A lot of propagandized right-wing pundits seem to think so because some right-wing media host told them, but does that actually hold up to critical rigor?
Not only is this superficially bizarre, but it is in fact quite the opposite.
First off, ANTIFA literally means "Anti-fascist", this alone should be enough to drive a mortal stake through anyone who wishes to equivocate fascism and ANTIFA.
But maybe, just maybe, they have other similarities.
First, what is fascism?
Fascism is a far right-wing political ideology which adheres to strict hierarchy, collectivism based on a capitalist economy, dictatorial control which uses the state as a weapon to violently suppress opposition, and strict government controls.
What is ANTIFA?
ANTIFA is a decentralized ideological movement which opposes authoritarian control and fascist takeover of government which uses protest, violence, and activism to prevent this end.
So, in what ways are the similar?
-Use of violence to silence opposition
-color scheme (black & red)
How are they dissimilar?
- Fascism is strictly organized and hierarchical, ANTIFA isn't even classified as an organization by the FBI.https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-race-and-ethnicity-archive-bdd3b6078e9efadcfcd0be4b65f2362e
- Fascism often leads to racism, either explicit or implicit while ANTIFA adopts anyone regardless of race or ethnicity.
- ANTIFA is not coupled with a specific economic movement, where Fascism is.
- ANTIFA is decentralized with no single political organizer, where Fascism specifically adopts one.
- Fascism is authoritarian, where ANTIFA is very much opposed to authority.
- ANTIFA does not intend to out live it's targets as it is simply opposing their existence as a reaction, while Fascism seeks to go on for as long as possible.
- Fascism has killed millions of people, ANTIFA has never killed a single person.
Based on all this, the right is simply making a boogeyman out of ANTIFA because they threaten their status, and to unify the right against a group that quite frankly, isn't that big a deal when compared to actual Fascist who openly seek to kill people and establish a militant police state.