frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Is IBM Watson The Next Big Thing?

Debate Information

IBM Watson is becoming more popular. Will this be the future?
  1. Live Poll

?

6 votes
    1. Yes
      83.33%
    2. No
      16.67%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Yes,
    IBM Watson is gaining popularity. It can do many things and is targeted towards many things including the medical martlet and generally, the technology market.

here is an article: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/IBM-Watson-supercomputer
  • Yes, IBM is extremely innovative, especially now. The IBM Watson can now achieve many things including beating a human in chess.

https://www.ibm.com/watson/
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I will actually argue that while cognitive computing and AI will be the future and will take us to unprecedented territory, I don't believe that IBM Watson will take us there.  iBM cannot compete with innovation with google, amazon, apple.  There are thousands of great startups in the space, creating fantastic ecosystem. Much of IBM, and Google Cognitive computing is now exposed as APIs, allowing creative solutions to be created.  IBM watson technology is very impressive, but overtime it will be overtaken by competition.  In the meantime IBM Watson and other Cognitive Computing companies will transform many things we take for granted.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • inc4tinc4t 186 Pts   -  
    Agsr, IBM survived multipe generations and redefined themeselves.  They went from mainframe (which they still make a lot of money on), personal PCs, to now this.  They have hugh corporate accounts and sell massive Enterprise License agreements to virtually all fortune 500 companies.  IBM is here to stay, and they will leverage their corporate relationships to mature Watson Cognitive capability not achievable by startups. Cognitive computing requires training large data sets, and their corporate relationships enable that.
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    I have to agree with inc4t. Sorry agsr, I don't share your opinion on this one. iBM watson has a great head start, a massive budget, and deep corporate relationships almost impossible to replicate. I see them as a key lomg term player in this space, and this technology will really change the future sooner than we think.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    Inc4t and love2debate, 
    While I agree on your points on corporate relationships, I still think that alphabet companies will overtake them in this space.  They can attract a much larger ecosystem of startup talent, where IBM is just too big and moves too slow.  Your arguments though have a lot of merit, and will help IBM to stay in the game.  They will not be the leader though in 3-5 years.  That is not their key competence.  They cannot attract top talent needed to succeed long term.
    agree with all others on DebateIsland.com and Amazon ads. Those Trump ads on the bottom are also really cool.
    Live Long and Prosper