frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Women aren’t oppressed by men for the most part

Debate Information

As a woman. A WOMANNNNN. Man spreading is okay. However it is not okay to oppress men because of the past. Men and women for the most part are equal. The gender pay gap doesn’t exsist. At all. If you do your research and look up the stats. It’s just because men. On average choose better careers. And there is other stuff involved too. Feminists are pointing out stuff that seems to be a problem and then you look at the facts and then they’re all crazy. So. Men are the ones being oppressed. Not women.
  1. Live Poll

Do you consider yourself a feminist

11 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      100.00%
  2. Live Poll

Is man spreading okay?

11 votes
    1. Yes
      90.91%
    2. No
        9.09%
  3. Live Poll

Are women oppressed

11 votes
    1. Yes
        0.00%
    2. No
      100.00%
  4. Live Poll

Are you a man or a woman or other

11 votes
    1. Man
      90.91%
    2. Woman
        9.09%
    3. Other
        0.00%
  5. Live Poll

Do you believe that something needs to be done and that what people are saying is false

11 votes
    1. Yes
      54.55%
    2. No
      18.18%
    3. Maybe
      27.27%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -  
    It depends on the society you are talking about. In the democratic developed world, neither men nor women are oppressed by each other or the government. In North Korea, both men and women are oppressed by the government. In Saudi Arabia, both men and women are oppressed by the government, and women are also oppressed by men.

You were saying that men are oppressed, and women are not. What society did you have in mind? I am not aware of one in which this is the case. As a man, I dislike the victimhood culture in both genders. Neither of us is oppressed, neither of us is discriminated against in any significant way where I live, and the whole "men vs women" thing is ridiculous.

People should stop using their gender, race, etc. to make themselves feel more important, and focus on what they can offer as individuals.
    itsnicolemateSnigdhaBhattacharyaZombieguy1987Blastcat
  • @MayCaesar I live in Australia so I am mainly talking about college campuses and stuff. They have women’s rooms and stuff like this. Here is a link to a video talking about women’s “safe rooms” this guy is a little foul mouthed and stuff but he explains it well in my opinion https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQZobO-kCJM

I mean oppressed in the way of women advocating for their rights but they already have them. In hindsight I might have worded that a little differently.  
    MayCaesar
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Depends where and when we are talking about. In the middle east and much of Africa where women don't have rights, women are absolutely systematically oppressed, although I would argue that it isn't by men but by society as a whole. The whole idea of a patriarchy is outdated which is why modern, serious feminists don't talk about it anymore and you only hear about it when those who oppose feminism bring it up in order to straw man it.

From what I can gather from what you wrote, you are probably subscribing to all of the rhetoric that is provided by opponents of feminism, who are not necessarily  going to give the ideas of feminism adequate representation. I'm not a feminist nor do I know enough about this issue from an ethical standpoint to talk about it in detail, so instead I will do what I normally do and fall on science.

It has been proven that women who are treated as equals to men tend to go to school longer, get careers, and  postpone having children until later in life. When they do have children, they tend to have fewer but they will typically lead healthier lives and be more likely to grow up to be adults. Thus a powerful tool can be created to manipulate population.

Although I can not prove it, I believe that the reason many ancient cultures treat women poorly is because they either by accident or intentionally figured this out and in an effort to maximize population to cope with the harsh environment and outside threats, treated treated women as nothing more than baby factories and men as war fodder, creating the patriarchal societies that treat all but a select few men poorly.

In this modern world, it makes more sense to reverse this trend so that population stabilizes over time, meaning that giving women equal rights to men is not only a moral imperative, but perhaps a necessary step in curbing resource consumption and ensuring the long term survival of our species.
    itsnicolemate
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • @Happy_Killbot You did a great job of wording that argument first of all. Second. I agree with you. Third. I live in Australia where we’re pretty free but there are a lot of women who think that all men are misogynistic. Or at least some of them. I live near Brisbane (Sunshine Coast) so I hear about a ton of these protests and they’re claiming that 1 in 5 women are raped by men but it’s actually 1 in 53. So. Yeah. Sorry. I rattle off a bit. I’ve got ADHD.
    @itsnicolemate

All groups segregate themselves in some ways and talk dirty about other groups behind their backs. As a guy, I know that guys do a lot of it as well, perpetuating various stereotypes about women, and there are certainly guys' parties where girls are not welcome. It may be a bit more trendy right now with regards to women-only groups due to the socio-political climate, but I would not say that this is a novel phenomenon.

There is also the factor that most people on college campuses are very green and have very little real world experience. They tend to take good ideas to their bad extremes, and they tend to believe that simply having good intentions implies taking the right action - hence why you see so much extremism such as advocacy for affirmative action, because people genuinely think that they are doing a service to minorities with such an open gesture of support, and do not think about the repercussions of it.

I personally have never been affected by this group mentality. Granted, I have had my own periods of typical for teenagers maximalism and idealism, but it has never manifested in thinking about people in terms of groups. It could be my upbringing: my parents always taught me that it does not matter who you are, it only matters what choices you make in life, and anyone can succeed with a properly selected sequence of actions. I have never tried interacting preferentially with guys, for example, and I have never seen every woman as a primarily romantic interest either. I treat everyone as individual, regardless of their gender, skin color and so on, and so far it has worked well.

Also, wow, Australia! It has been my dream country ever since I visited it in 2009. Things played out differently and I ended up in the US, and I love this country as well - but somewhere on the back of my mind I am still a bit of an Australian.
    Blastcat
  • @MayCaesar Yeah Australia is really nice. I was partially raised in America and it’s okay (but I prefer Australia. Nobody’s asking me to put a shrimp on the barbie) ;) I pretty much just have a general dislike for the radical feminists. 
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    You are speaking from privilege, and need to check your privilege.
    MichaelElpersitsnicolemate
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed

You need to check your privledge.
    AmericanFurryBoysmoothie
  • Woman are apposed by men the reality of sexual discrimination is one of many issues. Woman are also mistreated by other woman and this becomes a discrimination as well.

itsnicolemateBlastcat
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed

You need to check your privledge.
    Reported for trolling. Leave me alone.
  • @YeshuaRedeemed And how do you know that I am speaking from privilege? You don’t know about me at all.
  • @John_C_87 But doesn’t it go around the other way too? Is toxic femininity becoming a bigger and bigger issue? That’s my question. I’m not saying that there aren’t cases of men being pricks to women and that there aren’t cases of women being pricks to men. What I am saying is that feminists nowadays are taking things to extremes and that they are calling all men biggots even though most men aren’t. That’s my argument.
  • MichaelElpersMichaelElpers 1121 Pts   -  
    @YeshuaRedeemed

Lol you dont think you have privledge.  you think youre allowed to tell others they do but if they say the same to you they should be reported...what a double standard.

I dont actually think you have privledge the irony is just funny.
    Shamgurd
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    There's some great arguments here, a decent amount of reference to third world countries where Women are truly oppressed. The issue here is that VERY few organizations in the United States devote ANY of their time to assisting the Women of the world who actually are oppressed. 

I happen to agree with the OP in regards to Men being oppressed. Unfairness is sad and injustice isn't good for anyone but systematic targeting and laws made specifically to criminalize only Men can easily fall into the oppression category.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

@Vaulk

I would disagree. There is quite a few organisations in the US dealing with various human rights violations in less fortunate societies, plus many affiliated with foreign organisations. They just do not get a lot of air time, because people generally are more interested in local events. It is hard to grab people's attention by talking about some cause focused on helping people on the other end of Earth.

I do wish people talked about it more, of course. It is quite sad to see a woman complaining about being patted on the head by her male boss, when there are places where women get 200 lashes for leaving their home without their husband's permission. One should not lower their standards based on the standards of the worst places on Earth, but some perspective is always helpful.
    Blastcat
  • ShamgurdShamgurd 27 Pts   -  
    i agree One should not lower their standards based on the standards of the worst places on Earth @MayCaesar very well said

but on the topic of men being oppressed i 100% agree (granted i am a man) i am a white christian conservative man, throw in my young age of being almost 21 and i feel like it is the worst era to be me. of course it is not physical abuse no one is slapping my in the face with a brick because of my gender, but is the eye of MOST society i am put into the class of racist,rapist,bigots, and women haters when i am in non of those parties.

