frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

Another person killed by the cops

Debate Information

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/crime_police/article_4489ee48-95f3-11e8-b9f2-c3f1746e0adc.html
"law enforcement" needs a major overhaul at every level, it's not justice reform as there isn't about justice.  This is nothing new and has been a horrible issue for many administrations, yet not a hot topic in the news, not compared to illegal immigration and tax cuts.  There is something fundamentally wrong with our society's priorities imo.
where do you think that law or justice reform ranks in the U.S. generally speaking?  where do you think it should rank? 
"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
The Animals

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Nathaniel_BNathaniel_B 182 Pts   -  
    Ahhhh here we go again. Cops killing people as usual, and no wonder people don't support or feel safe around them. 
    George_HorseZombieguy1987
    “Communism is evil. Its driving forces are the deadly sins of envy and hatred.” ~Peter Drucker 

"It's not a gun control problem, it's a cultural control problem."
    Bob Barr
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 6053 Pts   -  
    In my opinion, the biggest problem with the police system in the US is extremely low training standards. A police officer is a very important profession, it is a core of law enforcement in any society. They should, at the very least, receive education equivalent in time and effort to getting a Bachelor's + Master's degree at a decent university, have to regularly train in martial arts, shooting techniques and psychological drills, and take periodic law and physical shape tests. Look at how Navy Seals are trained, starting from enrolling in the army and ending with retirement - while I am not saying that every police officer should be held to THAT kind of standards, it does give some ideas on what we should learn to expect from officers.

On the other hand, what we have is questionable 6 months long programs, barely any professional standards past the graduation point and the "everyone who enrolls will get a job, no matter how poorly they do" system. You will often see overweight, if not outright obese, officers having trouble walking from their car to yours - how can you expect them to perform professionally in a dangerous situation?

A well trained all-rounded police officer should be proficient in melee and ranged combat, and should be able to keep calm under stress. Such an officer, should things get hot, will be able to resolve the situation the best way possible, making use of every tool in their possession to achieve the bloodless outcome. 
    But as it stands, when the biggest effort an officer has to make daily is to choose which burger to buy at McDonalds - then, of course, as soon as things get anywhere near danger, they will panic and overreact just to ensure their own survival.

---

I have a very high degree of respect for any police officer, including American ones, and my experiences with the police so far have been exclusively and overwhelmingly positive. At the same time, I live in a very quite and safe neighborhood, and rarely anything bigger than a wallet theft happens around here. I imagine the experiences may be quite different for people living on the outskirts of Chicago or Detroit.
    Zombieguy1987
  • ApplesauceApplesauce 243 Pts   -  
    Ahhhh here we go again. Cops killing people as usual, and no wonder people don't support or feel safe around them. 
    A bit extreme if you compare Chicago this past month to unjustified police cause deaths in the whole U.S.  Afaik there's not a national standard for law enforcement training or perhaps the standards are just that low.  There's also a shortage so to make it more difficult or burdensome to enter the field seems counter productive.  Not matter what the system you can weed out the nut jobs who actually join so they can bully people and even shoot them.  In this case it would have been easy to block the tractor or impound it.  If he tried to drive over the police cars he would have been shot (probably) and ruled justified.  Cops like these want to also be the judges (Judge Dread) and dole out the punishment or at the very least maximize it.  Consider the amount of funds collect from tickets, fines etc and what the money is used for.
    "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"
    The Animals