frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are people born gay?

Debate Information

This is one of those hot topics that's out there. I personally don't think you're born gay, just like you're not born racist. You have to choose to be racist, it's something you make up in your mind. A person chooses to be gay for various reasons. If someone is a guy who likes guys, he can choose to either act on, or ignore his feelings.
joecavalry
Being gay, a choice, or not?
  1. Live Poll

Are people born gay?

26 votes
    1. Yes
      30.77%
    2. No
      69.23%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• abigailg2008abigailg2008 49 Pts   -  
    I honestly have no position on this topic.
  • SammylitonySammylitony 17 Pts   -  
    Gay sex is a decision one takes base on the individual mindset. Yes guys can be born with feminine character but it does not mean the person will love to have sex with guys, because we have guys with strong masculine gene but still are gay.
  • SromSrom 60 Pts   -  
    No one is born gay. Just like no one is born a theif, a drunk, or even a murderer.
  • @CorranHorn  

1 - I would not liken being gay (which is completely harmless if gay sexuality is practised between two consenting adults.) to racism
    2 - The definition of homosexuality is 
    1. (of a person) sexually attracted to people of one's own sex.
      • involving or characterised by sexual attraction between people of the same sex.
        "homosexual desire"                                                            

So, therefore, sexual desire is all that's needed to define your sexuality, I like women I'm straight, my friend likes guys he is gay.

@Srom

1 - I would not liken being gay (which is completely harmless if gay sexuality is practised between two consenting adults.) to murder and thievery.

2 - There are studies showing that sexuality is rooted in biology, (Simon LeVay study of 1993) I am a straight man, and when I see or am touched by a woman I find attractive my body reacts accordingly, (I don't need to be with a woman to know that I am sexually interested in them, so the idea that I need to experience gay sexual relationships to identify myself as gay doesn't hold up. 
    joecavalryOakchairbc
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Gays develop their sexuality over time and based on their environment.
    SilverishGoldNovaMissDMeanor
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • FredsnephewFredsnephew 361 Pts   -  
    With regard to human reproduction, when looked at from a realists viewpoint.

A tiny percentage of the population are born with physiological abnormalities.
    Otherwise.
    The male of the species produces the sperm.
    The female of the species produces the egg.
    How people choose to gratify their sexual urges in between times is of no importance.

As I stated, this is simply a realistic observation and does not take into account any social considerations.
  • Why are people comparing being gay to that of hateful or wrong actions? "Thievery", "Drunkness", "racism", "MURDER"?
    You cannot choose who you are attracted to. If that were the case, I'd absolutely choose to be straight. It's not very fun being seen as a disappointment to my parents and siblings.
    Also, if I could choose to be gay, that would make it a choice for you to be straight. So why would you choose to be straight? I mean, you can't really use the argument "because girls are attractive" or "boys are attractive" because if it's a choice, you would be able to CHOOSE who you believe is more attractive, right?
    Oakchairbc
  • JoePineapplesJoePineapples 138 Pts   -   edited September 2017
    Gay sex is a decision one takes base on the individual mindset. Yes guys can be born with feminine character but it does not mean the person will love to have sex with guys, because we have guys with strong masculine gene but still are gay.
    Really? 
    So (assuming you're actively heterosexual) did you decide that you were going to have sex with other heterosexuals or did the attraction come naturally?
    Trash_GoddessOakchairbc
    I don't get a great deal of free time, for this reason there may be long periods between my posts.
    Please don't expect me to respond with insults and memes, I don't have time for it.
    Please don't expect me to respond to Gish-galloping, I don't have time for it.
  • JoePineapplesJoePineapples 138 Pts   -  
    Srom said:
    No one is born gay. Just like no one is born a theif, a drunk, or even a murderer.
    If this were true, it would also mean that nobody is born heterosexual. Just like no one is born a thief, a drunk, or even a murderer.
    Trash_GoddessGeorge_HorseOakchairbc
    I don't get a great deal of free time, for this reason there may be long periods between my posts.
    Please don't expect me to respond with insults and memes, I don't have time for it.
    Please don't expect me to respond to Gish-galloping, I don't have time for it.
  • George_HorseGeorge_Horse 499 Pts   -  
    I do not think so. They change their character as they mature as adults.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? " ~Epicurus

"A communist is like a crocodile" ~Winston Churchill

We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.~Orson Welles
  • Sexual orientation is determined by “a complex interplay” between genetic and environmental factors.

new study in a new field of genetics called epigenetics has found that, in addition to a an “association between same-sex orientation in men and a specific chromosomal region.” (What Do We Know About the Science of Sexual Orientation? - Slate ), there is also an association between environmental factors, both in utero and during infancy, and sexual orientation. 

"The relationship between biology and sexual orientation is a subject of research. A simple and singular determinant for sexual orientation has not been conclusively demonstrated; various studies point to different, even conflicting positions, but scientists hypothesize that a combination of genetic, hormonal, and social factors determine sexual orientation. [1] [2] [3]

Biological theories for explaining the causes of sexual orientation are more popular[1] and involve a complex interplay of genetic factors, the early uterine environment and brain structure. [4] These factors, which may be related to the development of a heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual or asexual orientation, include genes, prenatal hormones, and brain structure. Biology and sexual orientation - Wikipedia See also Scientists find DNA differences between gay men and their straight twin brothers - Science News - Los Angeles TimesHomosexuality may be caused by chemical modifications to DNA - Science | AAASThe Gay Gene: New Evidence Supports an Old Hypothesis - BigThink  "

Epigenetics, this new field of research, 

"relates to the influence of environmental factors on genes, either in the uterus or after birth ...

External environmental factors such as medicinal drugs, chemicals, toxic compounds, pesticides, and substances such as plasticizers can also have an impact on DNA by creating epi-marks. These environmental factors can also interfere with a pregnant woman’s hormonal system. This affects the levels of sex hormones in the developing fetus and may influence the activity of these hormones. What Do We Know About the Science of Sexual Orientation? - Slate "

Epigenetic changes to DNA can “turn” a man bisexual. We have seen how a man’s DNA can be altered by epigenetic changes so that the changed DNA determines his sexuality to be bisexual. In that context, we can say that the epigenetic changes “turned” the man bisexual. It is important to note though, that all the epigenetic changes are due to in utero and environmental factors. Not one is a psychological factor nor is one a factor of choice.

Bisexuality is not a choice but is genetically determined. In light of this study, we can say that bisexuality is not a choice but the result of environmental factors affecting the fetus in utero and the infant during infancy.

ErfisflatOakchairbc
  • The short answer is that there is a specific chromosomal region that seems to determine sexuality (hetero vs. homo) and in addition there are biological and environmental factors, in utero and in infancy, that can change that DNA and affect the person’s sexuality.

No environmental factors experienced later in life and no psychological or “choice” factors have been identified.

• FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    Current genetics states that people are born gay. Evolution also supports this theory, if you believe in it. 
  • missmedicmissmedic 43 Pts   -  
    In a homophobic Christian mindset, a person can not be punished if being gay is not a choice. Take the very basic understanding you have of your own sexuality and ask your self this, did you choose? And did you choose when you were born?
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    Homosexuality is a very complex question. People are controlled by their sexual organs and their concomitant hormones. And it requires very strong psychological pressures to change this.

It is none of our business what goes on behind closed doors but what happens in public is another question altogether. The media is making every attempt to portray this psychological illness as "normal" even to the point that last night a TV producer was saying that Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson were homosexual lovers.

The trans-sexual business shows immense psychological damage to the point that they are willing to risk their lives and health to become something they are not.

The media have now convinced an almost unbelievably large percentage of millennials that they are LGBT if for no other reason than to be "difference". To stand out in a crowd. The problems with this is that no longer being normal has it's consequences. You are confining yourself to a life of never being accepted even by yourself! Homosexuals have a HUGE rate of suicide because of this (both obvious and not so obvious such as total carelessness driving cars). The trans-sexuals die very young from hormone treatments etc.

No, homosexuals are not born that way save perhaps in extremely rare cases with chromosomal damage. XXY and the like.
    Trash_GoddessOakchairbc
  • Trash_GoddessTrash_Goddess 19 Pts   -  
    The media have now convinced an almost unbelievably large percentage of millennials that they are LGBT if for no other reason than to be "difference". To stand out in a crowd. The problems with this is that no longer being normal has it's consequences. You are confining yourself to a life of never being accepted even by yourself! Homosexuals have a HUGE rate of suicide because of this (both obvious and not so obvious such as total carelessness driving cars). 

Firstly, I knew I liked girls before I even understood what the terms "lesbian" or "gay" meant. From the moment I was able to feel attraction, I felt it towards girls. The "media" had nothing to do with it, nor does it to any other children who are LGBT. 

I have accepted myself. I accepted myself a long time ago. As have my siblings, friends, relatives, etc. Also, the reason for the huge rate of suicide (since you're clearly too dull to put two-and-two together) is BECAUSE of not being accepted (by others), loved, being bullied, harmed or continuously harassed.
    40% of the homeless general youth population is LGBT kids, half of which are because they either ran away because they were in an unsafe situation, or they were disowned and kicked out. Both are outcomes of escaping a bad household.
    At least that we know of. Those are only the LGBT kids who were able to find homeless shelters. Who knows about those who haven't.
    So in conclusion, it's because of people like yourself that the suicidal rate for homosexuals is so high. Which makes complete sense, since people like yourself tell them they are unnatural, they'll never be accepted, and it's all in their head. I'd recommend opening your eyes so you can actually see the facts in front of you instead of blindly waving your hands around, guessing what comes to you.
    No, homosexuals are not born that way save perhaps in extremely rare cases with chromosomal damage. XXY and the like.
    Where is the evidence that people who claim to be homosexual do not have the epigenetics to be homosexual? And who's to say that it is damage? You see, you are completely using your personal opinions for this argument. You have no research that supports your claim of homosexuals not having the epigenetics, or as you put, "chromosomal damage".

Grow up.
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    @Trash_Goddess People who have XXY, X, XYY, and other chromosomal disorders are disabled. Their chromosomes are damaged. 

disabled - (of a person) having a physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities. 

The people with these types of disorders have physical and sometimes mental conditions which limit them. 

People with X chromosomes for example, have thinner skin. This causes more injuries, which also take less time to heal. People with XXY have abnormal body proportions which causes organ problems such as osteoporosis, and lung disease. 
    Another obvious disability with all these people is that they are infertile. 

I agree with you on the point that gays and lesbians are born homosexual. Genetics supports people being born homosexual. 
    @Fascism
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22314321
    The link given explains what chromosomal damage is.

"Epigenetic changes modify the activation of certain genes, but not the genetic code sequence of DNA. The microstructure (not code) of DNA itself or the associated chromatin proteins may be modified, causing activation or silencing."
    Being homosexual is not the outcome of chromosomal damage.
  • FascismFascism 344 Pts   -   edited October 2017
    @Trash_Goddess
    I never said homosexuals have chromosomal damage. I said people with extra or missing pairs of chromosomes have chromosomal damage. My quote: 
    "People who have XXY, X, XYY, and other chromosomal disorders are disabled." 
    I'm pretty sure you already know this, but just to avoid any future confusion on what I'm talking about here: People are usually born with XX, or XY pairs. 

People with XXY, X, XYY and other chromosomal disorders aren't necessarily homosexual. There is no increase in occurrences of homosexuality with these people either. Homosexual is being attracted to the same sex. This is a different topic. 

@Wake
    This is also what Wake was referring to when he said chromosomal damage. His quote:
    "No, homosexuals are not born that way save perhaps in extremely rare cases with chromosomal damage. XXY and the like."
    @Fascism
    Okay, I was originally referring to homosexuals not having chromosomal damage. 
    Apologies for the confusion.
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    @DawnBringerRiven - excuse me but you're getting all of your scientific training from a magazine?

There is most assuredly an interplay between hormones but irregularities in their expression are extremely rare while LGBTQ shows up so often that it is not connected with genetics at all but environment.
  • @Wake ;I don't believe anything I said is at all related to LGBTQ or expression of sexuality. I am speaking of the hormones that cause sexuality.
  • WakeWake 124 Pts   -  
    @Trash_Goddess - You cannot possibly have ANY idea of what motivated you to "like girls" instead of boys. It could have been something as simple as being hit by a boy in day care and the girls being nice to you.

People are born asexual and don't develop any sort of sexuality until their hormones start developing which is generally in the start of their teens. Any attractions or not before than time is due to psychological factors.

I am not trying to change you. But rather simply to explain to you that while you had no control over it, you most certainly weren't born lesbian.

I believe I read somewhere that the majority of lesbians "convert" to that lifestyle after the age of 40 and being treated like crap by men for their whole lives.

I worked on a project to detect HIV and hence met a lot of homosexuals. And they were obviously "generated" by molesters. The overwhelming majority of them were 'B' type personalities that were preyed upon by the 'A' types. It was really pretty depressing. I was glad to leave that project behind.
    Wake said:
    @Trash_Goddess - You cannot possibly have ANY idea of what motivated you to "like girls" instead of boys. It could have been something as simple as being hit by a boy in day care and the girls being nice to you.
    What "motivated" me? Are you genuinely being serious? A lot of girls are nice to other girls as children. If it were to "motivate" me to be gay, how would it not "motivate" the others? Because I find girls *attractive*. I find their bodies attractive; I find their voices attractive; I find their personalities attractive; I find women to be attractive. Something as little as, using your example, girls being kind to me would not make me feel sexual and emotionally driven to them.
    People are born asexual and don't develop any sort of sexuality until their hormones start developing which is generally in the start of their teens. Any attractions or not before than time is due to psychological factors.
    I don't know where I stated that we aren't born asexual, but okay. I understand no babe has a sex drive. However, that doesn't mean you aren't born to end up being gay or straight. Have you read anything @DawnBringerRiven quoted?
    If not, I'd suggest it.
    I am not trying to change you. But rather simply to explain to you that while you had no control over it, you most certainly weren't born lesbian.
    That's good cause it would be a bit awkward when you found out you couldn't change me. 
    I believe I read somewhere that the majority of lesbians "convert" to that lifestyle after the age of 40 and being treated like crap by men for their whole lives.
    Oh, really? Now I'm curious. If you could just find & cite your source, that'd be great. It's quite an interesting thing, too. I've been hit on by men, never molested, never raped, etc. and yet, I'm lesbian. Fascinating how that works, isn't it?
    I worked on a project to detect HIV and hence met a lot of homosexuals. And they were obviously "generated" by molesters. The overwhelming majority of them were 'B' type personalities that were preyed upon by the 'A' types. It was really pretty depressing. I was glad to leave that project behind.
    Wait. So in a project on detections of HIV, these homosexual men happened to (for some reason unknown) tell their story of how they "came to be" homosexual? Even though the progression of the said project had nothing to do with them "becoming" homosexual, but on detecting HIV?
    That's very convincing.
  • Oswald_MosleyOswald_Mosley 108 Pts   -  
    You can't be born gay because god aside you are an animal. We are more advanced parts of the animal kingdom. One of our major characteristics as animals is we want to reproduce. You can't reproduce as a gay male/female therefore your born straight and eventually by CHOICE AND FORM OF SEXUAL ATTRACTION then change to become whatever thing you want to be. Heck I had a friend who was gay as a child and became straight. If being gay started with birth then he would of stayed gay.
  • OakchairbcOakchairbc 88 Pts   -  
    A) Scientists have found gay genes that when applied result in non straight sexual orientation[1].
    B) One leading theory on what causes homosexuality is brain structure and development. Certain regions of the brain are responsible for sexual behavior and females as one would expect have a female sexual brain while males have a male sexual brain. Homosexuals brains are more similar too the opposite sex then their own sex[2].
    One way this occurs is that during fetal development testosterone (the male sex hormone) for various reason does not make its way to the hypothalamus region of the brain. 
    C) One finding is that the more older brothers you have the higher chance a male has of being homosexual. The theory is that male antibodies are created when the mother is pregnant and during the second pregnancy these antibodies block male hormones from influencing the brain. 
    D) Many posters here do not know what homosexuality is they are vastly misinformed on the topic. Homosexuality is sexual attraction to the same sex. It has nothing to do with who you have sex with. 

[1]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/research-confirms-gay-gene-discovery-1580244.html[2]http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/study-says-brains-of-gay/