frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Is America due for a revolution?

Debate Information

With the country so divided, is it simply inevitable for a revoultion to happen? We have seen Arab Spring in other countries.
  1. Live Poll

Is America due for a revolution?

10 votes
    1. Yes
      10.00%
    2. No
      40.00%
    3. Maybe
      50.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• iksl_18281iksl_18281 2 Pts   -  
    Possibly. America is already having some what of a revolution considering that cities are not following Trump's orders as well as protests occurring.
  • Possibly.
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I think you saw too many movies or too much drama. While I agree that it is polarizing the country, I cannot see a scenario for another Tea Party, North vs South type revolution, or 1917 Russia. The debates will continue, but no revolution.
    George_Horse
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Tocik17, maybe you are on to something. No one predicted the Arab spring either. What if Trump starts deportations of illegal immigrants and it gets broad support for anti-deportation movement, leading to country wide-violence?
    The pause I have, the revolution would have to be on opinion, but not on looks, or geographic location like prior revolutions. How would people know whom to fight with, without coming up to a person and asking what they stand for?
    So I believe in a possibility of many uprisings, but not far enough to predict a revolution. I vote for no.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    So far I dont see angry villagers lining up around my house with pitch forks, but I will let you know if I do :)
    Tocik17, I hope you are not volanteering to be the founder of this movement.
    Seriously though, the issue of country polarization is very unpredictable and real. There is always a chance for some sort of "revolution", but I just think that is unlikely in this case. Maybe some riots here and there though.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Revolution generally occurs in one of the two cases:

1. The economical or social conditions become so unbearable that making a rapid change becomes essential for people's survival, and they, having nothing left to lose, rebel en masse and depose the government. This is the revolution by necessity.
    Examples: Russia-Feb 1917, USSR-1991, multiple Tibetan uprisings against the communist China (all harshly suppressed), the Kosovo Rebellion-1997, Congo wars, Romanian revolution-1989,
    2. The dissonance between the ideology a large fraction of the population supports and the ideology the government practices becomes too big for people to feel any association with the government, and typically a small group acts on their behalf to stage a coup. This is the revolution by preference.
    Examples: Russia-Oct 1917, Iranian revolution-1979, Cuban revolution-1959, Arab Spring. 

Are these cases present in the US? Not even close. On the first point, the US is one of the wealthiest and most prosperous countries in the world, and while economical inequality here is quite high by the First World standards, it is nothing that can possibly lead to a revolution - even the Great Depression, that was far worse than anything the last several generations had to face at any point, did not shatter the political structure. On the second point, while there is a lot of disagreements on how the social and economical organization should be executed, the vast majority of the population agrees on some key points: democratic system of governance, wide state rights, strong stance on defense of human rights, free market economy. This is not anything like the time of the American Revolution, where the whole concept of collectivist society was openly rejected, or the time of the Civil War, where two groups of people with their own armies disagreed on the entire economical, political and social organization of the young republic.

People tend to exaggerate, but the reality is, the life most people experience in the US is very enjoyable and comfy. People can have heated arguments on Twitter or Facebook, organize rallies with yelling ideologists - but really, when it comes down to it, it is more of an entertainment than anything people strongly commit to. A person will complain about Trump for a while, or whine about how Democrats are always unhappy with everything - then go to a bar with their friends and have a time of their life, laughing and talking about all kinds of innocent things. People smile at each other on the streets, they take mortgages and car loans from banks, they receive one of the best higher education offerings the world has, they build their farm houses... There is nothing that can even remotely constitute something that will make people give everything up, go on the streets and demand that the current political system is to be abolished and something principally different is to be built on its ashes.

As much as some people on both sides like to talk about doom and gloom, in reality those are First World problems, if even that. People are unhappy with incredibly minor things, and any average citizen of even a relatively successful country on the overall scale, such as Chile or Poland, would roll their eyes looking at what Americans criticize.
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    Absolutely not. America is fine, it may be the left or liberals that will start a revolution based on their negative view on Trump, which won't happen. 
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles