frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Chinese Trade War

Debate Information

Should the US declare a trade war on China? 
joecavalrytherep

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• FascismFascism 344 Pts   -  
    I say we should. I agree with the Chinese governments policies on economy, but I don't agree with their aggressive stance on other Asian countries. It is also trying to eradicate Islam in its territory. 
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    No, a trade war between the U.S. and China could rapidly and tremendously decrease the U.S.’s economy anf potentially lead to an increase in the deficit.
    therepBaconToesEmeryPearson
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • thereptherep 61 Pts   -  
    A trade war between the US and China is unlikely due to Trump’s good relationship with China. Also, China provided the U.S. will lower tariffs than the U.S. gave China.
    @joecavalry It would cause greater damage to China. 
    EmeryPearson
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    @therep
    No.
    "China has already threatened to respond to new U.S. tariffs with its own tariffs on some $3 billion-worth of U.S. goods, including pork, pipes, wine and food. It also said it was looking at legal action against the U.S. through the World Trade Organization." http://thehill.com/homenews/politics-101/380201-what-happens-if-trump-sparks-a-trade-war-with-china
    EmeryPearson
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • WilliamSchulzWilliamSchulz 255 Pts   -  
    Considering that China produces 75% of the world's toys/goods, they have a huge influence on the marketing system. Starting a trade war would certainly increase domestic manufacturing, but that might not be enough considering we don't have as many factories or workers as in China. Religion about Islam aside, if we are to compete with China globally, we will need to increase factory count, work unions, and minimum wages to encourage workers to produce American. 
    BaconToes
    A good debate is not judged by bias, but in the context of the debate, where objectivity is key and rationale prevalent. 

• CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Chinese theft of American intellectual property currently costs the US between $225 billion and $600 billion annually.  China has obviously already declared a trade war on the US; it's high time we realize it and take some sort of action.
    Fascism
  • PoguePogue 584 Pts   -  
    CYDdharta said:
    Chinese theft of American intellectual property currently costs the US between $225 billion and $600 billion annually.  China has obviously already declared a trade war on the US; it's high time we realize it and take some sort of action.
    Nobody wins a trade war and they are very bad. They are even worse than the new tariffs. https://seekingalpha.com/article/4158653-trade-wars-bad-nobody-wins
    EmeryPearsonBaconToes
    I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain .” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -   edited March 2018
    Pogue said:
    Nobody wins a trade war and they are very bad. They are even worse than the new tariffs. https://seekingalpha.com/article/4158653-trade-wars-bad-nobody-wins
    Maybe, maybe not.  One thing is certain, we can't continue the path we've been on;

https://howmuch.net/articles/historical-trade-deficit-usa

EmeryPearson
    @Pogue Nobody gains anything right away, but domestic manufacturing is usually boosted by trade wars and it localizes many products. 
  • EmeryPearsonEmeryPearson 151 Pts   -  
    A temporary increase in domestic production in exchange for higher prices. 

Tariffs will increase domestic production (Or in our case, an increase of production within the North America Trade Agreement Zone). Mexico, United States, and Canada.

They will increase prices for Americans. You will pay more, it's unavoidable.

They will leave the competing market relatively unaffected. IF we had a better stake in the Steel and Aluminium industry this would be less true, but fact is, we don't. China regularly produces ten times as much steel.
    Chinese steel and aluminum will still be just as cheap to anyone but an American.

It will not increase international competitiveness. Tariffs improve domestic performance, not international. China alone produces 10 times as much steel, and 35 or so times as much aluminium. There is no Tariff which could increase our production to compete.

Overall, it's like taking a hammer, and using it to perform surgery. Could you get it done? Maybe. But there are better tools out there.
    BaconToesPogue
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    A temporary increase in domestic production in exchange for higher prices. 

Tariffs will increase domestic production (Or in our case, an increase of production within the North America Trade Agreement Zone). Mexico, United States, and Canada.

They will increase prices for Americans. You will pay more, it's unavoidable.

They will leave the competing market relatively unaffected. IF we had a better stake in the Steel and Aluminium industry this would be less true, but fact is, we don't. China regularly produces ten times as much steel.
    Chinese steel and aluminum will still be just as cheap to anyone but an American.

It will not increase international competitiveness. Tariffs improve domestic performance, not international. China alone produces 10 times as much steel, and 35 or so times as much aluminium. There is no Tariff which could increase our production to compete.

Overall, it's like taking a hammer, and using it to perform surgery. Could you get it done? Maybe. But there are better tools out there.
    You point is mute, since the tariffs aren't about steel and aluminum.  The tariffs are about trying to keep industries and industrial secrets we still do have from falling into China's hands.  I suppose we could sit back and watch the tech and aerospace industries go the way steel and aluminum, but I don't think that would be the best idea.