Is It Wrong To Burn The Bible? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

Is It Wrong To Burn The Bible?

Debate Information

In this day and age, I think it as an offence to harm the environment by burning Bibles.

Especially when all you need to do is have the Bible on Kindle then delete it.
Debate Details +

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Arguments

Arguments

• AlofRIAlofRI 1037 Pts
    I remember when women were burning their bras. Now THAT was wrong! (Well, for SOME anyway).

I say, If you need it, don't burn it. If you can go without .... it might be better for those around you.  :sweat_smile:
  • edited October 17
    If the given bible in discussion is going to have an overall detrimental effect on the person creating mass paranoia, delusions, and in general making the gullible, naive and foolish (average, majority of) humans to percieve the world in an irrational and illogical manner which prevents them from having a curiosity about gaining more knowledge of the universe since they simply explained it by God did it and thus not allowing or at the very least reducing the ability of the overall society to further develop technologically, scientifically, etc and manipulating them via illogical religious beliefs. Well overall I say if someone wants to burn a bible for good reasons I say sure, go ahead. Nothing wrong except the pollution it may cause but then again when huge tons of smoke is released every single day by factories what difference would one book being burned make?
  • Burning the Bible says more about one's heart and attitude concerning God than their concerns about the environment. For the atheist, burning the Bible is good preparation for the Lake of Fire.

IdeaoftheEndless
  • I'll put my debate in a shorter and clearer manner so as to allow even the meanest of intelligence to be able to understand me. The amount of pollution created by factories is in tons every single day and burning of a single book would make near zero to negligible difference to the environment since smoke created by burning a book is infinitesimally small in comparison to a ton of smoke. Thus I would repeat myself in a crystal clear way that it makes no difference and if someone does burn a book no harm no foul done. If it makes the individual in question happier then all the more better for the person. I suggest go for it if you are the sort of person who will enjoy it.
  • edited October 17
    @RickeyD
    I doubt you are going to make the effort which I ask of you or even be able to respond to me effectively but still, one must never underestimate others so I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You believe a particular conjecture known as god which is indeed the entire basis of your argument against burning bibles so I ask of you if you can provide a significant amount of scientific evidence or data which is so overwhelming ginormous that it can indeed without a doubt be considered as an excellent theory? If you do have so much data supporting your conjecture please send it to the foolish physicists and scientists who constantly observe the universe for the sole purpose of improving their and collectively the world's understanding but never once noticed any compelling evidence whatsoever of this conjecture of yours. In light of any new information which proves your conjecture beyond doubt in a logical manner I will indeed agree with you but until then forgive me for reserving a modicum of cynical nature in my mind of your conjecture. 
  • @RickeyD
    I doubt you are going to make the effort which I ask of you or even be able to respond to me effectively but still, one must never underestimate others so I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You believe a particular conjecture known as god which is indeed the entire basis of your argument against burning bibles so I ask of you if you can provide a significant amount of scientific evidence or data which is so overwhelming ginormous that it can indeed without a doubt be considered as an excellent theory? If you do have so much data supporting your conjecture please send it to the foolish physicists and scientists who constantly observe the universe for the sole purpose of improving their and collectively the world's understanding but never once noticed any compelling evidence whatsoever of this conjecture of yours. In light of any new information which proves your conjecture beyond doubt in a logical manner I will indeed agree with you but until then forgive me for reserving a modicum of cynical nature in my mind of your conjecture. 
    @RickeyD
    If in your earlier debate you meant to imply that I am an atheist you would be wrong. I'm agnostic which means I am neither a believer nor a non believer. I look at evidence and probability. I'm more cynical and logic oriented, less sentiment, herd minded, religious and blindly believing. 
  • @IdeaoftheEndless ; You are dead spiritually in your naturalism and have no capacity or will to believe.

“Christianity is the only coherent worldview with corresponding truth that defines origin-meaning-morality-destiny and directly answers with logical consistency, empirical adequacy, experiential relevance.” (Ravi Zacharias) There is ONE God and ONE Mediator for sin, Jesus Christ-Yeshua (1 Timothy 2:5).

“There are honest doubters and dishonest doubters. An honest doubter is willing to search out the truth and live by the results; a dishonest doubter doesn’t want to know the truth. He can’t find God for the same reason a thief can’t find a policeman.” Adrian Rogers

Three-forms of evidence validating our Creator, Jesus Christ-Yeshua…

1) Nature

2) The Incarnation of God in Time

3) The Written Covenant between God and Mankind

1) Empirical – Preliminary – Substantive – Observable Evidence = Nature

The Universe, encompassing the Sun-Moon-Stars-Earth, descending downward to the complex human genome (life), all provide empirical, preliminary, substantive, observable, evidence for design in Nature and therefore mandate a Designer (Isaiah 66:1; Acts 7:49).

The Holy Spirit has clearly articulated that anyone who denies these empirical, supernatural, inexplicable, forms of Nature as testimony relevant to our Creator’s validity will be “without excuse” when they stand in the Judgment before Jesus Christ-Yeshua in Eternity (Romans 1:18-32; Revelation 20:11-15). It is the preliminary evidence of Nature that confronts mankind daily/nightly and is so designed as to draw all men and women to seek knowledge of God and find life in His Name, Jesus Christ-Yeshua.

God has so uniquely created and ordained Nature as testimony and evidence relevant to Himself that He has nullified mankind’s ability to define origin of matter or understand the supernatural Universe He has placed before us (Ecclesiastes 3:11). Origin of matter will, until the end of Time, remain a mystery to mankind as man is cognitively constrained by Time and The Curse; all that is visible and invisible to the human eye in Nature was established, created, by elements from the invisible Spiritual World; therefore, the genesis of our Creation will forever remain an enigma, a mystery, to the mind of man. Anyone seeking Truth, void a personal bias against the validity of our Creator, can easily apprehend and discern the supernatural design of creation mandating a supernatural Creator.

“By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.” Hebrews 11:3 (NASB)

“He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NASB)

2) The Incarnate, Living Word of God, Jesus Christ-Yeshua

There exists no greater or more popular historical figure than Jesus Christ-Yeshua. The Atheist who rejects the historicity of Jesus simply rejects the overwhelming evidence for His validity readily accessible-available in Biblical and extra-Biblical as well as non-Christian, archeological, sources.

Our Creator did not leave His Human creation to wonder or ponder about the one-true-God and His Plan and purposes for Time and Eternity, but God left the Spiritual Realm some 2019-years ago, He divided history, and entered the Realm of Time in the flesh through a virgin birth that was essential to establish Him as Messiah who would selflessly give Himself to save mankind from death in sin and death in Hell (Philippians 2:5-11; Matthew 1:23).

During the 33.5-years of His Earthly sojourn, Jesus fulfilled over 300-Messianic prophecies as articulated in the Covenant of Law extending from the Genesis to The Book of Malachi. The statistical chances of

In the Gospel of John, Chapter 14 v. 6, Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”

Anyone contemplating the Deity of Jesus Christ in light of the previous Scripture (John 14:6) must come to ONE of only three-conclusions concerning Jesus Christ. Jesus is either a…

1. liar.

2. lunatic.

3. Lord

Every human being born subsequent to 33-AD and having attained an age of reason with sufficient cognitive acuity to discern the moral law as written upon our heart by our Creator (Romans 2:15) will have to choose between these three-options seeing that their eternal destiny will depend solely upon which option they choose.

3) The written word of God, the Holy Bible

God the Father has not only provided Nature/the Universe and the Son, Jesus Christ-Yeshua as testimony of His validity, power, dominion, but God has also provided a written “Covenant of Grace” (Matthew 26:28) to His human creation through the Holy Spirit. God the Holy Spirit meticulously, supernaturally, moved through the inner-man of 40-men of antiquity, holy men set-apart specifically for the purpose of penning on parchment the Plan and purposes of our Creator; a journey of 1400-to-1600-years, three-continents, three-languages, explaining in detail our origin, our purpose and meaning, God’s moral law and God’s Plan for the destiny of Time and Eternity.

For those who scoff at the integrity of God’s written word and thereby call the Holy Spirit a liar, understand that the very same Creator who initiated visible matter from the unseen Spiritual World and used same to create this vast supernatural Universe and gave you the breath of life, this very same Creator is abundantly capable and qualified to provide you and provide me with the EXACT words He desires we have so that we can know Him, His Plan and purposes for Time and our individual lives. Irrespective of councils of men and theologians, critics, scholars, all of the efforts of men concerning advocating for or disparaging the Holy Scriptures, know that the Bible remains the best-selling Book in History and that God’s word will NEVER fade away (Matthew 24:35).

Conclusion

Our Creator has provided Human KIND with three-undeniable-forms of evidence relevant to His validity, reality, power, dominion, Deity…

1) Nature.

2) Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Living Word of God.

3) A written covenant, the Holy Scriptures.

Anyone who desires to know God intimately, personally, will find Him and enter into a relationship with Him if they will seek Him with their whole heart…He will be found by them (Jeremiah 29:11-13). God will NOT entertain or commune with a heart that does not truly desire to know Him but He is faithful to make His abode with anyone willing to come to Him in faith and believe that He is true.

“But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6 (NKJV)

IdeaoftheEndless
  • @IdeaoftheEndless ; Agnostics die in Hell just like the atheist...ultimately, there is no difference. If you reject Jesus Christ as your Lord to mediate your sin, you have no hope.

IdeaoftheEndless
  • @RickeyD So in other words
  • @IdeaoftheEndless So in other words, unless you humble yourself before God the Father and repent of your sins and sincerely trust-believe in Jesus Christ as your God and Mediator for your sin, you will die in sin and die in Hell. Science and physics cannot save you.

IdeaoftheEndless
  • @RickeyD
    Yah but Rickey dear, physics is the study of understanding the universe. If anything it would include your god conjecture if it were ever proved
  • edited October 17
    @RickeyD Look, just to clarify, your arguments are fallacious and you did not really perform well in the debate. You seem to have chosen to believe something blindly, but that is fallacious so please be better. Up the quality of debates. I mean it sincerely as constructive criticism and nothing more. From what I can tell you just fear and thus believe in god. Doesn't make it true. You typing down fallacious arguments over and over doesn't make your debate any better. 