i always i understand what has happened  in the past, but the past is the past i couldn't help it nor could i stop it. It was out of my control and that being said i should not be punished for it  
  • I think you seem to have internalised misogyny. Also man spreading on public transportation is inconsiderate to the person sitting beside them, and needing to air out their balls is no excuse. If airing out your balls is that important, then don't sit on public transportation. Just because I have period cramps and have the overwhelming urge to crawl into fetal position, does not mean I act on this impulse, because after all, it is still a public place and I must practice civility. Hence, man-spreading is rude to me. 
    itsnicolemate
  • Have you considered why men choose better/more esteemed careers? It is because women need to make allowances for family emergencies and pregnancies that may occur layer in life. Women are taught to prioritise family, and there is nothing wrong in that. Unequal domestic division of labour results in people settling for less. It is a systemic problem. For example, if a man chooses to spend time with his own children, it is seen as babysitting while the woman doing the same action is seen as carrying out a duty. This is why men seem as though they are ambitious but women are seen to be settling with less, although it is not their fault. There is only 24 hours in a day, and they have to balance both home and work while a man can solely focus on work, while expecting spousal support ( I. E. their spouse volunteers to take familial burdens on their behalf, so the man no longer is expected to do his share)  This dynamic is true for many Asian countries, although I can't speak for the rest. 
    itsnicolemate
  • @Vaulk
    I disagree that men of your socio-economic class/orientation etc.  are being targeted. You seem to think that the past is totally disconnected from the present. The truth is, systems are built on the past rather than built from scratch, hence there is systemic oppression against women till today. While you may not have personally caused it, people who share your traits often do not use their privilege for good. Examples of privileged people that have used it for good include Marilyn Monroe, who advocated for a black female singer by sitting front seat in all of her shows, and Jane Fonda who repeatedly advocated for climate change action and even got arrested. It is valid that people of privilege do not seem to be doing enough, compared to these role models. Hence by concluding that you are being targeted, you are missing the point. 
    itsnicolemate
  • @itsnicolemate ;

Woman are appressed by discrimination and both woman and men can discriminative towards woman. This was why it is important that people be held both constitutionally and democratically accountable to create all woman equal under law.,

itsnicolemateBlastcat
    @SnigdhaBhattacharya it isn't that we need to ''airing them out'' its the matter of are legs squashing them which could cause health problems plus its painful as hell
    itsnicolemate
    @SnigdhaBhattacharya to be honest there is a simply fix to all of this, women you want a career? go to college you wanna do that with ease? don't have kids. don't wanna have kids? don't have sex 
    men wanna do the same thing? read what i sent to the women. 
    i would like to be a stay at home dad or a working man but since my girlfriend wishes to stay at home so i go to work
    it works both ways, some men are forced to go to work and some women are for to stay home 
    some women are forced to go to work and some men are forced to stay at home
    it sucks but its life
    Vaulkitsnicolemate
  • VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -  
    @Vaulk
    I disagree that men of your socio-economic class/orientation etc.  are being targeted. You seem to think that the past is totally disconnected from the present. The truth is, systems are built on the past rather than built from scratch, hence there is systemic oppression against women till today. While you may not have personally caused it, people who share your traits often do not use their privilege for good. Examples of privileged people that have used it for good include Marilyn Monroe, who advocated for a black female singer by sitting front seat in all of her shows, and Jane Fonda who repeatedly advocated for climate change action and even got arrested. It is valid that people of privilege do not seem to be doing enough, compared to these role models. Hence by concluding that you are being targeted, you are missing the point. 
    The point I've made is included in the OP's original argument, that "Men are the ones being oppressed, not Women".

If you'd like to debate that point, which is part of this debate, I'd be happy to cite the reasons why the perceived oppression upon Women is, in comparison, smaller or less significant than the oppression upon Men.  If you have no interest in debating it then I'm just as happy to move onto someone who's willing to contribute to the debate.
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• itsnicolemateitsnicolemate 14 Pts   -  
    @Shamgurd Yes sir.