frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Why does it matter what marriage is called?

2»

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• NightwingNightwing 54 Pts   -  
    It seems to me that those who cannot define marriage are unable to recognize marriage.

• VaulkVaulk 813 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    CYDdharta said:
    CYDdharta said:
    Here's a perfect illustration of the problem with altering well-established definitions to suit political purposes;
    The difference here is that this man wants to marry an inanimate object. You are comparing biotic and abiotic, reciprocative love to that of a non-living object. There are limits as to how you alter the definitions of many things, and you are acting like because there are homosexuals who want to marry, that the definition will for some reason be allowed into changing people to marry objects that they like or have addictions with BECAUSE of this alteration of the word marriage referring to gays and lesbians, too.
    You're letting your phobias and biases cloud your judgement.  Who says a marriage can't be with an inanimate object?  Who are you to tell someone who or what they can or can't love?  Who are you to stand in the way of someone else's true love???

See how easy this is, the exact same emotional arguments that worked to allow redefining marriage once will work the next time as well, and the next, and the next.  There are no limits; if there were, marriage wouldn't have been redefined in the first place.
    I'll raise a glass to this.  There are many arguments as to why Marriage shouldn't include anyone but a Man and Woman...but this argument here is paramount.  The suggestion that Marriage be redefined is tampering with the flood gates.  Allowing a change in something that hasn't been changed before will establish a precedent, in case anyone here's is unfamiliar with legal processes...precedence serves as a very strong argument.  If it's been done before...then it can be done again.  If we all decided that it can be changed once...then we can all decide that it can be changed again. 

Speaker: Do you believe people should have the right to be in love with and Marry whomever they choose?

Advocate: Yes I do.

Speaker: Even between a Man and another Man?

Advocate: Yes, especially.

Speaker: What about a Father and his Son, if they decided they were in Love with each other, should they be able to Marry each other?

Advocate: So long as they're both consenting adults then I don't see why not, who are we to tell them that their love is wrong?

Speaker: Then by that law, the Father being the legal guardian could sign the authorization for his Son to marry prior to the age of 18, as young as 14 as a matter of fact.  So then basically we would be creating a legal loophole for pedophilia.

Advocate: Well...I guess...that sounds pretty bad when you put it like that.

Speaker: You mean when I bring up the real consequences that you didn't consider?
    "If there's no such thing as a question then what kind of questions do people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stup!d".

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    ...and the decline continues...

Woman gets engaged to 90-year-old chandelier