frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is mathematics more useful than science?

Debate Information

Since if not all then definitely most branches of science are not able to do (especially at the advance level) without a good grasp of mathematics then I will argue that mathematics is more useful. 

Btw I'm really not interested in myths about Einstein not being good at math when the truth is he actually mastered calculus and algebra by age 15.
RS_masterJosh_Drake

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    Image result for purity of sciences
    PlaffelvohfenxlJ_dolphin_473
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • Science.

a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/science.

Mathematics.

: the science of numbers and their operations

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mathematics

Blastcat
  • Science gave us ice-cream math gave us more than one flavor.
    RS_masterBlastcat
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5970 Pts   -   edited January 2020
    Mathematics is a purely abstract science. It is arguably the most sophisticated science in existence and the most universal, but alone, without applications, it is practically useless. Some of us are crazy enough to become pure mathematicians; we do not care about applications as much and simply study mathematics for the sake of it, for the enjoyment of solving logical puzzles - but from the practical standpoint such approach is not very effective.

For mathematics to become significantly useful to humanity, it has to be applied to something. And that application takes place in softer sciences, such as physics, computer science or chemistry. These sciences fundamentally deal with a very different kind of entities: rather than being built on top of a set of abstract axioms, they instead try to model the observations made in the real world as best as possible. They rely on mathematics to quantify and justify the plausibility of their models, but they are very different from mathematics in their structure.

I do want to emphasise the distinction between pure and applied mathematics: while there is no hard line between the two, in general applied mathematicians focus on research venues that can be relatively quickly applied to something, while pure mathematicians focus on very abstract things that are unlikely to be applied to anything any time soon. Accordingly, applied mathematicians are funded significantly better.
    Make no mistake, however: applied mathematics is still mathematics. The problems come from softer sciences, but mathematicians do not use those sciences to solve them; they use purely mathematical apparatus. Sometimes they later try to actually apply them to those sciences, usually in collaboration with scientists from the respective fields - but that is not their primary line of work.

Finally, I want to clarify something: you do not need to have a good grasp of mathematics to do research in virtually any other field. Now, obviously what is considered "good" in this context depends on your perspective; but I would venture that any Bachelor of Science in mathematics who has graduated from a strong program knows far more mathematics than he/she will ever need in absolutely any other scientific field (and if he/she does not know something, he/she will be able to quickly learn it). Mathematical apparatus found in physics, chemistry, biology, etc. is very-very primitive compared to what professional mathematicians work on. Professional mathematicians do a very deep theoretical work, obtain solutions that can be expressed in a relatively straightforward way, and those solutions are then used in other sciences. 
    A physicist, for example, will almost never need to prove any mathematical theorems; while for a mathematician proving theorems is their bread and butter. And proving theorems is hard. Not to say that a physicist's work is necessarily easier, but the difficulty does not lay in the mathematical aspect of the work.
    The problem with Einstein was not that he was "not good" at mathematics, but that he required mathematical apparatus to formulate his General Relativity theory that at the time was barely developed. So he had to invent a lot of mathematics from scratch, for which he enlisted help of leading mathematicians - and compared to those leading mathematicians, indeed, he was not good at math. Compared to virtually any other physicist in existence - yes, he was very-very good.

In conclusion, I would respond to your question as follows: mathematics can be both extremely useful and virtually useless, and its practical use lays solely in its application to other sciences, not in itself. You cannot really say that it is more or less useful than other sciences; as it is only useful in conjunction with them.
    It is like asking, "What is more useful: stove or rice?" You need a stove to cook rice, but if you do not have rice, then your stove is useless. Both are essential ingredients. You can eat raw rice, which will only give you a tiny fraction of its benefits. And having a stove without rice, you cannot even do that.
    ZeusAres42Josh_DrakeBlastcat
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    Since if not all then definitely most branches of science are not able to do (especially at the advance level) without a good grasp of mathematics then I will argue that mathematics is more useful. 

