Does the Bible contradict itself and is it scientifically inaccurate? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Does the Bible contradict itself and is it scientifically inaccurate?

Opening Argument

PoguePogue 472 Pts
Are there any?
  1. Is it?

3 votes
    1. Yes
      33.33%
    2. No
      66.67%
I could either have the future pass me or l could create it. 

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• PoguePogue 472 Pts
    I think contradictions destroy the Bible because if it was inspired by an omnipotent being, why does it have these. Genesis 1:3-5

Some contradictions: 
    Can you see the face of God and live?
    These Bible verses say you can: Genesis 16:13, Genesis 32:30, Exodus 24:9-11, Exodus 33:11, and Numbers 14:14
    However, these say no one has and if you do, you will die. Exodus 33:20, John 1:18, John 5:37, and 1 Timothy 6:16

There are more. One of them is that Earth rests on pillars (or foundations of the Earth). This is also scientifically inaccurate (which will be listed again). In 1 Samuel 2:8 it states, "For the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, And He set the world on them." So I guess it states it is on them. However, in Job 26:7, it states Earth hangs on nothing. Although, there are numerous other verses that state otherwise. Even some in Job. They are, but not limited to Job 9:6, Job 38:4, Hebrews 1:10, and Isaiah 24:18. There are about 5 more that reference pillars or foundation. 

These are not the only 2. There are so many more. This website lists a bunch of them https://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html. This also does it. http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/page/bible-contradictions

Now onto the scientific inaccuracies. 
    Has previously stated, it states the Earth is on pillars. In 1 Samuel 2:8 it states, "For the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, And He set the world on them." So I guess it states it is on them. However, in Job 26:7, it states Earth hangs on nothing. Although, there are numerous other verses that state otherwise. Even some in Job. They are, but not limited to Job 9:6Job 38:4Hebrews 1:10, and Isaiah 24:18. There are about 5 more that reference pillars or foundation. Now onto the next. 

Another one is in Genesis 1:3-5. It states that light was created on the first day. However, the stars (whch seperate day and night) were created on the fourth day. 

This is the last one I will do for now. This involves Genesis 1:3-5 and also Genesis 1:9-13. How can you have a night and day without the earth? A day depends upon the rotation of the Earth. Without the Earth created, how can you have a night and day? This website lists many more. http://www.discoveringislam.org/bible_scientific_errors.htm

Ok, so I want to list just one more. In the story of Noah and the flood, it states that there was a global flood. Where did the water go? There is not enough water in our hydrosphere to do this. The flood would also have to cover mountains and so there would need to be so much water. https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Global_flood

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” - Benjamin Franklin  So flat Earthers, man-made climate change deniers, and just science deniers.

I friended myself! 
  • PoguePogue 472 Pts
    I will also add some more contradictions. 

According to Genesis 2:17, Adam and Eve were supposed to die the day they ate the fruit. "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." However, Genesis 5:5 contradicts this.It states Adam lived till he was 930. 

There are many many more. This includes this one: " GE 7:1 Noah was righteous. 
    JB 1:1,8JB 2:3 Job was righteous. 
    LK 1:6 Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous. 
    JA 5:16 Some men are righteous, (which makes their prayers effective). 
    1JN 3:6-9 Christians become righteous (or else they are not really Christians). 
    RO 3:10, 3:231JN 1:8-10 No one was or is righteous." 

Another one is between Genesis 4:16 and Jeremiah 23:23-24Genesis 4:16  states that someone the presence of the lord. However, Jeremiah 23:23-24 states God is everywhere. So how can someone leave the presence of the Lord? 

This one may not be one but it does seem stupid. 
    "GE 11:7-9 God sows discord. 
    PR 6:16-19 God hates anyone who sows discord." God did it but he hates people who do it? That does not make sense. 

This is the last one for today. Genesis 6:3 states that a human will only live for 120 years. Although, Genesis 9:29 says Noah lived for 950 years. 

I will only be listing one scientific inaccuracy for today. It is about Noah's ark. 
    There were only 8 people on the ark. There were also two of every "kind of animal". There is not enough genetic diversity for the species to of survived. 

I friended myself! 
  • Slowly we see that this religion isn't all it's made up to be... We must find the true religion of the flat earth... Worship the north pole.
    Be tomorrow's hero, not today's idol.
  • PoguePogue 472 Pts
    Slowly we see that this religion isn't all it's made up to be... We must find the true religion of the flat earth... Worship the north pole.
    Yes, this religion is seems to not be true. 

I friended myself! 
  • Slowly we see that this religion isn't all it's made up to be... We must find the true religion of the flat earth... Worship the north pole.
    What is it that appears to shaky, that cause one to not believe it to be the one and true religion?
  • PoguePogue 472 Pts
    Slowly we see that this religion isn't all it's made up to be... We must find the true religion of the flat earth... Worship the north pole.
    What is it that appears to shaky, that cause one to not believe it to be the one and true religion?
    Which one? I do not believe in his religion nor yours. 

I friended myself! 
  • VaulkVaulk 410 Pts
    edited 6:07AM
    It would appear on the surface that the issue here is that people can normally apply standards of context to just about anything but when it comes to the Bible...people forget to.

The simplest of statements or pieces of information in text can look evil, dastardly, wicked, disgusting or down right horrible without proper context...so too can the Bible.  

It boils down to this: If you care to know...you'll find out.  If you don't care...your misunderstanding will persist.  Any attempt to spread that misunderstanding to other people is a good indicator of your choice in the matter. 

A good example would be the United States foreign policy.  Too many uninformed people will sit back and criticize efforts to build and maintain certain relationships with foreign countries...having no F$#%&%# clue what they're talking about because rather than reading the foreign policy to develop an understanding of it...some have just skimmed a few pages or done a few google searches and then proceed to influence others as to what their opinion should be without having anything that resembles an informed conscience.

"If there's no such thing as a stupid question then what kind of questions do stupid people ask"?

"There's going to be a special place in Hell for people who spread lies through the veil of logical fallacies disguised as rational argument".

"Oh, you don't like my sarcasm?  Well I don't much appreciate your stupid".