure like that, is that your blood vessels can become damaged. 

That can cause random blood clots to develop:
    In your legs, your arms, possibly in or around your brain, your lungs, or around your heart.

A sign of a stroke: slurred speech, facial dropping, a sudden headache, or obstructed vision with your eyesight. 

All of the above information, is available on WebMD, or other similar websites. 

Zombieguy1987
  • Yes, I am talking about physical sports activities. In the past few years, I saw a massive decrement in physical sports especially in tennis, football and squash from youngsters. Few of them are busy in video games especially game gadgets like VR, PlayStation etc just transformed there world. On the other hand, the ones who like physical sports only prefer to enjoy them by watching on their smart devices' screens. Actually, last year, I bought a squash racquet for my niece after conducting thorough research and reading reviews of reliable squash rackets. I meet her after one year and she was good at playing racket games but I didn't find here happy. When I inquire she told me she loves more with video games as compared to outdoor sports. Maybe this happened due to her age. However, I made a great research in the purchase especially in the beginning I was willing to go with an inexpensive option like a $40 racket but then I considered the best option. Maybe it is also making me happy.

But, if we see in general perspective, the mind of people around the globe is changing rapidly and they are avoiding physical activities especially sports. The boys and girls who are passionate about playing outdoor games maybe attractive towards the glamour of these games and money could also be a reason. Here is an article https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/28/high-school-sports-participation-drops-first-time-years/ which discuss outdoor high school sports activity has declined. Keep in mind, this news only refers to the good standard high school. What about if we consider some ordinary schools in different countries?

How about exposing kids to more than just a couple of sports? Maybe there are other sports that they don't know about yet which they could actually end up enjoying just as much as video game or more?

• RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    I would say sports are better. Even though they can be the same sports improves your physical and cardiovascular strength, reflexes and speed. You may argue that in sport there is a high risk of injury but playing video games for too long causes Fear Of Missing Out, dry eyes, bad memory, mental disorders and many more. Educational video games are good as well: they are the only exception in video games. In case you say that I am a parent I am actually U18.
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    I agree with @RS_master. Playing sports will also decrease your risk of obesity, while playing video games will actually increase your risk of obesity. A study shows that every hour of your day spent sitting down more than the average (6.5 hours per day) will increase your risk of obesity by 6%. 
    LibertineStates said:
    Accessibility is a huge factor in the video games vs. sports debate. Why pay tons of money for licenses, training, entry fees, etc. when you can play a virtual version of the sport for a bargain price by comparison, and why attempt and fail miserably at becoming a race car driver in the backyard when you have all the space in the world in a video game?  :)
    Because it will do so much more for your health and fitness. Playing a real sport will make you much fitter and stronger. Even if you don't win, you will at least have become fitter in the process of trying to do so. Also, addiction is a problem. If you get addicted to a video game, that is bad because you will feel bad when you stop playing, and it has been linked with depression. However, if you are addicted to a sport, you will feel better when you stop playing because your body will have produced endorphins which are feel-good hormones.
  • SebastWeav18SebastWeav18 2 Pts   -  
    This is a good one! 

Obviously, playing a video game, that is sports-related, for hours on end is not healthy. However, video games can add a creative and unique touch to sports while also being more accessible and fun. Imagine that you want to do boxing for fun and to get in shape. Sparring someone for the first time is scary, especially when you know that someone will punch you and you need to punch them. It's a lot of pressure. However, with a video game users can feel less threatened knowing they won't get punched and feel it physically and that they aren't really hurting someone. I believe that if given the opportunity, go actually play the sport. However, if you just want to try it out or you are worried about something, its okay to do a video game version of the sport.
  • onethinhandle56onethinhandle56 19 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    I prefer video games over outdoor sports.