frame
Check out our new "Formal" Debating!

How can god possibly exist and be true with so many ridiculous absurdities in the bible?

Opening Argument

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/abs/long.htm ;
Plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes (1:14-19). 1:11 

"I have given you every herb ... and every tree ... for meat."
Since many plants have evolved poisons to protect against animals that would like to eat them, God's advice is more than a little reckless. Would you tell your children to go out in the garden and eat whatever plants they encounter? Of course not. But then, you are much nicer and smarter than God. 1:29

"He rested."
Even God gets tired sometimes. 2:2 

Cain is worried after killing Abel and says, "Every one who finds me shall slay me." This is a strange concern since there were only two other humans alive at the time -- his parents! 4:14

"And Cain knew his wife." That's nice, but where the hell did she come from? 4:17

Adam finally dies -- 930 years after eating from the tree of knowledge, contrary to God's false prophecy that Adam would die the day that he ate the forbidden fruit (2:17). 5:5 

God decides to kill all living things because the human imagination is evil. Later (8:21), after he kills everything, he promises never to do it again because the human imagination is evil. Go figure 6:5 

God repents. 6:6-7 

"Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens."
How did Noah know which animals were "clean" and "unclean" to God? (It wasn't defined until Leviticus was written.) 7:2 

Noah sends a dove out to see if there was any dry land. But the dove returns without finding any. Then, just seven days later, the dove goes out again and returns with an olive leaf. But how could an olive tree survive the flood? And if any seeds happened to survive, they certainly wouldn't germinate and grow leaves within a seven day period. 8:8-11 

"I do set my bow in the cloud."
God is rightly filled with remorse for having killed his creatures. He makes a deal with the animals, promising never to drown them all again. He even puts the rainbow in the sky so that whenever he sees it, it will remind him of his promise so that he won't be tempted to do it again. (Every time God sees the rainbow he says to himself: "Oh, yeah.... That's right. I promised not to drown the animals again. I guess I'll have to find something else to do."). 
But rainbows are caused by the nature of light, the refractive index of water, and the shape of raindrops. There were rainbows billions of years before humans existed. 9:13

God says, "Let us go down ..." Maybe he hasn't been talking to himself; maybe there is more than one of them up there. Well, however many there may be, they all decide to come down to confuse the builders by confounding human language and scattering them [humans] abroad. 11:7

The Jews were God's chosen people. So why did God have them enslaved for 400 years? n15:13 

https://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/absurd.html ;
GE 1:3-514-19 There was light ("night and day") before there was a sun. (Note: If there were no sun, there would be no night or day. Also, light from the newly created heavenly bodies seems to have reached the earth instantaneously though it now takes thousands or millions of years.)

GE 1:12, 16 Plants began to grow before there was sunlight.

GE 1:29 Every plant and tree which yield seed are given to us by God as good to eat. (Note: This would include poisonous plants such as hemlock, buckeye pod, nightshade, oleander.)

GE 6:5 God is unhappy with the wickedness of man and decides to flood the earth to eliminate mankind. All living things including plants, animals, women and innocent children are also exterminated. (Note: This is like burning down a house to rid it of mice.)

GE 7:19-20 The flood covered the earth with water fifteen cubits (twenty plus feet) above the highest mountains.(Note: This would require steady, worldwide rainfall at the rate of about 6 inches per minute, 360 inches per hour, 8640 inches per day--for 40 days and nights--so as to cover the entire earth with an endless ocean 5 miles deep, thus burying 29,000 ft. Mt. Everest under 22 ft. of water. How did the author know the depth of the water? Did Noah take soundings? And where has all this water gone?)

GE 3:14-16 God curses the serpent, Eve, and Adam for what they have done. (Note: This is inconsistent with God's omniscience; God should have known full well, ahead of time, what the outcome would be. Since God created the three as well as the Tree of Knowledge, he is ultimately responsible for the Fall.)

LE 14:49-53 The cure for leprosy involves incantations and the blood of a bird. 

NU 22:21-30 A donkey sees an angel, recognizes it as such, and then speaks in human language (presumably Hebrew) to his master. 

2CH 13:17 500,000 Israelites are slain in a single battle. (Note: This is more than were lost in any single battle of World War II, and even exceeds the number of deaths that resulted from the dropping of the atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima.) 

etc etc etc 

Now why should anybody believe in this god of clear insanity? 
dropoutEvidenceSilverishGoldNova

Arguments

• Because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and forms of worship that should be respected so long as they don't infringe upon the rights of others. There is nothing wrong with believing in God or in the powers he exercised in the Bible, the likes of which in a theist's eyes were seen historically but not now. For many people God does not represent strictly what is said in the Bible and he can be an expression of every day life. For those who do believe in the Bible, I say let their interpretation of religion be. Religion is a source of comfort for many people and to know all these stories exist serves as a moral guideline that I think can be a very good thing. Of course it's not all harmonious virtue all the time but nothing is.

