frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

How should 3rd party insurance companies handle mental illness when it comes to their policies?

Debate Information

Myself and many others suffer from mental illness.  Even though I have insurance, it was the lowest thru my work place, they do not cover anything to do with mental illness.  I had Cigna and even though I paid the lowest because of the name I thought everything was covered. Most people  think that because the name of the company is on the card that it is your insurance.  I found out that Cigna is not my  actual carrier but is carried by a 3rd party inky dinky insurance company.  I have to pay out of pocket for my mental illness.  I am soon  to run out of my medicine and can not get any more till I see a psych doctor.  This is medicine that helps keep my illness under control. Some say well then just go see the doctor but remember I pay out of pocket.  What the center forgot to tell me was I had to see a therapist 3 times at $120 a visit before the psych doctor. Even if I got to the doc for my medicine how would I be able to pay for them.  Some of these drugs are very expensive. It is disturbing and  I hate to think that many people with mental illness that have health coverage are walking around untreated because of 3rd party insurance policies.
Classygal1

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5969 Pts   -  
    Something to understand about insurance companies is that they insure you with the expectation that you will pay more money to the company than the company will have to cover for you. That is the only way it works mathematically: insurance is supposed to be statistically a bad deal for you, otherwise the insurance company cannot make profit off you. So, unless you have some unexpected complication, generally you are going to be better off by paying for everything out of your own pocket, than by having an insurance.
    Now, if your employer offers insurance, then that is a different matter, and you definitely should take the offer. But employers generally are not willing to pay for high quality insurance for you, unless we are talking about a very high-paid position such as that of a Google software engineer.

I have rosacea, which is a condition leading to chronic redness and vulnerability of facial skin. It is not a harmful condition and it barely affects anything other than looks, but looks are pretty important in the modern society, and this condition has caused me a lot of self-esteem issues in the past (still does, to some extent). There is no cure for this condition, as there is little incentive for companies to look for one, given how they profit off helping people cope with it. As a result, if I want to contain the condition, I have to pay quite a bit of money out of my wallet (insurances rarely cover cosmetic-related procedures). It is a sad state of affairs, but this is how life works: it does not always play into your hand, and you have to adapt your individual circumstances to the world around you.

If the drug prices are an issue, try to buy generics. Better yet, if you can afford it, find a country where you can get cheaper versions of those drugs without prescription, and shop there.
    There is no ultimate solution, but there are ways to reduce expenses dramatically. Do not just blindly buy whatever your doctor prescribes (hospitals have contracts with drug companies, leading to strongly inflated standard prescription drug prices); negotiate your way and try to get your doctor to prescribe you cheaper alternatives. If you can find something similar that you can buy on the counter, even if it is not a perfect substitute - buy that instead.
  • PlaffelvohfenPlaffelvohfen 3985 Pts   -  
    @ChastityWallace

Vote Bernie in 2020, problem solved...
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "