frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why did Bush sit for seven minutes despite being told "America was under attack"?

Debate Information

Bush sat in a chair for a long time while America was "under attack". Why did he do this? Why didn't he simply get up, dismiss himself, and continue to resolve the situation? Did he have   knowledge that he and the school was in no danger? Did he know what                                                                                                                                                                                                           buildings would be hit?
aarong
  1. Live Poll

Was Bush doing the right thing?

8 votes
    1. Yes.
      50.00%
    2. No!
      50.00%
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
33%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• At that moment, the most President Bush could have done was say more words. There was little he could have done to actively "resolve the situation" what the children in that school needed in that moment was for the people around them to respond in a way that didn't cause a complete panic. If you watch the video that was taken of the moment in question, the next thing he did was explain the situation in a very calm manner and ensure the children that everything was going to be fine. I think that was the best thing he could have done in that specific moment.
    George_HorseZombieguy1987
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -   edited September 2017
    @Vincent_Costanzo The country was under attack and the best thing to do is to sit in a chair for seven minutes taking no action? Nonsense. He does nothing but endanger the children and the school by being foolish.
    CYDdhartaZombieguy1987
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
    @Vincent_Costanzo The country was under attack and the best thing to do is to sit in a chair for seven minutes taking no action? Nonsense. He does nothing but endanger the children and the school by staying there. He has no knowledge about who was attacking the country, what kind of attack, just simply told "America is under attack" as if the statement is of no importance or concern to him.
    CYDdhartaSilverishGoldNova

• @George_Horse First off, in the face of a crisis taking a mere seven minutes to determine what to do, is not a bad thing. rushing forward without thought is simply foolish. Moreover, the 9/11 attacks were carefully orchestrated and thus would not have been changed in order to crash into a separate building in a separate location. Furthermore, as I stated previously the best thing he could have done was give an address which is what he did at the end of those seven minutes.
    George_Horse
     " Philip Melanson, the author of a book about the Secret Service. “With an unfolding terrorist attack,” Melanson said, “the procedure should have been to get the president to the closest secure location as quickly as possible.” That this indeed would have been standard operating procedure is illustrated by the fact that, as soon as the second strike on the World Trade Center was seen on television, one agent said to Sarasota County Sheriff Bill Balkwill: “We’re out of here. Can you get everybody ready?

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    There really wasn't anything for Bush to do at the time.  The classroom teacher, Kay Daniels (certainly no fan of Bush), thought he did the right thing.

Vincent_CostanzoGeorge_HorseZombieguy1987
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:
    There really wasn't anything for Bush to do at the time.  The classroom teacher, Kay Daniels (certainly no fan of Bush), thought he did the right thing.

Yes thought sitting there while the country was in danger of guided missiles flying towards populated targets. Ha ha! Seems reasonable. Yeah, I've already posted

“the procedure should have been to get the president to the closest secure location as quickly as possible.”

Yeah that is how it was supposed to be. He didn't know who the attacker was, what kind of weapons were being used against the country, he was told "America is under attack" Kay thinks is was okay to sit there while under attack, but he doesn't know better, he does not have much knowledge about procedures, it is what should happened but did not happen because Bush or the Secret Service may have had knowledge about who was being attacked and who was safe.

CYDdharta

Yeah that is how it was supposed to be. He didn't know who the attacker was, what kind of weapons were being used against the country, he was told "America is under attack" Kay thinks is was okay to sit there while under attack, but he doesn't know better, he does not have much knowledge about procedures, it is what should happened but did not happen because Bush or the Secret Service may have had knowledge about who was being attacked and who was safe.

The Secret Service thought it was OK as well, since they didn't rush the president out of the classroom.  They have the right and responsibility to protect the president from an immediate threat regardless of any objections.  The Secret Service didn't do so because there was in no immediate threat.  Since the president was in no immediate danger, taking 5 minutes to keep the classroom calm and collect his thoughts as to what to say was, indeed, the right thing to do.
    George_Horse
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 1675 Pts   -  
    In an attack on the country, the presidents life becomes priority #1, they wouldn't have let him sit there unless it was staged.
    George_HorseZombieguy1987
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
    CYDdharta said:

The Secret Service thought it was OK as well, since they didn't rush the president out of the classroom.  They have the right and responsibility to protect the president from an immediate threat regardless of any objections.  The Secret Service didn't do so because there was in no immediate threat.  Since the president was in no immediate danger, taking 5 minutes to keep the classroom calm and collect his thoughts as to what to say was, indeed, the right thing to do.
    "There was in immediate threat" BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So the country's safety isn't of any importantance? Look Mac I have no Idea where you're getting this garbage from but its nonsense. I already told you from before! In the bold was what should have happened.

