frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

I am glad that my first name is not Harvey

Debate Information

When terrible storms like Harvey occur, it really does disjunctice to people sharing the first name with the storm.
I think they should just stop naming storms after people, to discontinue negative connotations with certain first names.

SilverishGoldNovajoecavalrynorthsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

Should we continue to name storms after people?

6 votes
    1. Good idea
      50.00%
    2. Bad idea
      50.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SnakesOfferingApplesSnakesOfferingApples 121 Pts   -   edited August 2017
    @islander507
    It doesn't matter, reasonable people aren't going to go and associate a person with a Hurricane.
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    @SnakesOfferingApples, maybe...what about kids? They tend to give nicknames...
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • @WhyTrump

Well yeah, most kids are still developing their mental process when I was in elementary school, I did whatever I could to surround myself with friends and to get good grades.( I was the new foreign guy and I wanted to fit in.) I never bullied anyone, although looking back at it I never had a solid moral compass.
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Yes, the names give them more of a personality.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • Unless you're talking about some who just escaped a mental hospital, I wouldn't worry too much about hurricanes being named after people.
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
  • I called it Hurricane Steve Harvey. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. (I even saw an image where someone photoshopped Steve Harvey's face onto a graph of Hurricane Harvey)
  • They shouldn't stop naming storm after people die tot he personality it gives.
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    It seems that if someone has an unusual name Irma, they would be out of luck right now.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney