frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Biblical Q & A For Anyone

Debate Information

Q: Our science teacher told us that the Earth is in fact some 13.5 billion years old and that the Bible is wrong by saying that the Earth is only six thousand years old.
My Pastor explained to me that my teacher is wrong since it does not say anywhere in the Bible how old the Earth is. So who is right then?

A: Your science teacher is right and your Pastor is wrong or at best, misleading. The Bible states the age of the earth by genealogical deduction. That is, Adam was 130 and 11 months when he fathered Seth, Seth was 105 and 11 months when he fathered Enosh, And so on up until the great flood. That there is such a fundamentally huge error in chronology gives rise to the reasonable conclusion that anything stated in the Bible lacks credibility.

Q: Okay, I explained what you said to my Pastor and he said that my science teacher is right and so is he right. He went on to say that one of God's years equals thousands of our years and that's what it meant in the Bible.
A: I'm afraid your Pastor is being a little bit shy of being upfront there. Nowhere in the Bible does it state that one of God's years equals thousands of ours. The Bible quite clearly states the number of years. A year is a year is a year.
In any case, that would mean that the life span of early man would be something like half a million years. As it is, Biblical claims that early inhabitants lived to over 130 years old is a bit rich, to say the least. We know from solid evidence that early man was lucky to have survived past 20 years of age.

Q: A recent documentary on TV showed that Noah's Ark actually existed. In fact, It showed scientists unearthing solid evidence of the arc and the pieces found clearly outlined the shape of such a giant vessel. The pieces were carbon dated and verified by scientists. Is this then surely proof that reinforces the accuracy and trueness of what is written in the Bible?
A: It was quite a comprehensive documentary indeed but at no point was a statement made confirming the existence of the arc. The words, "could have" and "possibly" were used in abundance throughout the film.
The fact is that the entire "Noah's Arc Discovery" was a complete hoax. The so-called "scientists" just happened to belong to the Noah's Arc Society based in Hong Kong. The society was duped into investigating an "archaeological find" near Mt Ararat.
Probably instigated by the local tourist council to attract tourists, some local Kurds were paid to lug some ancient fossilised wood to the site and bury it in a ship-like formation.
Further "scientific" evidence of massive floods in the region confirm no more than what has happened for hundreds of thousands years and still happens around the globe but certainly nowhere near the scale as mentioned in the Bible.
JesusistheonlyGod777

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments