frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Are sports useless?

Debate Information

Sports do little to unite us in our communities, countries, or internationally. Sports are dangerous. What purpose does chucking that ball (or whatever your sport does) serve? None. Completely frivolous, with no ensured benefit.
Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNovaTheObserverTGMasterXxlJ_dolphin_473
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlexOlandAlexOland 313 Pts   -  
    Some people find it entertaining to watch. Some people have fun participating in it. So, sports are not useless to people who like them.

I am not a sports person but I have to admit that watching Muhammad Ali's fights was not a boring activity in any way. So, sports are only useless in the same way that a chocolate is useless. Sure, you don't need chocolate to live on but it tastes good so you eat it.
    OppolzerZombieguy1987SilverishGoldNovaTGMasterX
  • K_MichaelK_Michael 114 Pts   -  
    @AlexOland
    Maybe it's just me, but watching a handful of people run around or punch each other on a screen is the most frivolous activity I have ever seen. I find it useless. TV is for sharing the CREATIVITY of others around the world. Even an advertisement was created from scratch, combining the story genius of some and the acting ability of others, amongst other things. I understand the purpose of playing sports for personal skill and enjoyment, but see no benefit or entertainment value. You could watch football every day and it wouldn't help you get better. Every game is just a series of certain movements with constant mistakes.
    So, to perhaps be more clear, sports have benefits in your personal life, but nothing that martial arts (an ART, not a sport) or something similar, couldn't accomplish, and these things would have real life applications. I personally participate in martial arts and receive ACTUAL benefits in addition to the physical strength and agility that a football player would gain. 
    Zombieguy1987SilverishGoldNovabeckysmithTGMasterX
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited January 2019
    @K_Michael Most martial arts are considered sports.
    Zombieguy1987GenghisKhuntK_MichaelTGMasterX
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • AlexOlandAlexOland 313 Pts   -  
    @K_Michael I did not say people watch sports to get better at sports. I said they watch it because it is entertaining. This is not something you can object to, this is a fact. Some people find sports entertaining to watch.
    Zombieguy1987K_MichaelGenghisKhuntTGMasterX
    Now it's a question whether entertainment has inherent good or use.
    SilverishGoldNovaGenghisKhuntTGMasterXRS_master
  • Jroberts0096Jroberts0096 8 Pts   -  
    Sports as a whole are much more than people punching or throwing the ball around. When you learn the rules and watch and see it is clear how much work, and sometimes its a masterpiece unfolding in front of you. Also TV TV is not just to show off creativity, it is to access things you could not normally see. For example TV shows exist because it became better than having to go out and watch a play every night. Sports provide people with entertainment, but also you are forgetting the tremendous amount of jobs created by the sports industry. There are majors that were created simply for sports, sports journalism, and almost all of health sciences. If you said sports are useless, then you would also have to say TV shows are useless, and arguably bring less into the world than sports. 
  • SharkySharky 101 Pts   -  
    Sports teach discipline and sportsmanship to young people who are desperately in need of those lessons. Sports hone physical skills and promote physical fitness. Sports provide the masses with entertainment and a temporary escape from the day-to-day grind. So, no, sports are not useless. Do sports produce anything tangible of lasting value? No, they don't. They are the modern day "circuses" that the Roman poet Juvenal referred to when he said, "Give them bread and circuses and they'll never revolt."  
  • Sports is a great way of getting exercise and keeping fit that also releases endorphins, adrenaline, serotonin and dopamine that also helps people who already have depression and helps prevent having depression. Plus it helps one keep fit, healthy and active, and thus helps reduce and prevent health complications such as obesity, heart disease, etc.

Zombieguy1987

• WinstonCWinstonC 209 Pts   -  
    Sports teach you how to cooperate and compete in a socially positive way (good sportsmanship applies to life in general, not just sport). In addition to this, physical games are good to motivate people to keep fit and healthy.
    TheObserver
  • TheObserverTheObserver 2 Pts   -  
    I believe that sports give people a way to express themselves, in the sane way that artists or musicians express themselves. During my highschool career i saw every group of classmates come together as one to come support our football team. The stands were filled by our AcDec team, English Clubs, and other non athletic groups. This is showing how this sporting event brought together a whole high school, disproving your agrument that they do nothing for the communities and bonding aspects.
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    Sports is not useless as it is a competition and improves your physical strenght. It is also a traditional entertainment which entertained other people since 2500bc. It helps make decisions under pressure in a short period of time. 
  • Noam_ChunkzyNoam_Chunkzy 13 Pts   -  
    Sport is the most important thing out of all the least important things.
    xlJ_dolphin_473
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    @K_Michael ; Sport is important as it improves your fitness. Running or walking for 30 minutes a day is known for decreasing your stress. Sport gives you less chance of getting cardiovascular or normal diseases.. Sports helps you become quicker and so if a stabber tries to stab you, you can run away more easily.
    @Noam_Chunkzy ; How is sport in the category of the least important things? I have explained in my reasoning above that sport is one of the most important things.
    K_Michael
    RS_master said:
    @K_Michael ; Sport is important as it improves your fitness. Running or walking for 30 minutes a day is known for decreasing your stress. Sport gives you less chance of getting cardiovascular or normal diseases.. Sports helps you become quicker and so if a stabber tries to stab you, you can run away more easily.

This is a fallacious argument in my opinion, If sports were developed for the purpose of optimizing your fitness, then it could be argued that it is important. That being said, sports are not developed to optimize fitness, but are created for entertainment. If you wanted to optimize your fitness, you could take an exercise class that is designed to maximize the amount of energy exerted in ratio to fitness advantage gained.
    It may be hard to separate exercise and sports in your mind, so here's an example that makes it more obvious.
    I could argue that having having sex is important because it burns calories. However, sex doesn't have the purpose of burning calories. So even though sex is important, the argument that it is important because it improves your fitness isn't a good argument.
  • PepsiguyPepsiguy 109 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: No

@K_Michael
    People have fun doing them and they are also excersise.
  • jackjack 447 Pts   -  
    K_Michael said:

What purpose does chucking that ball (or whatever your sport does) serve? None. Completely frivolous, with no ensured benefit.
    Hello K:

Isn't hide and seek a sport/game?  What about Marco Polo?  I LOVE hide and seek.  It's absolutely frivolous, and fun too.  If it's good TO ya, it's good FOR ya.

excon