Violence is natural to those who do not know God - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything! Debate online for free! DebateIsland is a leading online debate website and is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

Violence is natural to those who do not know God
in Politics

By markemarke 334 Pts
The Bible refers to the lawless and disobedient as "the wicked."  America is being overrun with the wicked this year, and government leaders seem at a loss to recognize the problem for what it is and seem incapable of bringing the lawless violence under control.  Democrats accuse Trump of being evil for wanting to bring the lawless violence under control.  That sort of promotion and protection of  mob violence is very bad.  America needs to remove politicians who refuse to see how bad the lawless violence is damaging America.

These poor kids are wicked, violent and out of control.  I blame the lack of Christian influence in their lives for their obvious lack of the fear of God exhibited by their violent behavior.

'Unfortunately, yesterday evening we had an incident that we have never experienced in 57 years of business'

Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfenScienceRulesliberalwithmoralsAlofRIindependentlyWe_are_accountable

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• I find this generalization and conclusion to be extremely bias and pretty disrespectful. Do you think that if this country was 100% your religion that this violence would just vanish out of thin air? I doubt so. Christians are not immune from acting on violence. I know that you must know this.

I appreciate you trying to understand these violent actors, but you need to think about this a little more. Know that violence usually is an extreme way to get attention. I do not see how any religion would tie into these situations.
    Happy_KillbotJustAnAllMightFanliberalwithmoralsWe_are_accountable
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts

A nonsensical statement and merely an unfounded assertion backed by nothing to support it 
    independentlyPlaffelvohfenJustAnAllMightFanliberalwithmoralsAlofRI
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3408 Pts
    edited July 28
    Christianity has not been a part of my life in any way: my parents are both open atheists, and I have never taken religious preachings from anyone seriously.
    Am I violent? He-h... I will pick up carefully every spider I find in my apartment and take it outside, trying not to harm it.
    Granted, if it comes to self-defense, you really do not want to be dealing with me: I am a boxer, and I can easily send you to a hospital for months if you cross me. I am a peaceful animal, but I can be vicious when I am cornered. But aside from that, I am a meek deer frolicking under the sun.

Christians also have slaughtered and burned at a stake dozens millions throughout human history. It does not seem that the Christian god has that much aversion to violence.
    Granted, the Christian god does seem to be more pacifist than the Islamic and the Judean gods - but that is not a big achievement.

Finally, there are countries where Christianity is barely on the radar, while people there are very peaceful. Look at Japan: the most peaceful people I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with - yet less than 2% of them are Christian, and the vast majority of them are not even religious in the Western sense of the word.

Whether you are violent or not does not depend on what ideology you follow (although particular interpretation of particular ideology can certainly affect it). It depends on who you are as a person.
    PlaffelvohfenliberalwithmoralsAlofRIxlJ_dolphin_473
  • The whole purpose of religion is to convince otherwise smart people to do things that are not in their best interest.

War happens to be one of those things.

If someone is an atheist, then to them they most likely don't believe in life after death and as such can't afford to make dumb sacrifices. For the theist who does believe in an afterlife, it is trivial to do so, because they have been deluded into expecting a reward for their piety. In reality, they will get none.
    PlaffelvohfenliberalwithmoralsWe_are_accountable
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• markemarke 334 Pts
    @MayCaesar

Jesus condemned hateful acts of violence.  Hence, Christians who fear God are hesitant to commit hateful acts of violence for fear of angering God.
    independentlyPlaffelvohfenliberalwithmoralsWe_are_accountableAlofRIxlJ_dolphin_473
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

Those who fear God also respect others, obey the autorities and seek to do good to others.  That os what is taught ion Christian schools.  Modern kids who commit vicious acts of violence against others do not give the bystander any impression of having been taught in a Christian school.
    liberalwithmoralsWe_are_accountableAlofRIPlaffelvohfen
  • @marke ;
    And what of the violent Christians? I know more violent Christians than violent atheists.

Consider this: If they had taught you in Christian school to rape, murder, and enslave in gods name as the bible instructs, would you do it?

AlofRIPlaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

@marke

Only for as long as they believe that a given act of violence is not desired by god. Once their church manages to convince them that a certain act of violence is desired by god and Jesus' reasoning does not apply to it, they are all too happy to get violent.

That is the problem with relying on authority in one's moral judgement: should the opinion of the authority change, the moral judgement will also change.

