frame
Howdy Debater!
Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quantitative Investing: A Crisis Waiting to Happen?

Opening Argument

inc4tinc4t 137 Pts
edited May 12 in Investments
WSJ published an article about future of stock investments driven by robots.

https://apple.news/AI1Hz56-VQ0eBSBvsANkAug
therepjoecavalry
  1. Quantitative Investing: A Crisis Waiting to Happen?

9 votes
    1. Yes
      88.89%
    2. No
      11.11%

Arguments

• drelameladrelamela 2 PtsTechnology Community Moderator
    Technology Community Moderator
    I don't think it would break out into a crisis, at least not any time soon. It doesn't seem like that much of a threat. You need humans to do a lot of stuff even in top of this.
  • agsragsr 540 PtsPremium MemberTechnology Community Moderator
    Premium MemberTechnology Community Moderator
    @drelamela, the issue is that lots of algorithmic trading is happening automatically by an algorithm that most humans who created it barely understand. We already have multiple cases where we had major issues, so I think it may have furter fallouts.
    internrubu
    Live Long and Prosper
  • islander507islander507 134 Pts
    At the rate of technological advancement I will be highly surprised if machines will not ourperform humans in trading in the next 10 years.  In many cases they already do.  Since we are talking about trillions of dollars trading in a black box that humans can't understand then I agree with the article that the prospects are scary.
    therep
  • thereptherep 51 Pts
    Machines could completely out perform humans. That is a potentially job killer that Trumo may want to consider and possibly fix.
  • agsragsr 540 PtsPremium MemberTechnology Community Moderator
    Premium MemberTechnology Community Moderator
    @therep, I agree that robotics automation may cause issues with employment.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-pwc-robotics-jobs-20170324-story.htm

Robots could take over 38% of U.S. jobs within about 15 years, report says

joecavalry
    Live Long and Prosper
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 191 Pts
    Artificial intelligence could eventually take out many jobs human shave today or would have in the future if AI wouldn't be there. Also, humans may eventually become less reliant on their Brains which could cause a level of stupidity throughout the humans.
    ale5
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • ale5ale5 146 PtsPremium Member
    Premium Member
    @joecavalry, agree. What we know know as people vs machines will also change.  Cognitive computing will augment many human activities.  The jobs and activities will evolve, as humans will have to partner with robots in different ways.
    your point is also great about humans may become stupid in some ways, but I think in other ways they will become really smart - learning how to leverage robots better.
    agsr
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney