frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Why does it go dark at night?

Debate Information

I believe it is because the Earth is a revolving sphere.
And the Sun is a light emitting star, approximately 150.000km distant from the Earth.
As the Earth revolves, the area facing away from the Sun goes dark.
natbarons1Hacker0ErfisflatSilverishGoldNovaPogue
  1. Live Poll

Is this an accurate statement.

13 votes
    1. Yes
      92.31%
    2. No
        7.69%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• natbaronsnatbarons 133 Pts   -  
    Yes, this is due to the spherical shape of the Earth.
    ErfisflatSilverishGoldNovaPogue
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    The same reason one end of my street is dark, and the other is lit up with street lights. The sun is never below my feet, it is just far away.
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    natbarons said:
    Yes, this is due to the spherical shape of the Earth.

SilverishGoldNova
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • 1Hacker01Hacker0 91 Pts   -  
    @Erfisflat Then how come when I'm on the dark end of the street, I can still see the street lights? I can see the street light no matter where I am on the street. This would mean I can see the Sun during night, even though it is dark. 
    SkepticalOne
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    The same reason one end of my street is dark, and the other is lit up with street lights. The sun is never below my feet, it is just far away.

No street lights where I live.
    At night I can stand and look in awe at the vast expanses of outer space.
    1Hacker0 said:
    @Erfisflat Then how come when I'm on the dark end of the street, I can still see the street lights? I can see the street light no matter where I am on the street. This would mean I can see the Sun during night, even though it is dark. 
    The scaling is way off here, for one, you're ignoring atmospheric conditions.

Wayne Dyer
    And the obvious fact that the earth isn't a concrete road.

Wayne Dyer
    1Hacker0 said:

Maybe it's just that the street lights are not working.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited August 2017
    1Hacker0 said:

Maybe it's just that the street lights are not working.
    Similar to a pressurised ball in an infinite vacuum? Most opposing pressure systems (like light bulbs) require a physical barrier to coexist.

Wayne Dyer

Wayne Dyer
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    And I thought Coveny and WoodenWood were at entry level.
    Image result for spotlight sun gif

I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)

We were all there.

Wayne Dyer
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Fair enough, but it seems Fred can't acknowledge the most basic of the flat Earth
    Erfisflat
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    I'm delighted to talk about it. It's only when people get dismissive, ridicule and ignore evidence that I get irritated. This is signs of bias and programming.
    SilverishGoldNova1Hacker0

Wayne Dyer
    An unwillingness to unlearn and relearn, and let go of the ball shows ignorance and cognitive dissonance. 

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:

Simple. Space isn't a Vacuum. Because it's full of matter.

Definition from the Oxford dictionary. Vacuum. A space entirely devoid of matter.
    Erfisflat
    Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Fair enough, but it seems Fred can't acknowledge the most basic of the flat Earth
    Right said Fred.
    But why do you think it goes dark at night?
    Erfisflat said:

Simple. Space isn't a Vacuum. Because it's full of matter.

Definition from the Oxford dictionary. Vacuum. A space entirely devoid of matter.
    Not as simple as a light source being far enough away to not cast light on something. It's still a positive pressure system adjacent, no, enveloped in a negative pressure system, perfect vacuum or not, which has never been demonstrated or reproduced on any scale.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:

You only think it's vast, or space, mainly because your science book told you so. It's really a dome with lights in it.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=Proof+of+firmament

Wayne Dyer

Wayne Dyer
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited August 2017
    Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.
    On the flat Earth? Look at the GIF for a few minutes. Then think. 

Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.

Very pretty. But illogical.
    As your sun has nothing to hide behind there would always be residual light, no matter how far away the light source was.
    Erfisflat
    Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.

As your sun has nothing to hide behind there would always be residual light, no matter how far away the light source was.
    Herpaderp, never heard of the atmosphere?

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Erfisflat said:

We were all there.
    Right said Fred.

Sarcasm and insult. Make for a very weak argument.
    When debating try and offer a rational and logical response.
    All your flat Earth arguments are falling short in logic and rationale.
    PowerPikachu21BaconToesPogue
    @Fredsnephew
    I was addressing the argument:

"As your sun has nothing to hide behind"

It's common knowledge that there is atmosphere that blocks light. 

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    @Fredsnephew
    I was addressing the argument:

"As your sun has nothing to hide behind"

It's common knowledge that there is atmosphere that blocks light. 

Certainly atmospheric conditions can have an impact on light intensity, at any time of the day.
    But this falls short of explaining why it goes dark at night.
    Variable atmospheric conditions also fail to explain seasonal changes in day length, especially in polar regions.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this theory, so that I can get a clearer understanding of what you are trying to say.
    @Fredsnephew

"Certainly atmospheric conditions can have an impact on light intensity, at any time of the day.
    But this falls short of explaining why it goes dark at night."

I fail to understand why you are making this statement. If you took a 75 watt light bulb to a football field you wouldnt be able to light up the whole field. This is not exactly to scale of corse, but you get the idea. Add to that hundreds or thousands (depending on the altitude of the sun) of miles of atmosphere (clpuds, dust, smog, water, heat, fog, etc.), and you have a means of blocking light. This is one of the reasons we can't see clear across the Atlantic Ocean. 

The mountains in the distance are not hidden by curvature, they are just hidden by an accumulation of particles of matter in the air. This indubitably causes it to go dark at night.