On the other hand, morals built on the principles of logic and reason, rather than mysticism and arbitrary authority, do not depend on anything but the fundamental structure of reality. And such morals are incompatible with religion.

To put it bluntly, if you do not commit an act of violence because of fear of angering god, then you do not have a moral code to speak of. You need to understand why that act of violence is inherently wrong for your stance to be moral, and you do not need any gods or other authorities to tell you that. You only need your own wit.
    Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfenindependently
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

The Bible does not condone wicked violence.  God cannot condone sin because that would be a sin also, just like those politicians who condone the destructive violence currently being perpetrated by anti-American Trump-hating seditious rebels.
    Happy_Killbotliberalwithmorals
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @MayCaesar

Those who commit unjustified violence are messed up in the head, no matter how you want to describe it.
    liberalwithmorals
  • @marke ;
    marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

The Bible does not condone wicked violence.  God cannot condone sin because that would be a sin also, just like those politicians who condone the destructive violence currently being perpetrated by anti-American Trump-hating seditious rebels.
    Read em' and weep:

Numbers 31: 17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
    18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Clearly you haven't read the bible... God orders the killing and murder of entire cultures and civilizations all throughout the old testament. Not only does Yahweh condone violence, he explicitly demands it when he is not causing it himself.

Is your religion Christian, or evangelical conservative? 

• markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

God commanded his people to execute God's judgment on His enemies in the OT.  That does not mean modern democrats can execute judgment on their Christian opponents for resisting abortion, sodomy, theft, crime, violence or whatever.
  • @marke ;
    marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

God commanded his people to execute God's judgment on His enemies in the OT.  That does not mean modern democrats can execute judgment on their Christian opponents for resisting abortion, sodomy, theft, crime, violence or whatever.
    You miss the point and try yet again to change the subject.

If god commands violence in the old testament, then god does approve of violence.

If you so believe that the religious are somehow morally pure, think again. The bible is an immoral book, superseded, replaced, or never relevant as a source of morality. To claim otherwise is a travesty.

• markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

I did not say God opposes all violence.  I said God opposes illegitimate, immoral, unjust and unethical violence.
  • @marke ;
    marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

I did not say God opposes all violence.  I said God opposes illegitimate, immoral, unjust and unethical violence.
    Who decides what is legitimate, moral, and ethical and who does not?

Do the Muslims get to decide? God told them to throw Homosexuals off the roof and die in Allah's name for special treatment in heaven. Does this mean that Muhammad is holy, and his words morally infallible?

If you can assert that your god is right, then any one else can assert that their god is right correct?
    liberalwithmoralsWe_are_accountablePlaffelvohfen

• markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

Like Indiana Jones in his last crusade, you must choose wisely or you will die.  Commit acts of violence God does not approve of and you will regret it.
    Happy_KillbotindependentlyliberalwithmoralsWe_are_accountableAlofRIPlaffelvohfen
  • @marke ;

marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

Like Indiana Jones in his last crusade, you must choose wisely or you will die.  Commit acts of violence God does not approve of and you will regret it.
    You dodge the question...

Why is that? 

Is it because you are afraid to face the answer? Or do you just not know?

My god claims that all Christians are vile, evil, and an enemy to the one true religion, and therefore must be slain or converted.

What makes this claim moral or immoral? If you god can claim something, why can't mine?

After all, Christianity is made up and mine is the one true religion which follows the one true god.
    We_are_accountableliberalwithmoralsPlaffelvohfen

marke said:
    @MayCaesar

Those who commit unjustified violence are messed up in the head, no matter how you want to describe it.
    But who is to say what violence is justified and what is not? If this judgment is to be delegated to some authority, real or imaginary, then any violence is justified that the authority believes is justified. Which means that, in principle, any act of violence is justifiable - which is a precarious position to hold.

