Politics are preventing humanity from progressing as quickly as it could be. - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is a globally leading online debate platform that is transforming the online debating experience. DebateIsland enables anyone to civilly debate online, casually or formally, with five fun debating formats: Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas. With DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use, online debate website, users can debate politics, debate science, debate technology, debate news, and just about anything else in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free while improving your debating skills with the help of Artifical Intelligence on DebateIsland.

Communities

DebateIsland.com is the best online debate website. We're the only online debate website with Casual, "Persuade Me," Formalish, Traditional Formal, and Lincoln-Douglas online debate formats. Using DebateIsland's beautiful, mobile-friendly, and easy-to-use online debate website, you can debate politics, debate popular topics, debate news, or debate anything in a large community of debaters. Debate online for free using DebateIsland, a globally leading online debate website that is utilizing Artificial Intelligence to transform online debating.

Politics are preventing humanity from progressing as quickly as it could be.

Debate Information

I've noticed we spend more time trying to convince randos on the interwebs that we're right. So much so that it's become part of how we raise our children, write entertainment, and view the news.
Why can't we just stop arguing over crap like gay people, and women's rights, and trans rights, and did trump win the election. Why cant we just focus on the progression and betterment of humanity?
Debater123Thor

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• DeeDee 3308 Pts   -   edited January 5
     Why cant we just focus on the progression and betterment of humanity?

But ideas about “progression “ and “betterment “ differ with the various agents pushing them 

Plaffelvohfen
  • Cringe_TrainCringe_Train 155 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Why didn't I think about that?

It is still strange how so many people are opposed to change, even change that won't affect us in the long run. But yet ignore the things they do currently that are harmful to humanity, such as polution.
  • DeeDee 3308 Pts   -   edited January 5
    @Cringe_Train

People differ it’s the way of the world , great evils are done by people thinking that they are doing great goods 
    Plaffelvohfen
  • Debater123Debater123 272 Pts   -  
    @Dee "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." - Winston Churchil
  • debateladydebatelady 19 Pts   -  
    People always focus on benefit, we don't care about nature and other environments. I suppose betterment is not related to benefit. We live in a money-oriented world. Sometimes betterment afraid of an old business group like a Japanese company. 
  • ThorThor 101 Pts   -  
    @Cringe_Train

Exactly! Actually as far as I saw the so called "rights" campaigns are only active when the election comes, I don't mean that women's right and gay rights etc is crap but I saw that it is used to gain votes in election, by left in USA and also by right to gain votes by Christians in USA.This has atlast evolved into pseudo--feminism etc..

The election of USA was not a fight between democrats and republicans, but it was a fight between two ideologies but it was pseudo fights active only for election times between atheist-Christians(left-right), BLM-All lives matter, vaccine-anti-vaccine etc 

Everything is planned for election, media houses are divided (zero equality).

Oh yes how can I forget "liberals".....I don't understand, do they like equality or they dislike the equality?

And yes for conservatives, racism is common, they find the black people exploiting white, everything is apart!

Politics is dirty!...I don't want to be concerned about it also.

Rather I would like to fight for equality( definitely not like liberals) but for true, BLM for true equality, gay rights for true equality if they are suffering, climate change etc

Politics play with the minds of millions daily, and we become fools giving them votes.So yes it is definitely preventing us from progressing.It is creating illusions, which many people dream of, rather I would like to say them, don't depend on this elections,left-right rather fight for yourself, if you are suffering you should fight,if you can't then why would anyone else would do that!

Peace
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 3466 Pts   -   edited January 10
    I have come to believe that this is because most people do not have a well developed imagination. In line with Hazlitt's thesis in "Economics in One Lesson", people see what is there now, but do not see what would be there had a different course of action been taken.

As a consequence, most people focus on rearranging and redistributing resources and achievements that have already been created, rather than creating new resources and achievements to reach new heights - as they cannot clearly see what those resources and achievements would be. People will argue over the size of nicotine tax in order to curb smoking, instead of letting the market keep its resources and naturally solve the problem of smoking over time by developing new technology.

Virtually all of politics is about how to take money away from people by force and do something with it that improves allocation of existing resources. This is a poor strategy in the long run, but this is the only strategy the governmental institution can pursue. Innovation does not occur in accordance with some central master plan; it, by definition, occurs spontaneously, as independent enterpreneurs try different ideas and find what works and what does not. And while it is possible for a government-controlled initiative to innovate in principle, such innovations tend to be extrenely cost-inefficient and impractical; the space race between the US and USSR is a good example, where two governments invested heavily into trying to be the first to do X, Y, Z, X, Y and Z being nothing but show stunts with few practical applications.

