frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Muslim/Arab Inventions Or European/American inventions. Who made more?

Debate Information

I will try to present both sides, As unbiased as i can. 
Islam / Arab World : 
19 Inventions [20 but one is invalid, As it was discovered by the greek earlier] 
https://www.esato.com/archive/t.php/t-137992,1.html
http://mvslim.com/10-things-you-use-every-day-that-are-invented-by-muslims/
Another 5 more. [5 are invalid, As they were in the other link]
24 so far. 25 now, When we include Hotmail. 
Carpets
Carpets were regarded as part of Paradise by medieval Muslims, thanks to their advanced weaving techniques, new tinctures from Islamic chemistry and highly developed sense of pattern and arabesque which were the basis of Islam’s non-representational art. In contrast, Europe’s floors were distinctly earthly, not to say earthy, until Arabian and Persian carpets were introduced. In England, as Erasmus recorded, floors were “covered in rushes, occasionally renewed, but so imperfectly that the bottom layer is left undisturbed, sometimes for 20 years, harbouring expectoration, vomiting, the leakage of dogs and men, ale droppings, scraps of fish, and other abominations not fit to be mentioned”. Carpets, unsurprisingly, caught on quickly.
26 .
http://yumtoyikes.com/2016/08/07/inventions-of-muslim-scientists/
Take 18 out of those, They were in earlier links. 
So plus another 22. Making 48.
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1047852/pakistani-scientist-develops-device-to-diagnose-cancer-rapidly/

Blood Circulation and Anatomy

While Westerners credit William Harvey for discovering blood circulation in 1616, pulmonary circulation had already been described by the Arabic doctor Ibn Al-Nafis 300 years before. While his knowledge was incomplete, Al-Nafis knew that the heart had two halves and that blood passed through the lungs when traveling from one side of the heart to the other. He also realized that the heart is nourished by capillaries.

Pharmacies

Islamic pharmacies, called saydalas, began at the same time as the hospitals, in the late 700s, as part of the Islamic health care system. While Western apothecaries sold ground mummies, dried dung and other strange substances as well as herbs and spices, Muslim pharmacists focused on empiricism—they used substances that showed a positive effect on the patients. In other words, if an herb, spice or other ingredient worked by assisting a sick person to heal, it was used. As Islamic pharmacology evolved, the great Muslim doctors like Al Razi, Avicenna and Al kindi discovered many healing substances for their pharmacies.

Arab pharmacies were government-supervised to ensure the purity and overall quality of the medications, which were weighed in verified scales and labeled correctly. Pharmacies began to spread throughout the Muslim world during the 9th century onwards, whether connected to a hospital or standing alone. Al-Nifas, besides his work on the circulation system, also developed a system of dosage for medications using mathematics.

As Islamic medical knowledge and methods began to filter into Western medieval medicine during the 12th century, so did their treatments for specific diseases. New healing substances were added to Western apothecaries while certain Western medicines, such as theriac, moved into Arab countries due to the growing Arab-European trade.

There might be more.  Seeing as how Arabs and Muslims were pretty much the same. As all muslims who discovered things, Were arabs. So i haven't even counted the christian arabs.
Now for the american and european inventions [Which is a bit unfair, Considering i only counted islamic inventions. And not arabs as a whole]

https://neftimiades.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/a-list-of-american-inventions/

Around 40-42 , In which some are chips, And ice pops, Which is quite laughable.

https://europeisnotdead.com/video/broadcasts-of-europe/european-inventions/
Around 35-38 In total the european and americans have:  76-78
While muslim arabs ALONE have 51.
I'll continue tomorrow. 
melanielustspandam
  1. Live Poll

?

8 votes
    1. Arab/Muslim
      25.00%
    2. EU/America
      75.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• northsouthkoreanorthsouthkorea 221 Pts   -  
    Muslim/Arabs contributed more in the invention side. I would say that it was about the same, but again, the Muslims contributed more and possibly set a baseline for further inventions made by other Arabs and also Americans/Europeans.
  • I disagree with @logic, and @northsouthkorea . European/American contributed much more than Muslims and arabs. It's not even close. Microsoft, Apple etc. , all America/Europe.
    George_Horse
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    I respect the arab/muslim inventions, but at a minimum recent pace of innovation is driven by US/Europe.  
    If we look at technology companies that are responsible for hugh market cap (Google, FB, Twitter, Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Intel) all of that is driven by US.  So from technology perspective I would say we have a clear winner.
    if we look at auto industry, Most manufacturers are also Europe-US.  Asia is a player there too (Japan, Korea, etc).  Tesla is now the most valuable auto company valued by market cap - US based.  
    Space race - that is again mostly US based.
    I cannot think of too many innovative industries driven by Arab nations.

Some factors for lack of innovation for Arab nations - abundance of oil that didnot make innovation a necessity, poverty, wars, lack of diversity. 

Thanks @Logic for creating this debate.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • LogicLogic 279 Pts   -  
    To be honest, This really doesn't even matter. I mean, So what?  
    I think i'll leave it at that.
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    @Logic, that is an amazing point.  There is no benefit of debating this topic for purpose of religion/ethnicity pride.  With so much diversity we now have across the planet, that particular line is really blurry.  Everyone innovates in their own ways, and has different way to measure value. Religious devotion, happiness, etc are also valid measures.
    Perhaps one day more Muslim nations will surprise everyone with technological advances, like Dubai made a decision to be a transformative leader, standing out in many innovative ways.
    Great debating with you.

melanielust
    Live Long and Prosper
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    @agsr and @Logic , great point.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • melanielustmelanielust 285 Pts   -  
    As an astronomer personally I prefer the inventions from the Muslim/Arab world because they essentially helped chart out the entire sky and brought astronomy to the forefront of serious science for a long time. But it's very difficult to try and account for how many inventions each part of the world made. It is probably more like hundreds of thousands of different inventions that varied based off of things like geographical circumstance, making it difficult to trace both the exact number and the direct impacts one area's inventions had on the rest of the world.
    spandam
  • spandamspandam 43 Pts   -  
    If you are referring to astronomy, the Muslims and seabed didn't do to much and even generally they didn't do too much. The American/Europeans did much more in many if not all fields. The Israelis also did a lot and the Chinese.
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 5947 Pts   -  
    The Muslim world was more developed and civilized than Europe at a certain period (circa 900-1400 AD), and at that specific period its inventions definitely surpassed European ones, both in sophistication and in diversity. However, Ancient Greeks and Romans were active in this regard for nearly a thousand years straight, and during and after Renaissance Europe take back the position at the helm of the invention ship. Even if we discard the latest 200 years during which the Muslim world descended into barbarism and religious fundamentalism, overall, integrated over the whole history, the Western world has produced much more inventive technology, than the Eastern world.