Btw I'm really not interested in myths about Einstein not being good at math when the truth is he actually mastered calculus and algebra by age 15.
    @ZeusAres42 you are missing something here. Maths is a branch of science and is used in science
    ZeusAres42
    John_C_87 said:
    Science gave us ice-cream math gave us more than one flavor.
    John_C_87 said:
    @John_C_87 science and maths gave us everything and not only ice scream. Robots, planes, computers, this website, theories, understanding of the universe, periodic table, plastic, metal e.t.c
    joke: You are also missing that quarks have 6 flavours.
  • @RS_master ;
    Forgive..........Try and listen to what is meant............Physics is the most important science. It let's us know we can cook the whole forests and not just one chicken on pot.

Blastcat
  • @ZeusAres42 ;
    For some people simple direction is a dangerous thing.
    Blastcat
  • YeshuaBoughtYeshuaBought 669 Pts   -  
    I say no because science is the method through which medicine and healthcare methods are derived, and people need that to survive.
  • Is healthcare a science now?
    Blastcat
    John_C_87 said:
    @RS_master ;
    Forgive..........Try and listen to what is meant............Physics is the most important science. It let's us know we can cook the whole forests and not just one chicken on pot.

@John_C_87 healthcare is a science.

2. All of science is important. Biology shows how life evolved into a complex organism like humans. Could the same be for the outside world? Chemistry is a study on substances. What is there in the outside world?

3. Physics is a science. Science and math are related thus physics uses maths but this does not mean physics is maths.

John_C_87 said:
    4. This does not mean                                                                                                   

• xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1712 Pts   -  
    John_C_87 said:
    Is healthcare a science now?
    Yes, healthcare is a science.
    PlaffelvohfenYeshuaBought
    John_C_87 said:
    In some ways, yes. Modern medicinal methods, are based, on scientific, methods, and studies. Let me give you an example: As I have previously stated, I live with mental illnesses. The medications I take, are derived, from many years of accidental discoveries, and scientific studies. I say on Facebook, that current research is being done, to delelope medicines, for people, with autism spectrum disorder. Studies are also being doing to develope medicines, to prevent miscarriges, and fight cancer. That is why I think healthcare is in part, based on science.
    John_C_87 said:
    Agreed. Many studies are being done, to research various medicines.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    This question makes very little sense to me, it's like asking : Are words more useful than sentences...
    Happy_KillbotsmoothiexlJ_dolphin_473
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • This question makes very little sense to me, it's like asking : Are words more useful than sentences...

@Plaffelvohfen While I don't agree with your analogy due to the dissimilarity between the two I do agree that the question is to a degree rather non-sensical. Hence, while I have refrained from posting on it since haha. Mind you, I did have one too many drinks that night before I post this haha.
    PlaffelvohfenJosh_Drake

• This question makes very little sense to me, it's like asking : Are words more useful than sentences...
    Not in my case...….
    Blastcat
  • John_C_87 said:

I'm not sure...markiting can use science though I'm not sure it is a science. please go on...
    John_C_87 said:
    John_C_87 said:

I'm not sure...markiting can use science though I'm not sure it is a science. please go on...
    Healthcare science covers areas from tissue analysis to pathology (the study of disease). The scientific method is used to develop new treatments. So yes, healthcare is a science.
    https://brightknowledge.org/medicine-and-healthcare/what-is-healthcare-science
    Plaffelvohfen
  • @xlJ_dolphin_473 ;

Where I view biopsy and pathology particular study of medical science, medical science is the particular study of chemistry you are telling me Health Care is the covering of multiple areas of individual science. I will presume you are right for debate and skip to asking how is Health Care not dependent on mathematics to even work?

John_C_87 said:
    @xlJ_dolphin_473 ;

Where I view biopsy and pathology particular study of medical science, medical science is the particular study of chemistry you are telling me Health Care is the covering of multiple areas of individual science. I will presume you are right for debate and skip to asking how is Health Care not dependent on mathematics to even work?

It is dependent on mathematics, but that ain’t the point. True that there would be no healthcare without mathematics, but without healthcare, there would be very few people in this world, and those who were alive would live in constant fear. I do not deny that mathematics is fundamental, but I don’t think that makes it more important than healthcare science.