On the other hand, if you are coming not from listening to some authority, but from thinking about the problem rationally, based on some reasonable set of axioms - then you can clearly (in most cases) tell justified violence from unjustified one. Which, again, you do not need any gods, churches or philosophers for - although listening to those authorities' arguments can be valuable in helping to develop your own position. But, at the end of the day, the position should be yours, not someone else's appropriated by you.
    independentlyAlofRIliberalwithmorals
  • marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

Damn. This is an absolutely BS. Dude violence is violence no matter how much you try to defend it by saying some hypothetical being, purely hypothetical being, supports it. The first sentence almost sounds as if you personally know God :p. Now please give examples of legitimate, moral, just and ethical acts of violence. Also explain how do you get to decide which act of violence is just and moral and ethical and legitimate. 
    liberalwithmoralsindependentlyHappy_KillbotWe_are_accountableAlofRIcarryrocksPlaffelvohfen
    Lover, hunter, friend and enemy
    You will always be every one of these
    Nothing's fair in love and war.
  • Violence is natural to those who do not know God

Also in the motion you did not mention which type of violence you are talking about since later you say there are two types of violence, one which is moral and just and ethical and legitimate while the other one is immoral and unjust and unethical and illegitimate. And how does anyone living know god?
    liberalwithmoralsAlofRIcarryrocksPlaffelvohfen
    Lover, hunter, friend and enemy
    You will always be every one of these
    Nothing's fair in love and war.
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts

It seems to come pretty natural to most ‘christians’ who historically have murdered , maimed , pillaged,  looted and raped in gods name following the example of god as depicted in the Bible.

The ‘christian ‘ god sanctions and approves of  murder, slavery , rape , pillage , pestilence , abortion  and slavery in the Bible all because he gets annoyed at what he created , you’re not in a position to preach to others what you excuse in your god and fellow believers 
    liberalwithmorals
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

God claims newborn Christians are changed creatures, old things are passed away and all things are become new.  2 Corinthians 5:17.

God claims Christians are made civilized by the new birth effected by His Spirit.  It is wrong to claim Christians are no different from the unsaved, ungodly, violent barbarians.
    independentlyHappy_KillbotWe_are_accountableliberalwithmoralsPlaffelvohfen
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @MayCaesar

I marvel that so many leading democrats today cannot see how or why looting, burning, assaulting, murdering, trashing, rebelling, and all sorts of violence are wicked and evil.
    liberalwithmoralsPlaffelvohfen
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @ScienceRules

God knows what violence is justified and what violence is not.  Burning down a man's business after smashing into it and robbing him of everything he owns, and then murdering the poor shop keeper, is unjustified violence which makes God angry.  Chasing down and killing terrorists who cut off the heads of innocent women and children involves justified violence in God's eyes.
    We_are_accountableliberalwithmoralscarryrocksPlaffelvohfen
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

Any American, for example, who commits violent acts of murder in God's name, still deserves the death penalty no matter how religious he stupidly imagines he is.
    liberalwithmorals
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

Any American, for example, who commits violent acts of murder in God's name, still deserves the death penalty no matter how religious he stupidly imagines he is.
    liberalwithmorals
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

Right , yet your bible clearly says death is the penalty for homosexuality so they would be obeying gods law you would be defying god meaning you’re the sinner not them , right ?
    AlofRIliberalwithmorals
    marke said:
    @MayCaesar

I marvel that so many leading democrats today cannot see how or why looting, burning, assaulting, murdering, trashing, rebelling, and all sorts of violence are wicked and evil.
    Perhaps, but what does it have to do with knowing / not knowing god, or the points I raised? Most Japanese people do not know god (there is no god in the Shinto religion, although there are spirit-like entities), yet I have never heard of them looting, burning, etc. anything over the last 75 years. On the other hand, people in Syria know god quite well... Does not seem to be helping them.

It is not about knowing or not knowing god. It is about the general system of values one has. Politicians, in general, have a very simplistic system of values: "What gets me elected/reelected is right, what does not is wrong". So I would not expect a highly principled stance on violence from them.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

It is not God's will for Christians to try to live under the Jewish laws of the OT.
    liberalwithmorals
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @MayCaesar

We train children in our Christian school to love and obey God and to be respectful towards others.  None of that sort of training can be seen in the modern mobs committing democrat-supported violence in the US.
    liberalwithmorals
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

It is not God's will for Christians to try to live under the Jewish laws of the OT.

It certainly is according to the Bible 

@marke

From what I can see, all leading Democrats are Christian: Pelosi, Clinton, Obama, Biden... Does not quite align with the theory that teaching people Christian values leads them to oppose violence, in conjunction with the claim that the leading Democrats do not oppose it.

