frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Can Theists Get Out of It?

Debate Information

And, no, I'm not referring to substance abuse (this time). I'm talking here about the penchant I see amongst theists to state, "Oh, we're different than other denominations" or, "I speak as an individual and don't necessarily go with what our Church says"....... in particular, when it comes to the bigotry and prejudices that Churches are notorious for inciting and harboring.

Specifically, (like that word, Elpers?) specifically here, I am raising the issue of "guilt by association". And, hey, I know the "G" word does tend to lift the hairs on the backs of most theists, but we are dealing with a pertinent societal (like the au moderne adjective there?) issue so it's worth unpacking it and peeling back the layers to see where the onion skins fall.

For example, as we all (should) know, the Ku Klux Klan is an American white supremacist terrorist hate group well known for its (yes Maxx, "its") ugly bigotry towards minority groups. If you were to see me walking down your local high street wearing a white, hooded gown and carrying a burning cross, it would be reasonable for you to label me as being a hateful, ignorant, arrogant bigot. If I were then to counter with the (lame) argument of, "Oh look, I'm not like the rest of them and I don't agree with their policies, I'm just a member because I like the comradery and the beer is cheap and, oh, is that the time?.....he, he", it won't exactly make the cut in the credibility stakes, would it?

So, given that, for example most Churches, especially the Catholic Churches are homophobic (yes, they are) and, given that you are a member of one of said institutions, would it not be fair and reasonable for you to be labelled as being homophobic and, or bigoted? 
In other words, would you not be "guilty by association"?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments