frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Gangsta Rap is now recognized by the library of Congress. Was gangsta rap advantageous to society?

Debate Information

Love it or hate it, a gangsta rap mogul has been recognized by the library of Congress. The chronic by Dr Dre is now included in the library of Congress. Many have labeled it misogynistic, racist, and pro-criminal, but it's impact on society is none the less obvious. I will be arguing that gangsta rap was a form of neo-journalism that was very much needed in society. Before gangsta rap, most white middle-class Americans had no idea of the social pressures that plagued low-income inner city youths, most especially black youths. Gangsta Rap was a medium that brought the social attitudes of inner city black youths front and center and showcased these attitudes for all to see. Love it or hate it, gangsta rap gave all of us an insight into the lives and struggles of the low-income inner city black youths.        

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 5968 Pts   -  
    Well, the Library of Congress even has a Mein Kampf edition in it. What is included there is based not on what was advantageous to society, but based on what impacted the society in a significant way.

As for rap, I do not consider it music, and it probably has a very negative influence both on people's musical taste and the culture in general - listening to songs glorifying committing crimes is hardly healthy. 

There are far better ways to express how one feels through songs; the entire genre of blues is fundamentally dedicated exactly to that - expressing one's life grievances in a melancholic way. And, unlike rap, blues actually has a very rich musical theory and culture behind it. Is this not a better way to express one's feelings?

If black people blasted this kind of music from their cars' speakers instead of rap... Oh well.
  • DeeDee 5395 Pts   -  

***Before gangsta rap, most white middle-class Americans had no idea of the social pressures that plagued low-income inner city youths, most especially black youths. 

I don’t buy that  , I think white middle class were always aware but didn’t really care this made them care less and actually made them even more wary of blacks .......

I don’t know how lyrics like such help the “cause” in any way ......

Ice Cube and them niggas with the 'tudes

Showed a how to blast at dudes "BLAW!!"

COME ON!! Dr. Dre, N.W.A

Eazy-E and 'Ren, what you say!

Too Short kept it raw for them niggas up North

Geto Boys, we was like to the law

W.C. nigga, sag your pants

We taught you how to gangbang and to crip dance

Drive by shooting , f—k the law , and rape women , we all get the anger but what its really saying is to be one of us this is what you got to do and f—k everyone else .

Gangsta rap is the self pitying , self entitled cry of people that love to play the victim  card and use colour to justify their allegedly  dire circumstances and of course any one who says the opposite is normally branded a racist 

Gangsta rap regards “artistic merit “ I put in the same category as “Christian rock” the hard thing is deciding which is more dreadful 

piloteerleonardoleyva
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1484 Pts   -  
    Al Capone was "recognized" by almost everybody, he was NOT advantageous to society.