In order for technology and quality of life to progress as fast as possible, coercive organizations (government, mafia, rebel groups, etc) must stay away from the market, freeing up enterpreneurial people to experiment with new ideas. People should get comfortable with the idea of the market chaos, of the unpredictable environment in which nothing is controlled, nothing is expected - and that that is a good thing. That an idea or a technology can be developed tomorrow of which today nobody can even conceive.

People tend to be uncomfortable with uncertainty, however, even if this uncertainty constantly supplies them with amazing novelties. Thus people argue over things like whether healthcare should be nationalized, stuck in the scarcity paradigm where there is a limited amount of resources that must be allocated somehow, and everything else is secondary.
    Thor
  • Happy_KillbotHappy_Killbot 3849 Pts   -  
    @MayCaesar ;
    It is estimated that for every $1 spent on NASA as much as $7 were returned in the form of various economic developments from the technologies being used. This would make NASA the best investment that was ever made in recorded history. Like it or hate it, the truth is that most innovation does not come from private entrepreneurs, but from government investment into science.

Making science a private endeavor would inevitably compartmentalize knowledge and information, thus slowing development even further.
    ThorPlaffelvohfen
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,
    Stars formed, planets coalesced, and on at least one of them life took root.
    Through a long process of evolution this life 
    developed into the human race.
    Humans conquered fire, built complex societies and advanced technology .

All of that so we can argue about nothing.
  • ThorThor 101 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot

Then what is your opinion about the misuse of science and technology by government in wars with other countries, thus leading it to retard developments in right direction eg:-USSR-USA ?

Peace
    @Thor ;
    Then what is your opinion about the misuse of science and technology by government in wars with other countries, thus leading it to retard developments in right direction eg:-USSR-USA ?
    Explain to me how any of that retarded development in the right direction? People were misusing technology when it consisted exclusively of sticks and rocks.

Science and technology is the right direction IMHO.
    At some point in the distant past, the universe went through a phase of cosmic inflation,

• ThorThor 101 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot

I didn’t said it is retarded development I said it can retard the development, as when the space agencies are controlled by the governments, it is used in arbitrary space wars like USSR-USA, thus slowing the development in the field of space, as then the agencies work in behalf of winning rather collaborating.And I am not saying this is the present situation, but it did happen in past, and it is quite probable in future too.

So as you said making science a private endeavour would slow down the developments, so what if NASA was private organisation?

I think the funds are easily available if organisation is controlled by government though space x is proving it wrong.

Peace
    @Thor ;
    I didn’t said it is retarded development I said it can retard the development, as when the space agencies are controlled by the governments, it is used in arbitrary space wars like USSR-USA, thus slowing the development in the field of space, as then the agencies work in behalf of winning rather collaborating.And I am not saying this is the present situation, but it did happen in past, and it is quite probable in future too.
    That's exactly the opposite of what actually happened. The space race fueled serious scientific and economic development that just happens to be one of the best investments in history, with an estimated return of $7 for every $1 spent on NASA and other government programs.

• ThorThor 101 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot

It did happened during the USA-USSR war, though everything has pros and cons associated with it, and much funds was used just for winning in space war.The space research is best, and one of the most important area of study for humanity.And if it gave more than what was invested then it is good, but it is not a important point as NASA was not formed for making profits, it was made for developments
    So as you said making science a private endeavor would slow down the developments, so what if NASA was private organisation?

I think the funds are easily available if organisation is controlled by government though space x is proving it wrong?
    Oh it seems you forgot to address above given arguments.

Peace
    @Thor ;
    Oh it seems you forgot to address above given arguments.
    I think both of those can be retroactively answered based on my previous statements which you have acknowledged.

Privatization of NASA would slow development and these companies are not funded by the government (because they are privatized)

• ThorThor 101 Pts   -  
    @Happy_Killbot

I think both of those can be retroactively answered based on my previous statements which you have acknowledged...
    No,it cannot be answered from your answers which I acknowledged, as you had only gave information on the returns which is not a important point neither it is the answer for the particular.

Privatization of NASA would slow development and these companies are not funded by the government (because they are privatized)...
    Yes,how it would slow development?...And ik spaceX is not funded by government, so I stated it because till now government was only able to handle space organizations as it need large funds, though spaceX is proving it wrong.

Peace
  • janesixjanesix 105 Pts   -  
    @Cringe_Train

People/society have to agree what progress is first. We aren't even close.