frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Physical books are better than e-reader or tablet books

Debate Information

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer actual books vs kindle or tablets.  I enjoy turning pages and feeling a physical copy of the book.  
If some of you ebook readers would like to persuade me then I am open to a debate.
ale5
  1. Live Poll

Physical books are better than e-reader or tablet books

4 votes
    1. Physical books
      25.00%
    2. E-reader
      75.00%
About Persuade Me

Persuaded Argument

• AlwaysCorrectAlwaysCorrect 279 Pts   -   edited July 2017
    @love2debate

You can do that with ereaders: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320. Not only that but you won't have issues like I've had before lending books out where it is returned in poor condition or (as happened once) with writing inside! You can even do it remotely so the person doesn't have to physically be with you, though they do need an e reader of their own.

I held on to physical books for quite a while, but eventually ran into a few problems which converted me:

1) There is only so much space in my house for books, I've basically hit that limit and I don't want to get rid of any to make room for new ones.

2) I'm environmentally conscious so I cycle to work. Cycling 50 kilometres with a book in my bag not only made the journey harder (more weight = tougher cycle) but also ran the risk of damaging the books. A kindle is lighter than a book and in a carrying case it doesn't get damaged.

3) Ebooks books are cheaper. The reason I first got into them early this year because a book I wanted was 99p on Kindle and £9.99 for a hard copy. They're also delivered instantaneously.

4) Some books are free. Copyright is not eternal but runs out after a few decades, so if you want to read an older book you can often do so for free with an e reader. I just downloaded Clausewitz's On War volume 1 the other day and read Pride and Prejudice a few months back this way.
    love2debateale5

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    Carrying around, storing old books is a burden.  It is also often cheaper to get e-books vs paperback.
    agsr
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    @WhyTrump, with physical books I cN also lt others borrow them and add to my library collection.  I can't really do that with ebooks.
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    @AlwaysCorrect, I didn't know about these features. That is helpful.  Thanks.  You petsuaded me to try out will try it out. I will buy first one on kindle.
  • SylynnSylynn 71 Pts   -  
    I have an appreciation for both. As far as my preference for reading, I do prefer to hold a physical book and read from actual pages rather than a screen. I also like being able to engage in activities that don't require technology and I don't want to have to worry about charging a device in order to read. That said, if I'm going somewhere and want to take a book with me, it's impractical to pack a collection of books when you can just have them on my iPad that I'm already taking with me anyway. Many of the books I own, I have in both a kindle version as well as the physical copy.