frame
Howdy Debater!
Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is islam a religion of peace

Is Islam a religion of peace?

Comments

• It depends on your standards. There are writings and arguments that support peaceful existence, but then there are also those that do the opposite. For me that puts it in the category of most religions where is restricts violence rather than removing it completely and the onus is on the believer to pick the path of peace rather than the religion forcing it on them and categorically telling

To me the religions which qualify as religions of peace are those like Jainism, the Quakers, large sections of Buddism, etc where there is an absolute and over-riding call for peace. Although I'm not too familiar with it the Ahmadiyya version of the Islamic faith may qualifies under this for me. They essentially reject jihad of a violent nature and state that religious struggle must be done through convincing others, a battle of hearts and minds. I say they may qualify as I haven't investigated it enough to know if they also restrict all non-jihad related violence.
  • VaulkVaulk 209 Pts
    I don't personally believe that Islam "Is" a religion of peace.  I don't think that's it's impossible for it to be Peaceful eventually, but the debate being focused on the current status...no it is not a Religion of Peace.

• SilverishGoldNovaSilverishGoldNova 238 PtsPremium Member
    Premium Member
    Koran 2:191 " And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- îaram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers."

Koran 4:56 "Surely! Those who disbelieved in Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) We shall burn them in Fire. As often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for other skins that they may taste the punishment. Truly, Allah is Ever Most Powerful, All-Wise."

Koran 5:33 " Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,"

Koran 8:12 "[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

Koran 9:30 "The Jews say, "Ezra is the son of Allah "; and the Christians say, "The Messiah is the son of Allah." That is their statement from their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved [before them]. May Allah destroy them; how are they deluded?"
    I use debateisland I guess. Came here from debate.org after I noticed the decline in quality.

Unrelatedly, The Doge Facebook page is threatening to sue me because I called them out for extortion.

That is all I gotta say. 
  • @SilverishGoldNova

You seem to be deliberately misquoting to misrepresent what is being said. If Islam is not a religion of peace, you should be able to show this by quoting passages from the Koran openly and honestly, not in a way that deceives people.

E.g. If you read the passage before Koran 2:191 then it is clear that "them" refers to people who are attacking and persecuting Muslims. It is often read as allowing self-defence. Similarly 4:56 is talking about the afterlife for disbelievers, e.g. hell. It's no worse than a lot of religions promise disbelievers in terms of eternal supernatural punishment.

• I wouldn't say it is the religion of peace, since there are more peaceful religions, but it definitely isn't anything like the terrorists portray it. True jihad is what the Kazakhs are doing against the Chinese.