I also cannot find any statistics verifying that Christians are statistically less likely to partake in violence than non-Christians. I have only found that some crime rates are slightly lower among Christians than non-Christians - but they are also lower among Muslims, Shintoists, etc. I would propose that the difference is explained not by a particular religion, but by a person feeling a sense of belonging in some community and of duty to it. Of course someone who believes that committing crime is not going to lead to any repercussions for them is going to be more likely to commit crime, than someone who fears the retaliation of the community.
    This does not suggest, however, that such people are fundamentally more opposed to violence. Being opposed to violence out of principle, and being opposed to violence out of fear, are two different things.
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Dee

Romans 6:14

“For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.”

liberalwithmorals
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @MayCaesar

Those democrats who support the inane violence must be from a different denomination than the one I belong to.
    independentlyliberalwithmorals
  • DeeDee 2362 Pts
    @marke

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — 
  • @marke
    marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

God claims newborn Christians are changed creatures, old things are passed away and all things are become new.  2 Corinthians 5:17.

God claims Christians are made civilized by the new birth effected by His Spirit.  It is wrong to claim Christians are no different from the unsaved, ungodly, violent barbarians.

You are still dodging the question!

There are thousands of different gods, so can any god claim morality?

If not, what makes your god more special than any other?

Besides, Christians account for most of the US prison population.
    Modern prisoners of America races and religious affiliations
    Plaffelvohfen

• markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

There is no juistification for criticizing Christianms for believing the Bible and trusting the One True Creator God of the universe over the hordes of false gods.
  • @marke ;
    marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

There is no juistification for criticizing Christianms for believing the Bible and trusting the One True Creator God of the universe over the hordes of false gods.

Why won't you answer the question though?

How do you know that your god is the one true god, and not any other god in order to make moral claims from its authority?

Do the Muslims not claim to follow the one true god?

Do the Hindus not claim to follow the one true god?

The Hellenist?

The Pagans?

The Aztecs?

The Mayans?

The Zoroastrians?

If you want to claim moral superiority because you do whatever your god says, then that depends on us proving your god is real, doesn't it?

Is there any argument you could make that any other religion could not claim proves their god is real?

• xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 436 Pts
    edited July 29
    marke said:
    The Bible refers to the lawless and disobedient as "the wicked."  
    @marke
    This is very wrong. A sense of independence and disobedience is key to a healthy personality. Being afraid to speak up for yourself is a sign of a damaged, weak mind. Christianity teaches people that they should "respect their elders", resulting in a system where said elders have little respect for young people. Christianity teaches that disobedience is evil, resulting in a system where people are afraid to speak up, and instead just blindly agree to whatever other people tell them.
    liberalwithmorals
    marke said:
    @MayCaesar

Those democrats who support the inane violence must be from a different denomination than the one I belong to.
    They may be. This just goes once again to show that the relationship between Christianity and violence is much more complicated than you suggested in your opening post.

The idea that Christianity is some kind of a noble religion that denounces violence is simply not true. The Bible sends conflicting messages, sometimes justifying violence, other times denouncing it, and the pattern is not very clear (to me, at least, as a non-scholar). And if you look at the version closer to the source, the Old Testament, then you will see justification of some of the most horrific things imaginable there, such as sexual slavery of children. The New Testament is a much more vegetarian book, but it still contains some problematic passages.

Let us not pretend that any of the mainstream religions or other ideologies is noble and benevolent. They all have their issues.
    liberalwithmorals
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

You want to claim I am wrong to believe the Christian God is the only God.  You are wrong.  You might as well criticize me for believing the earth revolves around the sun because some people happen to believe the sun revolves around the earth.  I don't care if people want to believe in false gods.  Just because people believe in false gods does not make the One Creator God a lie.
    Happy_KillbotPlaffelvohfen
  • @marke ;
    marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

You want to claim I am wrong to believe the Christian God is the only God.  You are wrong.  You might as well criticize me for believing the earth revolves around the sun because some people happen to believe the sun revolves around the earth.  I don't care if people want to believe in false gods.  Just because people believe in false gods does not make the One Creator God a lie.
    Did I say you were wrong?

No I did not.

I want you to show me how you know you are right, and that you don't believe in a false god.

Show us the evidence.
    xlJ_dolphin_473Plaffelvohfen

• @marke

Yes, when the Left started twisting the Constitution, such as taking  words from a Thomas Jefferson's letter, "Separation of Church and State", and then using that phrase to distort the actual words  from the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.... “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”, it was the beginning of the end for America's freedoms.

