frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

IPhone is better than Android

Debate Information

I used to carry a blackberry for awhile and initially resisted the iPhone switch.  Now that I've been in the Apple ecosystem for a few years, I will argue that Apple is better than Android phones. 
The key drivers for me:
1) great selection of apps
2) interface that just works, and no need for instructions.

Happy to be persuaded otherwise.
joecavalryDarthNithinsomeone234
  1. Live Poll

iPhone vs Android

19 votes
    1. IPhone
      31.58%
    2. Android
      68.42%
Live Long and Prosper

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ImbsterImbster 149 Pts   -   edited July 2017
    Personal experience isn't really something to argue with but I'd just like to share also. Android has an open source operating system and I find it easier to crack. Which I guess is piracy in your country.

I have not tried an iPhone but my parents have one each and the android that I have repeatedly abused and overcharged lasts longer than theirs. And this is perfectly reasonable because, Their phones were iPhone 7's so I will use it as an example, it has a non-removable battery Lithium-ion 1960 mAh battery(lower value less battery life) and mine was 4000 mAh battery. I've had my eyes now on the Cloudfone Next because it is under 10k Php and what I've noticed is that phones beyond 10k Php always have better processors so yes that iPhone 7 has a 2.34 Ghz Quad-Core top it off with good RAM and internal mems you have quite a gameplay.

http://www.techpinas.com/2017/01/best-android-smartphones-below-php.html
    I am to conclude the battery is simply a bit too low to compete with androids.

iPhone 7 specs
    http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_7-8064.php
    Plus version
    http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_7_plus-8065.php

The plus version is really an upgrade for battery at 2900 mAh but most androids now are at 4000+ mAh

I have been with a very crappy Lenovo A5000 for a long time but I can still play NBA Live Mobile.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_a5000-7167.php

If we were to talk about just purely aesthetic I'd concede to iPhone.
    agsr
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Imbster, these are valid points.
    I agree that ability to root (hack) the phone, and potentially battery maybe superior in android.  It is a good option for DYI enthusiasts.
    However, apps and as you said overall esthetics are better in iPhone.
    for mainstream users iPhone is still a better option.
    Imbster
    Live Long and Prosper
  • ImbsterImbster 149 Pts   -  
    @agsr