• Your god may exist but I don't think an antropomorphised god is likely
  • @IdeaoftheEndless ; You are dead spiritually and you knowing nothing concerning what I know about my Lord and His reality in my life for the previous 28+years. You are existing in a lie and you are headed to death in Hell because you have rejected the suffering and death of the Son, Jesus Christ; fact is, Jesus as your Lord is the ONLY Way to find righteousness with God the Father through the forgiveness of sin. Jesus has told you this and you'll have to make your own decision concerning your eternity; is Jesus a liar, a lunatic or is Jesus Lord and exactly who He has said He is? These are you only options.

IdeaoftheEndless
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1037 Pts
    I was taught that the respectful way to dispose of a tattered flag was to burn it .... with a respectful ceremony. If it's good enough for our flag it's certainly good enough for a book of mythology. Of course, you COULD nail it to a cross until it was in bad shape and then put it in a cave and let insects and rodents or ne're-do-wells take care of it. That way you'll, likely, never know what happened to it. But, I guess it's a matter of opinion.

• @IdeaoftheEndless
    Nothing wrong except the pollution it may cause but then again when huge tons of smoke is released every single day by factories what difference would one book being burned make?

Quite a ridiculously illogical argument really. You are showing extreme bias by reducing one side of the argument to a single unit but not the other.
    An estimated 100 million Bibles are printed each year. That's one hell of a lot of forestry, transporting, processing and burning.
    IdeaoftheEndlessAlofRI
  • edited October 18
    @Swolliw
    We were discussing a person who wants to burn a single bible, so your argument is irrelevant and my argument is reasonable for the given discussion. Yah I agree if all bibles were burnt it would make sufficient pollution, but I was clearly arguing for just one person. My argument is of the form Reductio ad absurdum. It is neither illogical nor biased. Research it. Nothing wrong with it. I said if it makes the person feel good and the individual really wants to do it they can. Do you think everyone wants to do it? You're the one who is being fallacious by saying our discussion would suddenly expand to everyone owning a bible. That is highly improbable. Thus you're not really arguing against me, so your post was either irrelevant or fallacious, either way you're being ridiculous.

To make it clear in this hypothetical situation we are discussing is the set of people who want to burn their bible who are a very tiny subset of the people who own a bible. So hope you understand me now, you probably just misunderstood the situation from what I can tell. Happens, chill out.

Research reductio ad absurdum, that was my argument's basis. It is perfectly logical. 
  • Fallacious as always and as I keep trying to explain to you that I think logically speaking, cynicism is a wiser choice than possibly borderline delusional belief in random stuff. You should always only believe the bare minimum to make a good argument. Lesser the assumptions, better the argument. Cheers. @RickeyD
  • edited October 18

That about sums up what I'm trying to say to you ;)
    You need to be careful and a little bit more cynical.  @RickeyD I honestly don't particularly like the way you are forcing your personal views on me and have half the mind to report you but I thought it should be a source of amusement to me instead of causing you any trouble. Hope you understand me.
  • @IdeaoftheEndless
    We were discussing a person who wants to burn a single bible

No, you were. But you are right, and point taken.
    You will notice that my threads tend to lean on being slightly sensationalist but at least I always aim to keep my tongue in my cheek.
    IdeaoftheEndless
  • edited October 18
    Glad you got the point. To your benefit I have to say many people don't like reductio ad absurdum but the thing is logical arguments that may seem wrong to people aren't always wrong. To me absurdum always gives entertaining results. I enjoy using it but most people dislike it for some reason or think there is something wrong. Can't say why but I guess human sentiments are not always a 100 % logical. Cool that you understood the argument, I respect that. I understand now that you were just trolling, coolios.  Cheers;)@Swolliw
  • Fun debate. Cheers to everyone. 
  • @IdeaoftheEndless ; There is no arguing with one who serves Satan (John 8:44); unless God places the atheist on their back, chances are, they'll never look up. You have destined yourself to die in Hell and you think yourself wise and intelligent but you have been duped in naivete and naturalism. This is your own doing and you'll have no one to blame but yourself at the Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15).

AlofRI
  • @IdeaoftheEndless
     I understand now that you were just trolling

There are users who go into this forum to preach about God by making absurd, unjustified and unproven claims. There are also those who raise the issue of being saved by making deliberate provocations using fear and doom and gloom. Their sole intent is to blow their own self-righteous trumpet and taunt others for not being like them. These people are trolls.

What I do is fight fire with fire by exposing the gratuitous lies, bigotry, intolerance and anti-social behaviour of these trolls with the intent of contributing to making our society that much better place which is not trolling in itself.
    One could very well say, "Well they could say the same as you about their intentions". The problem with that reasoning is that their "intentions" are erroneous, scare-mongering and outright evil.
    Plaffelvohfen
  • Well, to burn one is a waste of toilet paper really... 
    Happy_KillbotIdeaoftheEndless
    " Adversus absurdum, contumaciter ac ridens! "
  • @Swolliw
    Sure thing. Cool choice of fire with fire :D considering what we're discussing here. Noice.