frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Which is better, Debating or Chess?

Debate Information

Position: For
This is a serious dilemma i have been facing recently. I hope to debate on the side of debating and see what fellow chess players say!
  1. Live Poll

Which is better

6 votes
    1. debating
      66.67%
    2. chess
      33.33%
“The best revenge is not to be like your enemy.” – Marcus Aurelius

Debra AI Prediction

Tie
Predicted
50%
Likely
50%
Unlikely

Details +

For:

60% (12 Points)

Against:

40% (8 Points)

Votes: 2

Debate Type: Traditional Debate

Voting Format: Casual Voting

Opponent: RS_master

Rounds: 3

Time Per Round: 48 Hours Per Round

Voting Period: 7 Days

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Voting

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• Round 1 | Position: For
    JGXdebatePROJGXdebatePRO 408 Pts   -  
    I believe debating is a better form of entertainment as there are so many different ways to express yourself and is also educational and trains you're public speaking skills. Here is why debating is so beneficial.

Debates provide experiences that are conducive to life-changing, cognitive, and presentational skills. In addition, through debate debaters acquire unique educational benefits as they learn and polish skills far beyond what can be learnt in any other setting.

At the very least, debate helps learners to see the power of deploying rational, reasoned arguments and compelling evidence in action. It enables them to elucidate their standpoint through utilizing rhetorical eloquence. It instills in debaters a great sense of poise and confidence. It teaches them the skills of researching, organizing, and presenting information in a compelling fashion.

In general, the benefits of debate include:

• Gaining broad, multi-faceted knowledge cutting across several disciplines outside the learner's normal academic subjects.
    • Increasing learners’ confidence, poise, and self-esteem.
    • Providing an engaging, active, learner-centered activity.
    • Improving rigorous higher order and critical thinking skills.
    • Enhancing the ability to structure and organize thoughts.
    • Enhancing learners’ analytical, research and note-taking kills
    • Improving learners’ ability to form balanced, informed arguments and to use reasoning and evidence.
    • Developing effective speech composition and delivery.
    • Encouraging teamwork.
    Surely you are convinced now that the superior form of entertainment is debating?
  • Round 1 | Position: Against
    RS_masterRS_master 400 Pts   -  
    @JGXdebatePRO chess is known to be an intelligence game. Chess is a creative game and chess improves your iq.
    https://www.brainscape.com/blog/2012/09/brain-benefits-of-playing-chess/ Chess prevents alzheimers and improves your memory. Chess benefits your mental health definitely. Chess helps you strategise. Debating does not help you as much and is not as complicated.
  • Round 2 | Position: For
    @RS_master I find it outrageous that you believe that debating is not as complicated as chess. Debating has hundreds of millions of different styles and deliveries but there is only one way to move a piece.
    Benefits of Debate - American Debate Leaguewww.americandebateleague.org › benefits-of-debate . Some simple evidence of the practicality of debating. Debating actually improves your creativity far more than chess does and will aid your confidence and speaking skills. By the very fact you are here and not on a chess website tells me that you would be happier debating. It is not a debate when the opposition does not believe what they are advocating.
  • Round 2 | Position: Against
    @JGXdebatePRO Chess does not have one way to move a piece. First of all it starts with 32 pieces and 64 squares. Secondly all pieces except for the pawn(which can transform eventually) can move in more than 7 ways when at the centre and not blocked. There are a 75, 000, 000, 000, 000 digits long number for the amount of combinations in a game. In move 4 there are already about a billion possibilities. Chess improves your IQ and memory... that point remains not rebutted. In chess the results are clear and no judge is required whereas in debating there is bias because of the judge..  I usually go onto chess websites 50%  more often than here, to rebut your other point.
    xlJ_dolphin_473
  • Round 3 | Position: For
    To respond to your point, I have a remarkably simple answer. Although chess may improve your iq, do you have any solid evidence ti support this fact, or is this just an unjustified claim? And, in debating, judges are chosen specifically so they have no affiliation with both sides. Next, I will point out that the simple fact that you are on debate websites, regardless of the time frame, shows you are inclined to debate and clearly understand the joy of debating.Benefits of Debate - American Debate Leaguewww.americandebateleague.org › benefits-of-debate This is an interesting site that will hopefully open your eyes to the wonder of the debating world.
  • Round 3 | Position: Against
    @JGXdebatePRO Were you paying attention to the evidence of my 1st post? I will repeat https://www.brainscape.com/blog/2012/09/brain-benefits-of-playing-chess/
    As my 1st post said, chess prevents alzheimers and benefits your memory. It improves your iq.
    40 million people play chess https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20031202005336/en/National-Chess-Survey-Reveals-Truth-Chess-People This is enough to say chess is more popular. More reasons on why our team have won are that chess is more mathematical thus improves you with your logical thinking, mathematics and cognitive ability. Maths is one of the most important and useful subjects. For instance at a shop you have a budget you have to add up the totals of what you are buying and getting your calculator out wastes lots of time. Chess helps with that calculating. This website below shows how it improves test results:
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2158244019870787