frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What living person will have a statue after they pass?

Debate Information

Random shower thoughts, does anyone alive right now (or recently passed) deserve a statue? And I don't mean a small bust in a random park, I mean a sizeable one in a relevant place

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    Yeonmi Park, Stephen Hawking and Nick Vujicic. They have demonstrated something amazing, something that all humans should internalise: that it does not at all matter who you are, where you were born, what physical condition you find yourself in, how others treat you... You can achieve massive success under any circumstances, if you believe in yourself and do everything in your power to build a happy life.

Yeonmi Park was born in North Korea, escaped and spent 2 years in China as a sex slave, and finally managed to reach South Korea - yet, unlike most other North Koreans, that hide their identity and try to live a quiet life, she travels around the world, tells her story openly and always smiles. What she has gone through would break 99.999% of people, yet it made her into one of the strongest and most optimistic persons ever to walk this planet.

Stephen Hawking was diagnosed with a very rare paralysing condition when he was in his early 20-s, and the doctors told him that, at most, he had 3 years left. It did not stop him, and despite becoming fully paralysed over the years, he proceeded to become one of the most productive physicists in human history. He was supposed to die at 25, yet he lived until 76, had two wives and three children, and continued writing papers and giving interviews all over the world until very end.

Nick Vujicic was born without limbs, was ridiculed by his peers at high school and thought his life was meaningless. He even attempted to commit suicide at the age of 15. Yet he found a meaning in his life in travelling around the world and giving motivational speeches. He is one of the happiest and funniest guys in the world, who helped out millions of people, and who I would absolutely love to give a handshake... oh, sorry. Okay, a hug.

These three persons are my personal heroes, and I dream of meeting the two of them (Stephen, sadly, passed away recently) at some point in my life. Nick and Yeonmi are fairly young (Yeonmi is actually younger than me), so it will probably happen!
    qwerrtyaleksa21RS_masterpiloteerPlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987ScienceRulesMyCatIsCuteTreeManLuigi7255
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    I would say Stephen Hawking for the same reasons @MayCaesar said. I would also say:
    Image result for jim al khaliliJim Al Kalili for explaining the world of physics to everyone and he deserves credit for all the documentaries he has made and books he has written.
    piloteerPlaffelvohfenMyCatIsCuteScienceRulesTreeMan
  • Neil Degrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking for exploring, explaining, and showing the wonderful world of science to millions, as well as inspiring millions of children.
    piloteerPlaffelvohfenZombieguy1987ScienceRules
    Not every quote you read on the internet is true- Abraham Lincoln
  • piloteerpiloteer 1577 Pts   -   edited December 2019
    @MayCaesar

Good call on the statue nominations. I couldn't think of any, but when you said Steven Hawking, I realized that should have been a no brainer to me. I never heard of the other two, but I would certainty say they are deserving of a statue. But I would definitely say Bob Dylan will probably have one some day. He's pretty much considered the Shakespeare of our day.   
    ScienceRulesTreeMan
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    The next person to have a statue is Probably whoever is the next authoritarian dictator.
    PlaffelvohfenMyCatIsCuteTreeMan
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @MichaelElpers

***** The next person to have a statue is Probably whoever is the next authoritarian dictator.

You’re right they most likely will erect a statue of Trump 
    CrystalValuesMyCatIsCuteStarlord616TreeManPlaffelvohfen
  • Phil413Phil413 37 Pts   -  
    It will probably be some politician. They seem to be all in the same boat together as far as self importance.
    MyCatIsCute
  • Someone with a large enough wallet and even larger ego.
    MyCatIsCuteStarlord616