This is coming from a very strict atheist. I don't believe in God or any part of the Bible, but let people be. You sound like a complete jerk in half your arguments and people would be willing to take you more seriously if you toned it down.
    SuperSith89comey_testify
  • When I became an atheist I expected to wage many heated discussions arguing, like you, how it was impossible for God to exist. It turned out that atheists were so unecessarily vicious that now I spend most of my time defending religion and people's belief in a god instead. Well done, sir.
  • @melanielust I'm sorry but I cannot possibly respond to anything you have to say. Its so worthless, trite, has nothing to do with the subject matter... I only read your first sentence and then shut it down because of that. The end. 
    PowerPikachu21SuperSith89Erfisflatm_abusteitSilverishGoldNova
  • melanielustmelanielust 232 Pts
    edited June 19
    @awaketowhere
    And that's exactly why no one will ever want to debate with you. If you'd read a little further you would have seen I fully addressed your remarks.
    Peak of arrogance: dismissing without even being willing to understand.
    By the way, if there's one way to tell a man has no confidence in his argument, it's  how he dismisses the arguments of others...
    PowerPikachu21SuperSith89m_abusteit
  • Um no. It means YOU won't debate with me. But then again, I wouldn't want someone like you or anyone who has such limited and obvious stunted intelligence and edumacation levels that you have to debate me with. Your first sentence in your first post says everything I need to know because it has 0 to do with "opinions". See you didn't even read a single absurdity, not one that would NEVER take place IF god is god, before you posted your idiotic "opinion" rhetoric which has nothing to do with anything as you also tried to change the subject as well in your first sentence which didn't work either. Good night. 
    WhyTrumpSuperSith89Erfisflatm_abusteit
  • melanielustmelanielust 232 Pts
    edited June 19
    @awaketowhere

strongly leaning towards you being a troll....?
    If not then you really need to have more of an open mind man. Live outside of your needless hatred for once.
    You can't say anything about my argument because you literally didn't read it. Why? Because you're afraid of finding a logical argument in there? Because you're too lazy to come up with a solid rebuttal? Because you find pleasure in being immature and demeaning? Are you 12? If that's how you want to handle what's supposed to be a respectful discussion, until next time.
    WhyTrumpSuperSith89comey_testify
  • @melanielust Not sure if age is relevant. I know an Anti-Theist from debate.org and he's 50 years old (according to his profile). Though "let opinions be" isn't proof of existence or a direct rebuttal, it's advice worth taking to heart. If you believe God to be evil, how are you any better in hating?
    melanielust
  • @PowerPikachu21 Oh you weren't here early enough.  aarong deleted his above comments to me.  This guy is extremely rude and hateful, believe me. His idea is that if you disagree with him, you deserve to be made fun of.  
    comey_testifymelanielustPowerPikachu21
  • So he is backwardseden. I never liked the guy, honestly.
  • @PowerPikachu21 He must have more of a reputation than I thought.
  • ErfisflatErfisflat 750 Pts
    http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/abs/long.htm ;
    Plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes (1:14-19). 1:11 

"I have given you every herb ... and every tree ... for meat."
    Since many plants have evolved poisons to protect against animals that would like to eat them, God's advice is more than a little reckless. Would you tell your children to go out in the garden and eat whatever plants they encounter? Of course not. But then, you are much nicer and smarter than God. 1:29

"He rested."
    Even God gets tired sometimes. 2:2 

Cain is worried after killing Abel and says, "Every one who finds me shall slay me." This is a strange concern since there were only two other humans alive at the time -- his parents! 4:14

"And Cain knew his wife." That's nice, but where the hell did she come from? 4:17

Adam finally dies -- 930 years after eating from the tree of knowledge, contrary to God's false prophecy that Adam would die the day that he ate the forbidden fruit (2:17). 5:5 

God decides to kill all living things because the human imagination is evil. Later (8:21), after he kills everything, he promises never to do it again because the human imagination is evil. Go figure 6:5 

God repents. 6:6-7 

"Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens."
    How did Noah know which animals were "clean" and "unclean" to God? (It wasn't defined until Leviticus was written.) 7:2 

Noah sends a dove out to see if there was any dry land. But the dove returns without finding any. Then, just seven days later, the dove goes out again and returns with an olive leaf. But how could an olive tree survive the flood? And if any seeds happened to survive, they certainly wouldn't germinate and grow leaves within a seven day period. 8:8-11 