This is Liberalism 101. They twist and distort our Constitution to pass their radical policies of No Restriction abortions, censorship of religious expression, etc. etc.
    The Left used a privacy clause in the Constitution to actually condone aborting viable human babies! UNBELIEVABLE!

These radicals actually condoned killing babies under the pretext it was a privacy issue for a mother to kill their own children. There is no limit to their deception without God's love in their hearts.

The violence we are seeing is being ignored by these Godless people. They are so lost, they can no longer discern right from wrong. They so hate Christians and Conservative ideals, that they are willing to abandon everything they once claimed to stand for.
    They watch as movies such as "Gone with the Wind" are being censored and banned for not being politically correct. They watch as Statues of Columbus are torn down, all under Big brother Political correctness.

We sit here reading the words of these Leftist debaters excusing the unexcusable. They are so lost, they can not even see their double standards and hypocrisy.  
    liberalwithmoralsHappy_Killbotindependentlymarke
  • @marke ,

You are experiencing the hate put forth by the Godless if you dare point out the obvious. If you dare point it out, they will descend upon on you with their cherry picked Old Testament verses, taken out of context, trying to switch the debate to God's actions against evil in this world.
    They are like a broken record, and will repeat the same drivel to any Christian on this site.

We are seeing the violence all around us while these Leftists are silent, but they love twisting God's word to try and excuse their violence towards our most innocent.

They actually try to imply it is ok for them to kill viable unborn babies because God killed babies in the great flood, etc. etc.

They love twisting God's words to further their inhumanity towards others.
    liberalwithmoralsHappy_KillbotindependentlymarkePlaffelvohfen
  • AlofRIAlofRI 829 Pts
    marke said:
    @Dee

Romans 6:14

“For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.”

I kinda liked being under Grace. :love:
    liberalwithmoralsmarkeDeexlJ_dolphin_473Plaffelvohfen
  • Wait are you saying your dont believe the sun revolves around the earth. Wow. That's just plan science 101. @marke
    edited July 30

..If you dare point it out, they will descend upon on you with their cherry picked Old Testament verses, taken out of context, trying to switch the debate to God's actions against evil in this world...

I am eagerly waiting for you to provide a context in which the following statements can be interpreted as denouncing violence and twisting god's words:

"See, the day of the Lord is coming — a cruel day, with wrath and fierce anger. . . . I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty. . . . Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives violated." (Isaiah 13:9–16 NIV)
    "You shall acknowledge no God but me. . . . You are destroyed, Israel. . . . The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open." (Hosea 13:4, 9, 16 New International Version)
    "Hear and give ear; do not be haughty, for the Lord has spoken. . . . And if you say in your heart, 'Why have these things come upon me?' it is for the greatness of your iniquity that your skirts are lifted up, and you are violated . . . because you have forgotten me and trusted in lies. I myself will lift up your skirts over your face, and your shame will be seen." (Jeremiah 13:15–26 NRSV)

I am also not on the "Left". Anyone wielding common sense can see these passages as problematic, regardless of their political leaning.

xlJ_dolphin_473
  • markemarke 334 Pts
    @Happy_Killbot

I grew up in church.  I was made aware of Christianity and had a little understanding of what the Bible taught.  I became convinced at 19 years old that I needed to have my sins forgiven so I prayed to the Lord for forgiveness and salvation.  The Lord did something in me then that caused me to want to read the Bible all the time.  It was reading the Bible that convinced me of God's truth.
    Happy_Killbotindependently
  • @marke ;
    marke said:
    @Happy_Killbot

I grew up in church.  I was made aware of Christianity and had a little understanding of what the Bible taught.  I became convinced at 19 years old that I needed to have my sins forgiven so I prayed to the Lord for forgiveness and salvation.  The Lord did something in me then that caused me to want to read the Bible all the time.  It was reading the Bible that convinced me of God's truth.
    What does you being indoctrinated into the religion have to do with its accuracy, and therefore its basis as a standard for morality?

Muslims are convinced by the teachings of Islam. Does that make this accurate too?

Both Islam and Christianity can not be correct at the same time. So which is correct, and how do you know?

You are still dodging the question.

DeexlJ_dolphin_473Plaffelvohfen