frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Your Views About Selling Smartphones Online?

Debate Information

Greetings!

Honestly speaking, I am a very reserved person about my gadgets and usually, I don't sell them. However, this Christmas, I am thinking to get a new smartphone and due to short of money, I am thinking to sell my used phone. Secondly, I am confused about where should I sell it. Like I am considering Craigslist or eBay as an option but many of friends suggested me to go with Cash A Phone place to sell phones directly to a website. According to my friend, they will take responsibility for data breach protection etc because they resell these phones to developing countries after recycling. However, I will reset my phone and will remove everything from it.

Do you think removing data and reset would be enough to protect my data? Actually, I heard some apps that can still recover the data after reset and deletion of data. You can also read the article to know more about it from here https://www.digitalinformationworld.com/2019/11/selling-your-used-phone-can-be-dangerous-for-your-privacy.html/. Moreover, I also would like to hear your experience of selling used phone online. Especially, tell me if you ever used Swappa to sell phones online.

Waiting for your suggestions. Any tip about data protection would also be appreciated. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Just bring your old phone in and exchange it for a discount on your new phone
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • Just download all of the data from your old phone to your new phone, or back it up to either the cloud or whatever storage service  the OS on your phone uses
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -   edited November 2019
    Just bring your old phone in and exchange it for a discount on your new phone
    Which outlet or mobile company is giving massive discount? In such deals, I noticed they offer a lesser discount. 
  • @BonitaVanhooser
    I mean, yeah it wouldn’t be big, but it would still be at least a little off of a possibly expensive device
  • Also, T-Mobile tends to do discounts on trade ins, I don’t know for sure about other companys
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -   edited March 2021
    I recommend MusicMagpie. I recently sold zn old Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini and Samsung Galaxy S6 for £30 and £60 respectively. This gave me an excellent cashback of £90 for a new iPhone 8 which cost £200.
    https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/sell-mobile-phones/

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @BonitaVanhooser If you are worried about your data being recovered, there are special programs that scramble the information by over writing it with random data several times that makes it unreadable.

Selling your phone online or trading it in at a store isn't a bad idea, especially if it still works just fine. You will effectively get a discount on your new one.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • @BonitaVanhooser If you are worried about your data being recovered, there are special programs that scramble the information by over writing it with random data several times that makes it unreadable.

Selling your phone online or trading it in at a store isn't a bad idea, especially if it still works just fine. You will effectively get a discount on your new one.
    Can you share such programs to remove data from the phone permanently? I am a little scared about recovery apps.