"I do set my bow in the cloud."
    God is rightly filled with remorse for having killed his creatures. He makes a deal with the animals, promising never to drown them all again. He even puts the rainbow in the sky so that whenever he sees it, it will remind him of his promise so that he won't be tempted to do it again. (Every time God sees the rainbow he says to himself: "Oh, yeah.... That's right. I promised not to drown the animals again. I guess I'll have to find something else to do."). 
    But rainbows are caused by the nature of light, the refractive index of water, and the shape of raindrops. There were rainbows billions of years before humans existed. 9:13

God says, "Let us go down ..." Maybe he hasn't been talking to himself; maybe there is more than one of them up there. Well, however many there may be, they all decide to come down to confuse the builders by confounding human language and scattering them [humans] abroad. 11:7

The Jews were God's chosen people. So why did God have them enslaved for 400 years? n15:13 

https://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/absurd.html ;
    GE 1:3-514-19 There was light ("night and day") before there was a sun. (Note: If there were no sun, there would be no night or day. Also, light from the newly created heavenly bodies seems to have reached the earth instantaneously though it now takes thousands or millions of years.)

GE 1:12, 16 Plants began to grow before there was sunlight.

GE 1:29 Every plant and tree which yield seed are given to us by God as good to eat. (Note: This would include poisonous plants such as hemlock, buckeye pod, nightshade, oleander.)

GE 6:5 God is unhappy with the wickedness of man and decides to flood the earth to eliminate mankind. All living things including plants, animals, women and innocent children are also exterminated. (Note: This is like burning down a house to rid it of mice.)

GE 7:19-20 The flood covered the earth with water fifteen cubits (twenty plus feet) above the highest mountains.(Note: This would require steady, worldwide rainfall at the rate of about 6 inches per minute, 360 inches per hour, 8640 inches per day--for 40 days and nights--so as to cover the entire earth with an endless ocean 5 miles deep, thus burying 29,000 ft. Mt. Everest under 22 ft. of water. How did the author know the depth of the water? Did Noah take soundings? And where has all this water gone?)

GE 3:14-16 God curses the serpent, Eve, and Adam for what they have done. (Note: This is inconsistent with God's omniscience; God should have known full well, ahead of time, what the outcome would be. Since God created the three as well as the Tree of Knowledge, he is ultimately responsible for the Fall.)

LE 14:49-53 The cure for leprosy involves incantations and the blood of a bird. 

NU 22:21-30 A donkey sees an angel, recognizes it as such, and then speaks in human language (presumably Hebrew) to his master. 

2CH 13:17 500,000 Israelites are slain in a single battle. (Note: This is more than were lost in any single battle of World War II, and even exceeds the number of deaths that resulted from the dropping of the atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima.) 

etc etc etc 

Now why should anybody believe in this god of clear insanity? 
    Your interpretations of a book written by men have nothing to do with God, and you are a fool for believing that science is infallible. 
    Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

Furthermore, the amount of time and energy you spend attacking the Bible and God shows your insecurities about them. That's right, I see you.
    @awaketowhere

Pseudoscience: noun; a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Scientific method: noun; a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

• dropoutdropout 37 Pts
    God does exist, and the debate should be held in a more open-minded state considering more religions like Judaism and others.
    SuperSith89
  • Please do note half the verses in his debates are not interpretations from any bible I know.  The whole plants for meat verse should be plants for food.  
    edited June 20
    @SuperSith89

I wouldn't worry with him too much, he's obviously trolling and doesn't deserve the attention. It's ok to stand up for your beliefs, but sometimes, like when it falls on deaf or dumb ears, you just have to let it go. I don't think anyone here agrees with anything he says, so he has zero influence, unless you give him your attention. Just let his debates fall off the page. I've proved intelligent design, and he chooses to ignore it.
    melanielustPowerPikachu21

• @Erfisflat He's not a troll, sadly, and I honestly pity him.  I have the joy of waking up each morning with this simple peace.  This knowledge that God has set out the day before me and I'll do my best to enjoy it that way.  This man lives every day with hatred in his heart and I just can't imagine what that is like and would rather not imagine it.  
    melanielust
  • @dropout Really? god exists? Then you go right ahead and you prove that this god of yours exists right now because no one else can. Not one person that has ever existed has ever been able to also. Open-minded. Are you serious? Your non existent god is the most closed-minded nothingness the world has ever seen. Have you ever read your bible? Clearly not. Because that's the most closed-minded diatribe ever written. 
    Erfisflat
  • ImbsterImbster 93 Pts
    @dropout
    Pointing out considering other religions? We all know there's only one unity of monotheistic people believing in one Abrahamic God that will go to heaven. Those are the people that accept Jesus as the way, that believe in his life,death and resurrection, that accept him as a messiah and many sites have stated Jesus is the only way. Even the major sinners can go to heaven as long as they are not a morally good atheist.

https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/28794/do-people-who-commit-major-sins-after-accepting-jesus-go-to-heaven
    Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washedyou were sanctifiedyou were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-11, NIV)

There are some tough things to read and analyse in the Bible, even in the Quran or any religious text which is why I've always preferred scouting original scriptures which my christian friends' parents have connections to.

