frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

who is next

Debate Information

just for the sake of the debate, if humans suddenly ceased to exist; what life-form has the best chance to;  not only become top of the food chain, but to eventually evolve to the point where humans are at today? and ricky, this is not about religion so do not bother to answer.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    I think we'll go back to the knuckle draggers and start all over. :pensive:
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    None that we know of. We only have one data point here: humans are the only species that, as far as we know, ever have developed intelligence on this planet. We do not know what conditions are required for such development, what species can in principle develop it, etc.

Perhaps some bird species becomes intelligent eventually, if we are wiped out. Or some insect species. Could be anything. By various studies, dolphins seem to be the closest to having intelligence among all the species we have investigated, so they are a good potential candidate - and since they live in the water, a civilisation they would build would likely be very different from ours.
  • maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -   edited March 2020
    i agree with the birds, however humans are not the only ones who developed intelligence.  humans are the only ones who developed"" human"" intelligence . There is no reason in the absence of humans, that another species may fill the niche that humans left behind.  tell me, why do you believe that no other species can not 'ever' develop the intellect that humans achieved?@MayCaesar
    OakTownA
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6020 Pts   -  
    @maxx

By "intelligence" here I imply the ability to consciously forecast the future and alter one's decisions based on it, as opposed to being guided by instincts. That is the ability only humans have developed so far.

I by no means believe that no other species can ever develop a similar ability. I am just saying that we do not know much about the conditions required for a species to develop it, so it is hard to predict what species, if any, will be the next one to do so on Earth.
  • K_MichaelK_Michael 114 Pts   -  
    There are several commonly accepted species and groups that have fairly close-to-human intelligence.
    Corvids, such as crows, magpies and ravens
    Elephants
    Apes and a few select monkeys
    Cetaceans, especially dolphins
    Octopuses, though this one is a bit more of a stretch.
    PlaffelvohfenOakTownA
    "We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." 
  • all4acttall4actt 315 Pts   -  
    There is no way to tell if humans or other animals would even develope past their already assigned intellect or that they would need to.  I think if people ceased to exist and the animal kingdom were to some how survive that they would be happy just being who they are and continue living their lives.

As far as who would replace us?  Who says we need to be replaced.

What in nature requires us?
    PlaffelvohfenOakTownA
  • maxxmaxx 1134 Pts   -  
    well, nature hates a vacuum and if humans no longer exist to supress the rest of the animal kingdom; then it is quite possible some race of animals would eventually  evolve  enough intelligence and enough body changes to achieve an actual civilization. why should they not?@all4actt
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1833 Pts   -  
    This reminds me of "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

MayCaesarOakTownAK_Michael