frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Did Obama wire tap Trump before the election?

Debate Information

President Trump on Saturday angrily accused former president Barack Obama of orchestrating a “Nixon/Watergate” plot to tap the phones at his Trump Tower headquarters last fall in the run-up to the election.

The Washington Post: Trump accuses Obama of ‘Nixon/Watergate’ plot to wire tap Trump Tower https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/03/04/trump-accuses-obama-of-nixonwatergate-plot-to-wire-tap-trump-tower/
  1. Live Poll

?

12 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      50.00%
WhyTrump - a good question

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ournomento_28ournomento_28 12 Pts   -  
    I really don't believe that this happened. It's just an obscure claim.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    I think it's too early to say.  I don't think Trump would have said something if he had no evidence.  Keep in mind, the Obama administration was rather fond of wire taps.  They got caught tapping Angela Merkel and 34 other world leaders.
  • islander507islander507 194 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta , I agree.  The news made it sound like Trump just twitted that because he was not in a mood. Trump had some basis to do that, and to you point Obama had history.  Additionally, Snowden was a product of Obama administration- Obama's administration thought nothing of mass surveillance.
  • foodrunded_52foodrunded_52 12 Pts   -  
    I really doubt that happened.
  • dexjexadexjexa 12 Pts   -  
    Yes, I believe so.
  • cjwcjw 7 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta Trump said he had investigators who had amazing information about Obama not being born in the US too. he also said Trump U was not a fraud.
  • cjwcjw 7 Pts   -  
    @CYDdharta Weak point. We tap lots of world leaders.  No need to wiretap Trump, his crazy was out there for anyone to see. And if it wasn't , he'd call in to make sure we all knew.  Big difference, legally between listening to foreign governments and getting court order for American citizen. 
  • agsragsr 881 Pts   -  
    We don't have evidence that Obama wire tapped Trump. That said, as @CYDdharta stated there is a precedent. We will have to see what evidence Trump actually has, but I doubt he would go that far with nothing. I think it is bery plausible, but we just have to see.
    Live Long and Prosper
  • oeliaoelia 2 Pts   -  
    No, that's an inaccurate claim.
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    Now some republicans are distancing themselves from Trump on his claim
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/07/trump-wiretap-obama-republicans-us-intelligence
    But since that's a familiar pattern and Trump after all is an outsider, that is not unexpected.
  • CYDdhartaCYDdharta 1823 Pts   -  
    @cjw Refresh my memory; what was pressing need Obama had to tap Angela Merkel's phones in 2013? 
  • ale5ale5 263 Pts   -  
    No excuse by Obama to wiretap Merkel and other leaders, but that is a far stretch from saying he wire tapped Trump.  I stil have not seen evidence other than speculation.  
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney
  • WhyTrumpWhyTrump 234 Pts   -  
    There is really no evidence, and now FBI Director Comey: Justice Dept. has no information that supports Trump’s tweets alleging he was wiretapped by Obama

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-director-to-testify-on-russian-interference-in-the-presidential-election/2017/03/20/cdea86ca-0ce2-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html?utm_term=.d8fc55dcccb0&wpisrc=nl_&wpmm=1
  • joecavalryjoecavalry 430 Pts   -  
    Yes, it's very surprising no evidence was found.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • love2debatelove2debate 186 Pts   -  
    Given the precedent I initially also thought that Trump had some real evidence on Obama.  I am now starting to strongly doubt myself that he actually had any evidence,