Some are seemingly evil and questionable if we replace 'God' with 'a man':

A man commanded Moses to talk to the rock so that water may flow.
    Moses did not follow and instead tapped the rock twice so a man banned him from ever entering Jerusalem along with most people of his nation.

Simply God isn't a man and this way of comparative logic isn't enough to convince people to see God in a political and judgemental perspective. What are God's social qualities that separates him from a man when we were made in his image and likeness? The three omnis? I see them as debunked by free will.

@awaketowhere
    Try to explain things in a much formal way. I've said the same things you did only to religious teachers and even though I beat them such that they were silenced, I still got in trouble, a few offences were filed, couple of unnecessary slips.  I mean they should credit me for using my logic and education to question religion but no, I even got the "I'll pray for you" from the principal! He didn't really help me calm my hormones down and so I ended up chatting formally against prayer. That's the day I learned to seperate my religious argument styles from between my classmates and people with high authority. Gladly I transferred school so only my present classmates know.

These aren't just conversations but debates. I'm not gonna be a hypocrite and just admit that yeah in conversations I've mumbled that a few verses are absurd but certainly not in a formal discussion platform.
  • @Imbster Don't bother with awaketonowhere.  He is hateful and takes no opinion other than his own.  Even if you agree with him, he will still trash you.  It's who he is.  
    melanielust
  • SuperSith89SuperSith89 98 Pts
    edited June 21
    @Imbster Check this out for your point on free will: https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/free-will-in-the-bible/

I don't see how it disproves Him as the three omnis.  He can be all those, but still desire to give us choice over controlling us with no choice.  He can still know all, see all, and be everywhere at once.  He loves us enough to allow us to choose, because He knows that a life without choice is a poor one.  Would you rather live in this world or in one where you have no freedom to choose what to do.  That does allow for evil, but that was not God's intention.  Lucifer/the Devil corrupted the world through Adam and Eve's sin.  God told them the consequences, being spiritual and not physical death since they lost their connection to God, and He told them what not to do.  We are now allowed to be connected to God through Jesus now.    
  • @Imbster Don't tell me what to do.K? E specially when I do know a lot more about god, the bible and religion than you ever will. 
    I've been doing this for 40+ years and have talked with roughly 25,000 on this very subject. If you show intelligence and have an education then there's room  for a debate. If not and you pretend like you know what you are squawking about and thus invent excuses and profess to have a knowledge on a subject and you really don't, then you leave yourself either to be ignored or to be belittled, degraded and dehumanized as obvious as the electron painted smiley faces on rolls of t.p that SuperSith89 blatantly is and he knows it. And he has no genuine friends either. Wow does it show. 
    Getting into trouble isn't that much of a big thing because you haven't seen the worst of the worst. You have no idea what true suffering is. I could tell you some true stories that would turn your soul black. And then I would tell you all about me. You've seen nothing. Squat. Ziltch. 
    Gladly I'm happy the way I am with death right around the corner. 
  • @awaketowhere

....I've said repeatedly that I'm an atheist, I don't think I will ever believe in a god. Where did that confusion come from?
  • @awaketowhere- I think you're totally missing the whole point of religion.  It doesn't need to be true.  The Bible is not a textbook.  It was never intended to be, it is the error of fundamentalists that insist on the bible being true.  That doesn't mean they're right!  The fact is most religious people are not fundamentalists!  Atheism assumes that they are!   The Lord speaks in parables- these are stories intended to teach a common ethical paradigm or moral system.  You don't need factual stories to teach that.  You atheist types are all wasting our time with this intellectual masturbation! Science deals in factual discovery and religion is just a blue collar, working class way to discuss ethics and philosophy without the benefit of a college education!  You can even teach ethics to the illiterate if you do it in the context of religion.  The fact is science without religion is every bit as dangerous as religion without science.  The two are complimentary parts of the same whole.  Science teaches us HOW the universe works, religion teaches us the VALUE of the human place in the universe. These two disciplines do not oppose each other- unless you're a fundamentalist and they're such a small radical part of the religious world that everyone thinks they're nuts anyway! 
    melanielustm_abusteitImbster
  • @brainteaser Well if the Bible isn't true, then why is it you should trust what it says on human value when evolution and the big bang place us on a miniscule planet that happened by chance?  If the Bible wasn't true, what point would human value be with science?  In evolution, we used to be monkeys and happened to have a gigantic jump, but we will just be another creature some future evolution learns of.  No value there.  In creation, we are made by God and in His image.  We are given dominion over the animals and Earth.  We are also dearly loved by God through the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.  If the Bible is true, human value means something.