frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What is your take on Greta Thunberg?

Debate Information

A journalist in the U S called her “A mentally ill swedish climate change activist” whether I agree or disagree with this assessment is immaterial my point is why should he be sanctioned and publicly banned now from several news outlets for stating what’s recognised as a mental illness as in her O C D which is classified as a mental illness ? 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    What is OCDObsessive-compulsive disorder is a mental illness. It's made up of two parts: obsessions and compulsions. People may experience obsessions, compulsions, or both, and they cause a lot of distress.Feb 27, 2016
    SnigdhaBhattacharya
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    I think she is a child with no life experience and no experience in the field she is preaching about.  Her intentions may be right but no one should take her very seriously.
    TreeManAlofRI
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    I kind of feel bad for Greta because the extreme climate change alarmists ( who in my opinion, are no better than climate change deniers ) have taken advantage of her for personal gain, and because of her mental status she can't really do anything about it, or perhaps more accurately has no idea that it is happening. I don't particularly care about her as a person, not any more than anyone else I don't know anyway, what bothers me is the people standing behind her basically using her as a child shield to work on people's emotions and lower their sensibilities.

In this sense, I don't think it's right. I also don't think it's right for a journalist to be fired from his job for writing an article, (unless it contained slander or incited violence) because this implies that the media is complicit in self-censorship of it's content, and in our modern political climate it is plain to see why that is a huge problem.
    MichaelElpersSnigdhaBhattacharyaxlJ_dolphin_473
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • smoothiesmoothie 434 Pts   -  
    She is a young girl who has been taken advantage of by both sides of the political spectrum.

Liberals use her to try and push climate alarmism

Conservatives bully her and use her to paint all liberals as weak

Its frankly sick that modern politics have resorted to using a 17 year old girl as a political figure to push agendas
    PlaffelvohfenHappy_KillbotSnigdhaBhattacharya
    why so serious?
  • Phil413Phil413 37 Pts   -  
    She's a child who is being used as a political tool to advance an agenda. Save for a few, who is going to question a young child with autism, at the risk of being condemned for being insensitive? All in all, it's a shame she doesn't see that she is being used; or maybe she does and loves the attention.
    Happy_KillbotsmoothiexlJ_dolphin_473
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    Her message is asinine, but I think that such young people speaking out in public about their concerns fearlessly is something to celebrate, regardless of their message. The old narrative according to which only adults were to be listened, and kids were to get in line and comply, no longer works, not even in such traditionalist societies as the Japanese one, where kids form subcultures that defy the rigid norms and attack traditional values.

Whether we like it or not, kids are now a part of the space shaping the direction in which humanity evolves, and us adults better adapt to it, than try to deny the obvious and resist the inevitable.
  • IzniIzni 65 Pts   -  
    Well atleast she is doing something constructive for future, no matter how little it may seem.
    SnigdhaBhattacharyaCYDdhartaPlaffelvohfenAlofRI
  • @MichaelElpers
    Climate change is something all humans experience, so what do you mean by inexperienced? 
  • @Happy_Killbot
    The journalist is complicit in spreading false information, assuming we have no medical proof that Greta is mentally ill and therefore has been rightfully fired. 
    CYDdhartaxlJ_dolphin_473
  • @smoothie
    There is an over-representation of boomers in the media and Greta's participation balances things out. I don't think she is being taken advantage of. It is true that boomers have a bias against claiming that climate change is real, since it works better for them economically. They care less about longer term consequences, because let's face it, they will be dead by then. Many boomers do not care about the earth that will be passed down to subsequent generations, because it is easier to be selfish and turn a blind eye. Greta carries the best interests of her generation and gives their views an equal representation. 
    CYDdhartaPlaffelvohfen
  • Of course Greta is inexperienced regarding climate change in the academic sense, what do you expect of a 17 year old? At least there is representation of people of that age in the media now. Calling her too young to have an opinion is basically ageism. She seems to have done all the research regarding climate change that a person of her age could possibly do, so what are we faulting her for? Has she actually said anything factually incorrect regarding climate change? Well there you go. 

CYDdhartasmoothie
  • @SnigdhaBhattacharya
    Incorrect fact regarding ocd comment. My bad. However, the writer of the article was still wrong to make premature conclusions about what a person with OCD can or cannot do. Only a doctor can judge whether Greta is able to think clearly and logically regarding climate change and whether OCD is in fact clouding her judgement or not. 
    CYDdharta
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @SnigdhaBhattacharya She has Asperger syndrome, OCD, and selective mutism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

Why is this relevant?

This suite of mental issues has lead to who she is and how she reacts to climate change and in particular, the most extreme versions of climate change.

Asperger syndrome makes it hard for her to control or understand her emotions, as well as an acute memory. This leaves her vulnerable to the emotional control techniques often employed by multinational officials.

OCD might play a role in her attitude toward the climate and the way she carries out her activism, although I think that other factors probably play a bigger role.

The journalist is perfectly justified and well withing his rights to wright that because it's true, so he isn't spreading false information.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @SnigdhaBhattacharya ;

***** The journalist is complicit in spreading false information, assuming we have no medical proof that Greta is mentally ill and therefore has been rightfully fired. 

He is not , he’s perfectly within his rights to say what he said and his assessment is correct , did you not read what I stated under the topic heading regards OCD?
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  
    @SnigdhaBhattacharya

***** However, the writer of the article was still wrong to make premature conclusions about what a person with OCD can or cannot do.

He wasn’t , you were corrected regarding OCD and it is a mental illness , are you stating only a doctor is allowed make valid comments on what she says? 

****Only a doctor can judge whether Greta is able to think clearly and logically regarding climate change and whether OCD is in fact clouding her judgement or not. 

You’re again totally missing the point I originally made as in the journalist stated she was mentally ill this is factually correct as O CD is recognised as a mental illness , so why should the journalist be punished for voicing the truth?
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    @SnigdhaBhattacharya. Shes not too young and academically inexperienced to have an opinion, just not enough for me to respect her opinion.

In her speeches she doesnt bring up stats or scientific models with evidence, she only talks about her feelings on climate change while blabbering about unreal solutions.  This is my problem and the fact that she gets such a large backing shows how little people care about actual information these days, they just want to live in their own world view.

Money is of no issue...this is the type of crappy publicized solutions that will prevent actual solutions from helping solve climate change.
    smoothie
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    The way I see it, if one does not shy away from praising someone for doing a good public work, one should also not shy away from calling them out. It is wrong to praise Greta for being so "brave" and so on (he-h, when I was her age, I spoke openly against an authoritarian regime imprisoning its opponents daily, and I still considered myself a coward overall), yet giving her opinions a break based on her age.

No, young lady, you decided to join the political club and preach your message in front of telecameras. It is at this moment that you have lost your right of being treated as a child; you are in a pool with sharks now, and you are going to be treated just like all other sharks - and rightfully so.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Hard to argue she isn't being used.

The edit history for Greta Thunberg’s page shows that the content has actually been written by her father, Svante Thunberg, and Adarsh Prathap, a climate activist in India who serves as a delegate at the UN’s Climate Change organization.
    https://www.redstate.com/elizabeth-vaughn/2020/01/13/facebook-bug-reveals-greta-thunbergs-posts-are-written-by-her-father/