@Erfisflat You're feeling me!
    ErfisflatCYDdhartaSilverishGoldNova

"There was in immediate threat" BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So the country's safety isn't of any importantance? Look Mac I have no Idea where you're getting this garbage from but its nonsense. I already told you from before! In the bold was what should have happened.
    Bush was NEVER in an IMMEDIATE THREAT.  I read you OPINION of what you think should have happened.  It was idiotic when the left originally brought it up and 16 years later it's still idiotic.
    ErfisflatGeorge_HorseSilverishGoldNova
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited September 2017
    He was warned America was under attack and instead of evacuating, he sat there reading "my pet goat". Even then, it is impossible for a steel frame building to collapse because of a fire, and if it could have it should have happened within 15 minutes, not after an hour.  Not to mention building 7 wasn't even hit by a plane and it also fell. It is likely that we are simply talking about controlled demolition, that was exaggerated so that way the Bush administration could invade Iraq. After all, that was the original justification. Not to mention Bush's campaign was focused on "9/11 9/11 because 9/11 9/11 Al Qaeda box cutters 9/11"

To quote @Erfisflat

"If you think Al-Qaeda, armed with 99cent boxcutters directed by a middle aged man on dialysis in a cave halfway around the world outwitted the most advanced military in the world at the height of it's power, say "I'm gullible" below. We need to have a talk."
    ErfisflatGeorge_HorseCYDdhartaVincent_Costanzofea
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    @SilverishGoldNova Absolutely great input! My words cannot describe the amount of joyfulness I feel! Great point friend! 
    SilverishGoldNova

What's idiotic is thinking this is about left versus right. It's about the haves versus the have nots. 

George_Horse
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer
  • @CYDdharta this has literaly nothing to do with left vs right...
    George_HorseErfisflatfea
    I am no longer active on DebateIsland or any debate website. Many things I have posted here and on other sites (Such as believing in the flat Earth theory or other conspiracy theories such as those that are about the Las Vegas Shooting or 9/11) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

https://debateisland.com/discussion/comment/18248/#Comment_18248 (Me officially stating that I am no longer a flat-Earther)
    @Vincent_Costanzo The country was under attack and the best thing to do is to sit in a chair for seven minutes taking no action? Nonsense. He does nothing but endanger the children and the school by doing that.
    SilverishGoldNova

@Vincent_Costanzo The country was under attack and the best thing to do is to sit in a chair for seven minutes taking no action? Nonsense. He does nothing but endanger the children and the school by doing that.
    Erfisflat

George_HorseSilverishGoldNova

Wayne Dyer
    @CYDdharta this has literaly nothing to do with left vs right...
    LOL, it must have just been a coincidence that hard leftist Michael Moore made this a national issue in Farenheit 9/11.  What this issue truly has nothing to do with is have vs. have nots.  One group of well financed haves said Bush should have run out of the room like his hair was on fire, even though he didnt know just what was happening, and another group of haves disagrees.
    SilverishGoldNovaGeorge_Horse
    Ridiculous.  Bush was never a target, national landmarks were.  Thus neither the children nor the school were in danger.  If, in an alternate reality, al Qaeda terrorists had somehow figured out Bush's itenerary and targeted the school, Bush's leaving after planes started crashing wouldn't have made any difference.  Bush or no Bush, the plane would already have been on its way.
    George_Horse
  • SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 1201 Pts   -   edited September 2017
    CYDdharta said:
    @CYDdharta this has literaly nothing to do with left vs right...
    LOL, it must have just been a coincidence that hard leftist Michael Moore made this a national issue in Farenheit 9/11.  What this issue truly has nothing to do with is have vs. have nots.  One group of well financed haves said Bush should have run out of the room like his hair was on fire, even though he didnt know just what was happening, and another group of haves disagrees.

So because Michael Moore referenced it, this is now a  left vs right debate, and because you disagree with leftists, its false? This reminds me of what Dawn (who isnt here but whatever) is doing in the FE debate... (trying to make it a left vs right debate because I mentioned NASA)
    fea

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited September 2017

So because Michael Moore referenced it, this is now a  left vs right debate, and because you disagree with leftists, its false? This reminds me of what Dawn (who isnt here but whatever) is doing in the FE debate... (trying to make it a left vs right debate because I mentioned NASA)
    You're right, it isn't a left vs right argument per se; its just a vapid and inane anti-Bush argument.  The fact that leftists who were trying to destroy Bush at the time, came up with the argument makes it a leftist argument.  The fact that it makes no sense and has been undeniably refuted makes it false.  The fe debates are so ridiculous I don't botherlooking at them.  

I'm still waiting for someone to show me how this is a haves vs a have nots issue.  Its been a bad week, I need to be entertained.
  • CYDdharta said:

You're right, it isn't a left vs right argument per se; its just a vapid and inane anti-Bush argument.  The fact that leftists who were trying to destroy Bush at the time, came up with the argument makes it a leftist argument.  The fact that it makes no sense and has been undeniably refuted makes it false.  The fe debates are so ridiculous I don't botherlooking at them.  

I'm still waiting for someone to show me how this is a haves vs a have nots issue.  Its been a bad week, I need to be entertained.

if you want entertainment I would suggest entertainment for entertainment