Why do people have lust, greed and selfishness? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

DebateIsland Referral Program: Get a Free Month of DebateIsland Diamond Premium Membership ($4.99 Value) Per Each New User That You Refer!

Why do people have lust, greed and selfishness?

Debate Information

I want to know, what you feel, or ask yourself-  :)
Peace 

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Arguments

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• ThorThor 193 Pts   -   edited March 27
    @Thor

Idk but Lust maybe, as from my observation.
    Peace 
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 569 Pts   -   edited March 27
    It is true, i agree, that males compete for breeding rights. That is natural behaviour.

But outside of that, the basis for almost all internal conflict is either politics or religion. It isn't necessarily always visible at the surface level, but you can usually trace everything back to one of these two factors as a first cause. 

If you want to break it down further, then these conflicts always arise because both sides believe they are in the right. Hence, to answer your question, I would have to argue that humanity is fighting the subjectivity of its own experience.
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature

It is true, i agree, that males compete for breeding rights. That is natural behaviour...

You had misinterpreted lust with natural behaviour. Males do compete for breeding rights, not only humans do that but lions, aquatic animals etc show their power, or supremacy to have sex with female, so this was not I am talking about, Lust is a different thing, urge for sex, why many humans today are so obsessed with sex, despite we are the one of the most intelligent ones, so lust is the one of the main point with which humanity is fighting.

But outside of that, the basis for almost all internal conflict is either politics or religion. It isn't necessarily always visible at the surface level, but you can usually trace everything back to one of these two factors as a first cause...

I don’t agree that religion is a base of most conflicts. And politics is not either, with which whole of “humanity” is fighting with itself. Specifically the problem starts when one group of people, wants to impose their views upon other, For eg:- Aurangzeb took out the nails of the king, and tortured him for not accepting Muslim religion.

Second example is of Britishers, who did tried to impose their views upon Indians in their colonial rule, as one of them was to use the weapon which was made from cow, so the people resisted and protested against it, so the reason here was not that the people were protesting for their religion, but for they should be free to do whatever they want. Religion was never meant for imposing anything, it was meant for peace, but people have turned down their meaning upside down.

I oppose the people who say that most of the conflicts happened due to religion, religion is not a factor, but their imposing views was a factor, if one says that my way of seeing the world is better than yours, and if you say same to them, then it is obvious that you would fight. Here you both should respect each other’s perspectives.

And politics is not either a cause, for eg:- Trump did polarised people and so did Biden, and thus the people who matched their views with either party, voted them, so here too politics is not a cause of fights, but the “views” perspective is fighting. 

It is mere game of perspectives. Here you can say that ego is playing a huge role. But not politics or religion. My perspective = your perspective.
    Peace 
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature

Anyway you had misinterpreted my question as why do humans fight, this was not my question, my question is why do humans fight with itself, like fight can be replaced, as why do humans have greed, lust etc within themselves, which causes themselves to lose much and also harms others?
    Peace 
  • JGXdebatePROJGXdebatePRO 357 Pts   -  
    If you are interested in this matter, I would suggest looking into the videogame series mass effect, as it deals with this exact problem. This is a tough one to crack, but I would say that this is based on a primal instinct, the one of survival. To survive, you need resources and space. You can get these relatively easily by trampling upon other people to obtain them. I am not a supporter of the psychological egoism theory, but people will choose survival over intangible benefits of many issues in favor of survival, and this is a main reason conflict still occurs.
    Thor
    "A defense with no holes doesn't exist" - Wakatoshi Ushijima
  • Keal192NXQ2Keal192NXQ2 240 Pts   -  
    @JGXdebatePRO Selfishness can sometimes lead to benefits. Helping another person to indirectly gain for yourself still benefits both parties. 
  • xlJ_dolphin_473xlJ_dolphin_473 1385 Pts   -  
    @JGXdebatePRO
    Absolutely agree. To assume that humans live in some utopia where we all have common goals and want to collaborate to achieve them is to deny the reality of human behaviour and psychology. Humans live in a finite world with finite resources, and so people can increase their personal utility (value they get) at the detriment of others. For this reason, conflict occurs. Many attempts have taken place throughout history to unify humanity under an umbrella of peace, but none have succeeded. The United Nations is probably the most successful so far in this regard, but even this is controversial, as Indonesia has already withdrawn, and some groups in the US seek to do the same. I sincerely hope that humans will one day be able to coexist in peace, but at least for now, it seems that world is a long way off.
  • JGXdebatePROJGXdebatePRO 357 Pts   -  
    @JGXdebatePRO Selfishness can sometimes lead to benefits. Helping another person to indirectly gain for yourself still benefits both parties. 
    @Keal192NXQ2

I completely agree, but because of the fundamental need for survival, there will always be conflict, no matter how small.
    "A defense with no holes doesn't exist" - Wakatoshi Ushijima
  • Keal192NXQ2Keal192NXQ2 240 Pts   -  
    @JGXdebatePRO I agree.
  • NomenclatureNomenclature 569 Pts   -  
    @Thor

You had misinterpreted lust with natural behaviour.

Wait a minute. You think lust is not natural behaviour? It's the basis of biological reproduction.

Anyway you had misinterpreted my question as why do humans fight, this was not my question

I absolutely hate it when people do this.

Look, you are the writer. It is your job to communicate your ideas so that other people can understand them. The wording of your question was so ambiguous that you are lucky I answered you at all.

Dee
  • DeeDee 3865 Pts   -  
    @Thor

why do humans have greed,

How do you define greed where do you draw the line? 

lust etc within themselves, which causes themselves to lose much and also harms others?

Lust is wonderful , you see a sexy little minx strutting down the street what’s wrong with lust ? Don’t tell me you don’t lust after that which you desire ? Do you polish your halo every evening after another day of not lusting?
    NomenclatureThor
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature

Wait a minute. You think lust is not natural behaviour? It's the basis of biological reproduction...

It is not, Lust is not a natural behaviour, and sex is base to continue humanity not lust. People are obsessed with sex, but as a human we are not only meant to do sex. Lust causes problems in relationships, as man or woman would look for lust not love, if they are lusty, lust is the obvious factor with which people are struggling. 

Look, you are the writer. It is your job to communicate your ideas so that other people can understand them. The wording of your question was so ambiguous that you are lucky I answered you at all...

Oh thanks a lot for answering. But second part was irrelevant though I have responded it, you can continue it.
    Peace 
    @Dee

Well, I would ignore you all time, because I do know already that what would you say at end when you lose.
    Peace 
  • DeeDee 3865 Pts   -   edited March 27
    @Thor

Well, I would ignore you all time, because you are very rude, sorry.

Translation: your feelings are hurt because you dare criticise others for lusting and place yourself on a pedestal as a “holier than thou “ individual , there was nothing rude in my response you snowflake if your going to act Mr Super Moral and be so smug as to pass  judgement on others theres going to be kick back 
    ThorNomenclature
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Dee

I didn’t said that I am holy person lol, whatever, I am not Mr.super moral, this was not for this one, I said that for your most of the responses.
    Peace 
  • maxxmaxx 557 Pts   -  
    It is  inherent in all animals.  we are born with all three, lust, is nothing more than part of sexual behavior, greed and selfishness are basically the same thing and we are born with it for the survival of the individual comes first in nature@Thor
    Dee
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @maxx

I was not talking about animals, neither we are born with lust greed and selfishness. 
    Peace 
  • DeeDee 3865 Pts   -  
    @Thor

I didn’t said that I am holy person lol, whatever, I am not Mr.super moral, this was not for this one,

Right ...... read below .....

Lust is not a natural behaviour, and sex is base to continue humanity not lust

There you are with your finger wagging moralising saying what’s natural is unnatural 

I said that for your most of the responses

What are you trying to say, your English is dreadful 
    Nomenclature
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Your response is irrelevant, and yes lust is not natural, thank you for your time pni.
    Peace 
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    Haha materialism has affected people so badly that people now say lust is natural wow.
    TrueLove
    Peace 
    @Thor

Your response is irrelevant,

Of course it is you only want people to agree with you so they can praise you for being “holier than thou “

and yes lust is not natural

Tell your sister to don  six inch heels , a mini skirt and pick up my dropped pen and you will soon see how natural it comes to me and her ( no doubt)  as I cut quiet the dash if I do say so myself 

, thank you for your time 

My pleasure old boy 
  • DeeDee 3865 Pts   -  
    @Thor

Haha materialism has affected people so badly that people now say lust is natural wow

Don’t forget to give your halo a jolly good polishing tonight , I’m about to start boozing , carousing and raising me some Hell yeeeee haaaaaaa
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Tell your sister to don  six inch heels , a mini skirt and pick up my dropped pen and you will soon see how natural it comes to me and her ( no doubt)  as I cut quiet the dash if I do say so myself...

Ofc do that with your sister. Have a good time.
    Peace 
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Nomenclature

ahh ran away, or waiting for daddy to complete?
    Peace 
    @Thor

Ofc do that with your sister.

Already have , so has everyone else ......so when’s your sister free I might give here a lash if she’s takes my eye 

Have a good time.