On a similar matter, if you're talking about sunsets, that is a combination of refraction and perspective, I can explain that again if I need to, but both subjects have been covered extensively. They were likely covered in the first few pages, but if you can't find them, I'll go over them again.

"Variable atmospheric conditions also fail to explain seasonal changes in day length, especially in polar regions "

This is due to a different circuit of the circuit around the pole. In our summer, the sun is closer to the center, causing the arctic midnight sun, where the sun doesn't go down in the northern polar region. It's included in the Gleason' s map. 

The evidence for this is the sun analemma.

Which contradicts the globe model, but fits perfectly in FET.

Wayne Dyer
  • NopeNope 397 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat Your map does not match a globe. If you would go to a place in the southern hemisphere and measured the length if it did not match your model your model would be disprove. Unless you are so confident you don't feel the need to. Of course I would have to do the same and I am planing to when I get older then 18.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    Erfisflat said:
    Hmmmm, so stars can be seen at night thru the atmosphere, but the sun can't.  Those are some pretty anomalous atmospheric conditions.
    Erfisflat said:

• BaconToesBaconToes 236 Pts   -  
    It is never dark here on Earth. The sun and stars give us light. When it is night, the moon reflects the light of the sun and the stars also give us a bit of light. 
    i fart cows
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited December 2017

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
      Nice sunrise, commentary.  Of course the sun won't light up the entire horizon as the earth rotates into view of it; the sun is round.  If the earth was flat, the sun wouldn't set at all.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    You didn't finish the video obviously. It DEMONSTRATED how the sun can go down on a flat earth.
    @CYDdharta

Wayne Dyer
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited December 2017
    Erfisflat said:
    You didn't finish the video obviously. It DEMONSTRATED how the sun can go down on a flat earth.
    @CYDdharta
    No, it really doesn't.  it just says "refraction", but that doesn't explain how the sun can drop below the horizon of a flat earth using the model that's been reposted so many by flat-earthers here;

Then again, we can see the moon during the daytime, so we know this model isn't accurate.  Find a model that is actually accurate, and we'll discuss it.   

CYDdharta said:
    Erfisflat said:
    @CYDdharta
    No, it really doesn't.  it just says "refraction", but that doesn't explain how the sun can drop below the horizon of a flat earth using the model that's been reposted so many by flat-earthers here;

Then again, we can see the moon during the daytime, so we know this model isn't accurate.  Find a model that is actually accurate, and we'll discuss it.   

Wait, you sure you watched the video? It doesn't just say refraction. Try again.  

And seeing the moon during the day works in the flat earth model too. Maybe you don't fully understand the model.

Wayne Dyer
    At 8:34 in the video, we can see with practical experimentation how the sun can go down over the horizon on a flat earth. @CYDdharta seems to have turned a blind eye, but those of us who haven't strapped on our blinders can see. Mainstream science claims the same effect happens on a ball earth, but they claim it causes the sun to appear higher in the sky, which is pseudoscientific unless they can support the claim with practical experimentation. 

http://www.hko.gov.hk/m/article_e.htm?title=ele_00493

This proves that a ball earth isn't necessary for the sun to "go down" at night.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    At 8:34 in the video, we can see with practical experimentation how the sun can go down over the horizon on a flat earth. @CYDdharta seems to have turned a blind eye, but those of us who haven't strapped on our blinders can see. Mainstream science claims the same effect happens on a ball earth, but they claim it causes the sun to appear higher in the sky, which is pseudoscientific unless they can support the claim with practical experimentation. 

http://www.hko.gov.hk/m/article_e.htm?title=ele_00493

This proves that a ball earth isn't necessary for the sun to "go down" at night.
    Explain the experiment.  Is that a clear pitcher filled with water or some other fluid?
    You can OCCASIONALLY see the moon in the day because the moon is slower in its circuit than the sun. That gif is not meant to be perfectly accurate. It's a gif.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    You can OCCASIONALLY see the moon in the day because the moon is slower in its circuit than the sun. That gif is not meant to be perfectly accurate. It's a gif.
    Like I said, find an accurate model and get back to me.
    Another dodger. My model is far more accurate than yours.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    I take it, there is no accurate flat-earth model.  noted.
    CYDdharta said:
    Erfisflat said:
    I take it, there is no accurate flat-earth model.  noted.
    I take it you have conceded the OP, AND you can't explain why my model is inaccurate, yet I demonstrate how yours is innacurate. Just an appeal to the stone fallacy, huh? Sounds like someone's mad the earth isn't a ball.

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    I take it you have conceded the OP, AND you can't explain why my model is inaccurate, yet I demonstrate how yours is innacurate. Just an appeal to the stone fallacy, huh? Sounds like someone's mad the earth isn't a ball.

I've already told you why your model is inaccurate, in fact you even conceded the point.

Erfisflat said:

Me saying that a gif doesn't accurately represent my model is a concession of only that. I explained why we see the moon during the day. Are you daft?

Wayne Dyer

Wayne Dyer
    Erfisflat said:
    Me saying that a gif doesn't accurately represent my model is a concession of only that. I explained why we see the moon during the day. Are you daft?
    So you still haven't found an accurate working flat-earth model.  The fact that none exists would explain that quite well.
    CYDdharta said:
    Erfisflat said:
    So you still haven't found an accurate working flat-earth model.  The fact that none exists would explain that quite well.
    So you still haven't explained any flaw in it. Keep digging. You've conceded everything else.

Wayne Dyer