frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Are Religious People Offensive?

Debate Information

Offensive: [əˈfɛnsɪv] ADJECTIVE causing someone to feel resentful, upset, or annoyed

We are quite accustomed (or, should be) to people saying that they are offended by the slightest criticism aimed at religion. For example, just in this forum we find the following post, and I won't mention Blastcar's name....."You call " just about all " Christians hypocrites. Many Christians will be offended by your insult".
Precisely, what the?......Yes, tres petty indeed. So, my argument is that it is actually theists who are offensive and I must qualify here that I am talking about real acts that actively offend others. Also, by the very nature of belonging to an institution, all religious followers should be classified as being in the same boat.

* Religions have an unenviable history of prejudice, bigotry and hatred towards minority groups. It would be fair to label such attitudes as offensive.
    * Religions are elitist in that they place themselves above all others as being special and will reap the rewards of affluence after death whilst the lower heathens will suffer in Hell. Not only is such an assertion offensive but totally ludicrous as well.
    * Religions have traditionally recruited members from those in society who are weak and vulnerable.
    * Religions have a long history of covering up abuse and harboring phobias amongst their flocks.
So, here we have plenty of reason to properly and realistically point the finger in the direction of religious folk when it becomes to being inherently offensive towards normal, decent, civilised society.

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments