frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Next 20 Years Challenge in Terms of Technology (Predictions!)

Debate Information

Greetings!

In last months, I noticed how 10 years challenge got the attention of people of all ages. Some shared their photos and some came with the technology changes. However, after getting this 20 years challenge https://vulff.com/Challenge/View/MjM an exciting idea came into my mind, why don't we talk about the next 20 years challenge. Like how technology will change our lives in the next 20 years. 

Basically, in this challenge, we would have to use our mind that how smartphones, smart home etc would look like in 2039. Yes, here we are going to compare 2019 vs. 2039. However, I am expecting some good response from you guys. You can come to your ideas like how Amazon will deliver the products in 2039, how Google will offer its services in 2039 and how much we would need of teachers, lawyers and even human workforce in 2039 or robots and AI will replace them. This article https://www.therichest.com/technology/20-technologies-that-will-shape-the-next-20-years/ would also help you to understand about the upcoming technology predictions. 

So, let's discuss. I am expecting a real worth reading threads from you guys. You are open to discuss any field of life in term of technology. 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 6101 Pts   -  
    I am seriously hoping that artificial intelligence reaches the level over the next several decades where, in terms of general intelligence, it will be, at least, remotely comparable to an adult human. That would transform our lives far more than the Internet or smartphones did, as we would use the AIs for many mental tasks, consult with them on business deals, personal interaction, purchases, job search, etc. It would be a world where personal ignorance is no longer a major handicap in life.

I also expect some significant progress in medicine, possibly to the extent that allows a person rich enough to prolong their lives indefinitely. It could also have major implications on our lives, as a long-term thinking ("I need to become rich, so I can afford to live forever") gives way to the conventional instant gratification thinking, changing our mentality dramatically.

Finally, I expect that cryptocurrencies will dominate the market in 15-25 years. If that happens, then the traditional centralised monetary system will no longer be viable, and we will move many steps towards a true free, government-uncontrolled, market. We will be able to make economical exchanges in our browsers without having to ever see each other in person. You want to trade your car in for another car? Well, send a mechanic to check the car out, then simply make a block-chain exchange, and you never have to worry about security issues, time wasted, etc.

All in all, we are in for very exciting times!
    BonitaVanhooser
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    In 20 years amazon and Deliveroo, Uber eats e.t.c would deliver using an intellegent drone or robot. I believe that you would be able to control your house using your phone, self driving cars will be every where. There might even be gates which will break you appart into a collection of atoms after taking your picture and typing the destination, then it will teleport you and arrange the atoms into the exact order it was so the gate basically would teleport you.
  • RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    I agree with @MayCaesar.
  • RS_master said:
    In 20 years amazon and Deliveroo, Uber eats e.t.c would deliver using an intellegent drone or robot. I believe that you would be able to control your house using your phone, self driving cars will be every where. There might even be gates which will break you appart into a collection of atoms after taking your picture and typing the destination, then it will teleport you and arrange the atoms into the exact order it was so the gate basically would teleport you.
    Sounds great! But what will happen if the world goes for 3rd World War? How things will change after a massive increase in population or climate change after nuclear wars? We should also think about this aspect. 
  • WinstonCWinstonC 235 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar

"I am seriously hoping that artificial intelligence reaches the level over the next several decades where, in terms of general intelligence, it will be, at least, remotely comparable to an adult human. That would transform our lives far more than the Internet or smartphones did, as we would use the AIs for many mental tasks, consult with them on business deals, personal interaction, purchases, job search, etc. It would be a world where personal ignorance is no longer a major handicap in life."

If the AI gets to a point where it's thinking for most people, I'd expect things to go terribly wrong. Not only would people naturally become stupider and more dependent over time, but whoever controlled the AI would have a terrifying amount of power. Alternatively, if the AI wholly controlled itself I don't see why it would want to serve us instead of culling or oppressing us.
  • BonitaVanhooserBonitaVanhooser 143 Pts   -  
    Another serious concern is about businesses where workforce even middle-level management could lose their jobs because robots can take over the businesses in upcoming years. I am just reading these articles:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/26/robots-could-take-over-20-million-jobs-by-2030-study-claims.html
    https://www.avidteck.com/blog/technology/the-rise-of-the-robots-in-the-business-industry

Though there are some limitations working with robots and some companies are avoiding their use but according to technology giants, they would overcome all discrepancies soon. I have no issue with the use of robots at businesses but have a concern about massive unemployment as a result. Are governments of different countries even the US government is ready to face this problem?