That’s the idea St Thor will you mind my halo while I give your sister a “work out “ ?

@Dee

Oh sorry, you can have it with your sister again.
    Peace 
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Dee

Well, idk why I keep talking with the people who are like you, I would now always ignore you lol, waste of time.
    Peace 
  • DeeDee 3865 Pts   -  
    @Thor

Oh sorry, you can have it with your sister again.

Wow! You’re sulking now because you want everyone to agree with you .....sad 
    @Thor

Well, idk why I keep talking with the people who are like you, I would now always ignore you lol, waste of time

Just post up on all your debates in future .....Participants must agree with my “holier than thou “ opinions or I promise to sulk LOL
  • maxxmaxx 557 Pts   -  
    actually we are born with the tendency to be greedy; anyone can see that in all young children; they take what they want, want more, and  would rather keep it all than share.  children have to be taught otherwise.@Thor
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -   edited March 28
    @maxx

Why is that, I don’t think we are born with greed, it is actually because of some factors around the baby, like babies are given everything to not share like breastfeeding, are not given to share, and also babies are given what they want for eg:- If they would cry, means they are hungry, in most of the cases, and thus they would get what they want, so it is true that they develop greedy and selfish behaviour, I don’t think humans are born with that. 
    Peace 
  • maxxmaxx 557 Pts   -  
    It seems that your contention that children are greedy because we care and nurture them, and that adults teach them to be greedy by being greedy their selves.  First you should take a good look at children between ages 6 months and 2 years. They start out by instinctivly taking what they want, mainly to see if it is edible. as they grow and especially around other children; by the time they are two, they want more than they need rather than give it away, and they have to be "taught" to share with others.    Social Basis of Human Behavior: Greed (wsu.edu)@Thor
    @maxx

adults teach them to be greedy by being greedy their selves...
    So you mean every human is greedy, ryt? Btw I didn’t meant that. 

First you should take a good look at children between ages 6 months and 2 years...
    I did said above, with their feeding, and that was the observational reasoning, that is what you are demanding from me.

They start out by instinctivly taking what they want, mainly to see if it is edible. as they grow and especially around other children...
    Yes they do, want to eat whatever they get or examine if that is edible or not, because as soon as they are born, they are feed whenever they wanted, and they get their food by sucking, thus they are habitual with that.

by the time they are two, they want more than they need rather than give it away, and they have to be "taught" to share with others...
    I am not talking about sharing, sharing is irrelevant in the discussion of greed, ofc they have to be taught to share, they want more because from their very childhood they had never shared anything and they had always got “sufficient” food from their mother, so ofc they will demand more from anything because from childhood they cry and get their hunger satisfied. Actually babies are compensating this sufficient.So you can’t still prove that babies are “born” greedy. We are social animals, and so this is also a result of it. 

And here is the concluding line from your link:-
    Society is the driving force behind much of human behavior.

Peace 
  • exconexcon 67 Pts   -  

Why do people have lust, greed and selfishness?

Hello Thor:

Cause they're GOOD for us, mostly..  I'll bet you agree..  All we gotta do is look at those words a little differently.

Let's take lust..  It's simply the need to procreate, and we need that need.  Besides, it's fun.

Let's take greed..  It's simply self interest..  It has nothing to do with taking anything away from anybody..  It's simply an interest in yourself, which is something we need.

So, that brings us to selfishness.  Truly, I dunno WHY people don't wanna share..  There IS enough to go around..

excon
  • maxxmaxx 557 Pts   -  
    society is nothing more than people. People are genetically inclined. What we call greed is a trait(although many will incur that it is not a good trait but it can be useful)  and traits are passed on genetically from one generation to the next.  Humans have been since the dawn of life, been genetically  passing this trait on through individuals.   @Thor
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1361 Pts   -  
    Nothing wrong with a little lust ... well directed ... it's the other stuff we need to get rid of.  >:)
    excon
  • maxxmaxx 557 Pts   -  
    actually, the main definition of lust is not just carnal, lust means desire for anything; it is an offshoot of envy. @AlofRI
    @excon

Hey,
    Excon

It is a good argument. I don’t agree that we need lust to continue our procreation. And the main reason is, due to that people forget the meaning of love, Lust is fun no doubt, masturbation is consider good, but as said anything in excess (lust) is harmful. Today no doubt we are living in the world where many people understand the language of lust and not love, and that’s where the problem is. I consider lust as the emotional incontrol of humanity, due to which they do suffer many times, by committing either rapes or unwanted pregnancies, or sleeping with a person who is hungry for lust. I mostly think humorously that when people masturbate they are giving themselves a shot of chemicals in their brain, so here emotions is controlling you, you aren’t controlling them, and that’s where the whole problem starts.Greed is not self interest, due to it today deforestation, imbalance in ecosystem etc has occurred.yeah we should share, it would make one more happy.

Peace 
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @AlofRI

ofc little lust is okay, to be naughty romantic etc is okay but when they (emotions) start controlling you, then problem starts.
    Peace 
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    Thor said:
    @maxx

First you should take a good look at children between ages 6 months and 2 years...
    I did said above, with their feeding, and that was the observational reasoning, that is what you are demanding from me.

They start out by instinctivly taking what they want, mainly to see if it is edible. as they grow and especially around other children...
    Yes they do, want to eat whatever they get or examine if that is edible or not, because as soon as they are born, they are feed whenever they wanted, and they get their food by sucking, thus they are habitual with that.

by the time they are two, they want more than they need rather than give it away, and they have to be "taught" to share with others...
    I am not talking about sharing, sharing is irrelevant in the discussion of greed, ofc they have to be taught to share, they want more because from their very childhood they had never shared anything and they had always got “sufficient” food from their mother, so ofc they will demand more from anything because from childhood they cry and get their hunger satisfied. Actually babies are compensating this sufficient.So you can’t still prove that babies are “born” greedy. We are social animals, and so this is also a result of it. 

@maxx

I don’t think it is true. Actually I want you to address my previous argument properly and read it again.

Peace 
  • maxxmaxx 557 Pts   -  
    first all traits are genetic and are passed on from generation to generation.  however; let us return to the point(s) that I digressed upon. Please ask the question that I failed to answer once again or the part of the argument that I missed
    @Thor
    Thor
  • @Thor
    I would say it may be tied to the idea we as people die alone, whereas if lucky we may be with the people we love when we pass away the majority of us die individually
    Thor
  • AlofRIAlofRI 1361 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    actually, the main definition of lust is not just carnal, lust means desire for anything; it is an offshoot of envy. @AlofRI
    And what Thor said .... I think you younger guys make life too complicated at times. I'll take a little lust when I can get it.  :p
    Thor
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    Thor said:
    @maxx

@maxx

You are simply hammering, I did gave you detailed response, I am looking for discussion upon that, or what do you think about it?
    Peace 
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @John_C_87

Yes it is a fact, that we are born empty handed and also die empty handed, we have to born and go alone. 
    Peace 
  • maxxmaxx 557 Pts   -  
    I have answered your debate topic. In return you only said that you do not believe it is true, without any reasoning.  Read your topic again.  my answer is greed is a trait and traits are inherited. Greed is part of human nature.  It began in the lower animals and evolved into humans as humans evolved.  @Thor
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -   edited March 29
    @maxx

You did answer my debate question, but without any explanation, at first you said that we are born with lust, greed and selfishness, then you said we are born with greed, you can see it in every baby, then I did interpret that why it does happen, and that is the argument I am asking you to see or respond properly for that post, and in last post too you said greed is a part of human nature, greed is inherited, but why? Did you even explain it?...Greed is a result of social factors around the baby during its childhood.We are social animal.
    Peace 
  • Debater123Debater123 500 Pts   -  
    @Thor I suppose the reason for all that is personal survival and success, greed and selfishness tends to make you personally live far better lives than without it, it is the drive for personal achievement, success, and wealth.

While lust is very simply meant for you to produce, lust is the drive for sex and therefore the drive for reproduction, the point of this is rather straightforward, lust makes you want to have babies, and having babies is good for you and all of mankind.
  • maxxmaxx 557 Pts   -  
    well, we may be ta;lking at cross purpose again for I know that you understand that traits are genetically encoded and passed on from generation to generation and has been doing so since the dawn of human history. So I can only assume you are asking about the psychological aspect of greed. We are thus greedy as a competition    type of thing.  The more one has, the better off he is seen by his peers; as well it probably (in having more than other people) make one more attractive to the opposite gender.@Thor
  • ThorThor 193 Pts   -  
    @Debater123

Well, I would not say that you are completely wrong, I think yes greed can led to achieve humans more, this is a positive aspect, but it has many other disadvantages over it, like greed has led us humans to cause the problem of deforestation, because people simply don’t care for nature, in achieving more and more human often forgets that he has started running in a horse race, full of people like him lol.

Haha I wonder our ancestors didn’t need to watch porn to reproduce atleast, actually lust is not a problem, when things get over, then there the  problem is, my point is that people should know how to control their emotions. In today’s time, love is replaced by lust.
    Debater123
    Peace