frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

We are all agnostic.

Debate Information

Whether we like to admit it or not, we are all agnostic.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @TruthSearcher I think that if there is an argument to be made here, it is purely semantic.

To be gnostic is to be absolutely certain of your position, so you can be a gnostic theist, (meaning you are 100% sure a god exists) or a gnostic atheist (you are 100% certain no god exists) or have varying degrees of agnosticism, meaning that you are not sure either way, even if you strongly lean one way or another.

Plaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • I understand your argument. My claim is that no one is certain (at least no one has ever convinced me of their certainty). My stance is that despite what people claim, there is no such thing as 100% certainty.
  • Basically, if you tell me you are certain, you are lying to me and you may be lying to yourself.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    I do not consider myself agnostic. The word "agnostic" has this neutral connotation, as if you consider the possibilities of god's existence and non-existence as somehow comparable probabilistically.

Theism is completely made up by humans and has zero ground in reality. That makes it obsolete in my eyes, and I do not take the possibility of god's existence seriously. Can I prove that it does not exist? No, but nor do I need to. I also cannot prove that invisible pink unicorns do not exist, but that does not mean that their existence is a possibility to be considered.

God does not exist, and the whole idea of god is utterly ridiculous. People should think about matters relevant to their lives, and while fantasising is okay and can even be useful, one should always know where reality ends and fantasy starts.
    Blastcat
  • Prejudice-

1 : injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prejudice

GOD exists it is the written number of eighty-nine using letters and mathematics, I do see quite clearly however where the disconnect form religious prejudice does not exist. 

• @MayCaesar but you’re admitting that you don’t know for certain.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5965 Pts   -  
    @TruthSearcher

Strictly speaking, yes. But I do not consider it as a possibility either.

Suppose you are driving on a highway; you close your eyes and press on gas fully. If you do so, you know well that you will be dead or, at least, severely hurt 10 minutes from now. Do you know it with 100% certainty? No, but you know it well enough that you will not seriously consider any alternatives.

It is a bit like this here. I do not have a mathematical proof that god does not exist, but I know in my mind that the possibility of its existence is not something I need to think about.
    Blastcat
  • Fair enough - as long as you are acknowledging the possibility.
    MayCaesar
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    @TruthSearcher ; Incorrect. I am NOT an agnostic!
    ag·nos·tic
    /aɡˈnästik/
    noun
    noun: agnostic; plural noun: agnostics
    a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

I know that God exists because...

1) The supernatural Universe and the complex human genome demand design and commonsense demands a Designer.

2) God entered Time 2019-yrs ago and walked among us in the flesh for 33.5-years and only the , historically ignorant, naive, deny the reality and historicity of Jesus Christ.

3) The God of the Universe has provided and articulated a written Covenant between Himself and His creation and that Covenant remains the best selling, most popular Book in the history of mankind. A Covenant that spans 1400-1600-years, 3-languages, 3-Continents, 40-writers and provides a coherent worldview with corresponding truth that defines origin-meaning-morality-destiny and directly answers with logical consistency, empirical adequacy, experiential relevance.

4) God the Holy Spirit has clearly articulated that anyone who denies the existence of our Creator is both a and a fool (MEME)...I seek neither descriptor for my life and believe that Jesus Christ is God who died to pay my sin-debt so that I could be forgiven of sin and receive a pardon from death in sin and death in Hell by grace through faith in Jesus for the mediation of sin (John 3:16).

Blastcat
  • But you don’t know for certain.
  • You are afraid to say you are uncertain, but you are.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @TruthSearcher ; I KNOW with absolute certainty because I possess the Spirit of God and I have walked with Him for 27-years and I can testify of His faithfulness, goodness...I cannot deny what I know to be Truth. You can know this as well if you're willing to throw-away the futility of unbelief and sit, pray, read carefully the "Gospel of John" in the New Testament and ask God the Holy Spirit to reveal Truth to you.

Blastcat
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD So what would you say then, to someone who KNOWS with absolute certainty that a different god, Vishnu perhaps, is true because they have accepted the spirit of Vishnu into their heart and has walked with him for 27 years and can testify to his faithfulness, goodness, and cannot deny what they know to be true?

Are you not throwing away the futility of worshiping Jesus when you deny the reality of Vishnu? Has he not revealed his truth to you?
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• Sorry Ricky D. Been there, done that. Realized that I was doing what everyone else was doing. Hoping it was true and also fearing that not believing would condemn me to hell. But then I realized that if a loving god created me with a logical mind, he wouldn’t expect me to separate the truth of man from the lies of man, without any direct evidence. Men could have written the Bible just as well as the Koran or any other book telling me to believe it’s word as fact. I can’t separate them. You can’t either. You’ve just convinced yourself that you can.
  • Everything you know of god, you learned from....man.
  • RickeyDRickeyD 953 Pts   -  
    @TruthSearcher ; It's your life and your Eternity...enjoy.
    Blastcat
  • Thanks, you too.
    RickeyD
  • If you believe god exists than you are not as the definition means to not believe in the existence of god. I act as if god exists, and so do many people, which basically means to believe.
    Happy_Killbot
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 5557 Pts   -   edited February 2020
    @smartconservative

This is kind of a semantic difference, but just acting as if god exists doesn't mean you are sure it does, in order to be considered "not agnostic" you have to be gnostic, meaning 100% sure. Thus belief lies on a spectrum, Dawkins uses 1-7, 1 being 100% theist, 7 100% atheist, and everything else varying shades of agnostic. The argument the OP makes is that no one is a complete 1 or 7, but rather just comes very close.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of_theistic_probability

• Normal_1Normal_1 54 Pts   -  
    Very good question I think.
    After all, technically speaking, even a staunch atheist would be 99.9999% atheist owing to the infintesimally small reason of doubt that God cannot be ruled out.

So, we are all agnostic in that, if one were to consider the number of religions and Gods worshiped (there are currently around 10,000) a Christian, for example would reject 9,999 religions.
    And really, the only difference between a Christian and say Richard Dawkins is that Dawkins disbelieves only one more religion than the Christian.

@TruthSearcher