Haha I find it easier to commit piracy with android thanks to the open source OS. I don't have to spend dollars for songs or games perhaps e-books too.
    Erfisflat
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @Imbster, for those whose goal is piracy..sure, android is better.
    Imbsterlove2debate
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    A good reason for android is to avoid vendor lock in. Apple locks down the device and ecosystem. For example, on android you can install apps such as Kodi to enable streaming with lots of content.  Also, android app store is much easier to get into vs apple requires a larger fee.
    CYDdharta
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • ChangeMyViewChangeMyView 61 Pts   -  
    Android is wait better than Apple.  Why would you want to lock yourself into Apple, when Android is so much more open, has better selection of phones, and gives you more control?
    CYDdhartaErfisflat
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @ChangeMyView and @ale5,
    while good points regarding vendor lock in and it's true that some apps are only available on Android, overall apps quality on apple is higher and user experience is still better.  
    Also, on apple I can also get AirPods that are far better than any other ear pods.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    iPhone has much higher standard, a better OS, better hardware, much higher content standard for the App Store etc.
    agsr
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    I've tried both phones and android seemed better for me. It was just less restrictive and much easier to use. You had more settings to suit your preferences, and its not because I do piracy.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @1Hacker0, that is very true that for those who prefer control and customization android is better.  Most people though prefer simplicity and better selection or high quality apps.
    JohnKramer
    Live Long and Prosper
  • I know this may be an old conversation, but I want my two cents in here. Think about it like this? WHICH of the two yells AFFORDABILITY? If Android never came into existence, would the billions of people worldwide that can barely afford anything yet, need internet to work be able to get an iPhone? What about us people that don't want what can buy a LAPTOP spent on a PHONE? Is it fair that all we'd BARELY be able to get are older, used models? For those who are strapped on cash, they can technically just have an android phablet and likely do a LOT with it, without spending SO MUCH on an iPhone! Also, people say iPhones are automatically better, yet forget the VAST amount of choices Android has. You can CHOOSE to get something BETTER or at least just as good when it comes to Android. Like people have stated before, it's SO OPEN, meaning if it's not doing that well now, you can MAKE IT do better. iPhone BARELY allows this and from what I heard, SLOWS DOWN their older models before their newer models come out JUST so people buy the newer models! How slimy is that??
    agsr
  • @ChangeMyView No proof. There is no evidence that airpods are any better than the other brand and of course being Apple, costs and arm and leg. Also, the likeliness that a NON Apple brand will see airpods and make something similar but WAY better is VERY high. They see it as an expensive bare bones accessory. Why should it be? Why not have multiple components to make the sound BETTER, the connect-ability BETTER, and the comfort-ability BETTER? AND actually have a DECENT price?
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @SatanIsReal666, agree on affordability..but ease of use and apps still make it better for me
    Live Long and Prosper
  •  @agsr That's another thing. There is always a way to quickly adjust the ease of use and apps. Keep in mind too that the Google Play store has WAY more apps than Apple and for some of the best, it won't cost 5$. Google Play had 2.8 million apps in their store while Apple had only 2.2 million. Given, like stated before, that many are not free, that limits the average user even more. I particularly hate the Windows store because it has barely a fourth of that. You'd think because some actually cost and that fewer are allowed would make for better apps? NOPE. With the windows store, over and over I see apps rated 1 star. Not sure if the trend is the same with Apple, but I have a hunch that it's similar in some ways. When it comes to ease of use, I feel it's better to just invest a few minutes on how your device works. Imagine if Apple becomes a sudden easy target for viruses. It usually isn't messed with, but if it is, you are locked in your Apple universe and may have to pay to defend against threats. You won't be able to customize the phone yourself. Or if your storage ever goes low, there's little you can do besides deleting apps. In the end of the day, whatever Apple gives you is what you get. You can't go beyond what Apple wants you to. You can't improve things on your own. You have to hope Apple feels like it or you are stuck. Why is it that is 10x easier to get the newest android operating system on a super old Android phone than it is to get the newest iOS on a somewhat old Apple device? That is beyond unfair. It may be called "i" this or "i" that, but is it really about you? Or is Apple about how it'll control what you have? You admitted Android is a whole lot cheaper. It'll continue to be and proves time and time again that it can make decent phones at an affordable price. WHY can't Apple do the same? Perhaps they are not great quality as they claim. Or they are for the first three months but deteriorate after that. Why spend what you do on a laptop for that? You can buy 10 newer android devices for the price of ONE iPhone. That's BEYOND insulting to ANYONE'S wallet. 
    agsr
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @SlanderIsNotDebate1995, these are all valid points.  I am also at times frustrated with the way they handled the battery issue And how they lock down the experience.  While I agree with most of the points, you are not addressing the fact that end to end integrated user experience is still superior for Apple.  Most users seek simplicity vs control, and that's what is driving success of the product in this case
    Live Long and Prosper
  • @agsr I know this conversation is VERY old and I apologize for being so late to response, but here it is. Android is adjustable. HIGHLY adjustable. In fact, you can even have an android that runs EXACTLY like an iphone. SO MUCH SO, that some can BARELY see the difference! If end to end integrated user experience is a issue. believe me, you can find an Android that will be WONDERFUL for this. Maybe the thing with Android is that there are SO MANY options and it can overload somebody who just wants something smart and simple. However, I encourage you to possibly try an android tablet or something just to have a bit of curiosity knowledge about it. Maybe look at a friend's android device and compare a bit. I used to use macs in elementary school and that's my bit of knowledge on macs. The rest is through my parents having apple products and even going to an Apple store a few times. I encourage you to be curious about Android as it may become an OS in the future for vital things which Apple will not, so knowing a bit about it will always be a plus. 
    Erfisflatagsr
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @SlanderIsNotDebate1995, I agree about trying android device is fine, but switching from an Apple device to android seems to many like a step backward.  It’s not about just the iPhone, but the surrounding ecosystem. Many Apple users also get other Apple devices and use features auch as AirPlay.  AirPods, Apple TV, iWatch, etc. 
    Live Long and Prosper
  • @agsr I completely understand, but I think the accessories part is a HUGE mistake. Of course Apple WANTS you to have other RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED products as they make plenty of bank on that too. But I have HIGH doubts the accessories are that great. Like Airpods..... no doubt you can buy cheaper versions of the same that give a LOT more. The bass boosted, the lower price, the bluetooth range, etc. One of the reason for airpods in the first place is they ELIMINATED the HEADPHONE JACK!!! WHY would people buy from them after that??? Now, you HAVE to buy ANOTHER accessory to use regular headphones (that of course, they want THEIR brand and you can lose it quite easily) OR you are STUCK with battery draining BLUETOOTH which of course the brand they want is airpods, which again, small and quite easy to loose. I think the watch is SUPER pointless whether iWatch or Android Wear. Really, it seems like a TINY phone on your arm and not much else. I see little points in it. Apple TV? What's the point if Airplay is so good? Can't airplay just beam your mac book screen to a TV??? Also, Android has ALL of these things available of MULTIPLE different brands with ALL KINDS of features Apple does not. I would not say switch from an Apple device to an Android right away, but for sure really think about it. Like I said, one day, Android may be like Windows for certain things where Apple doesn't do anything so it's a good idea to have knowledge of what they can do. In my opinion, Apple is a step backwards. Why lock down a user so much? If I payed for a device, I want to use it any way I want and Apple says NO to that while Android says YES. 
    agsr
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Your points are all good, except you underestimate importance of ease of use and integration of devices in the apple ecosystem. Their simplicity and user experience is just so elegant, and that's what's appealing.  True that Android gives in some cases better price, functionality, and flexibility.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • Mr_BombasticMr_Bombastic 144 Pts   -  
    @agsr

The best phone is the one you like best. And more people like Android.
  • CheesusFarleyCheesusFarley 27 Pts   -  
    1. Android has more apps than iOS as of 2018 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/)
    2. Simple Mode is in the settings... Somewhere... Don't worry; you can just go type in Simple Mode in the search bar on top of your screen while settings are open. Also, what would you need to do extra to open up Youtube? You sign in and go through your apps or search for it in the search bar.
  • someone234someone234 647 Pts   -   edited August 2018
    If you are of average to low IQ, Apple is built better for you.

If you are of high IQ and enjoy menus that are well organised but take a lot of detailed memory to work your way around as well as coding that actually takes effort, then Google phones and tablets are for you.
    Erfisflat
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer