When it comes to comedy, what crosses the line? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally by activity where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

When it comes to comedy, what crosses the line?

Debate Information

As we all are very aware of at this point (literally everyone and their grandma knows about this) about the whole Dave Chappelle controversy. (I'm surprised no one made a debate about it until now lol).

We all know, how, in Dave Chappelle's "The Closer", he says he's "Team TERF" (trans-exclusionary radical feminist), and we all know the backlash of said joke. In my humble opinion, say what you want, I do not care, but you'll have to deal with the consequences of what you say. Take this as an example, say you're a big patriot, you would die 7 1/2 times for your country, and somebody jokes about 9/11. You would be mad, wouldn't you? You don't joke about controversial things, because there's sure to be a backlash against you, like what's going on with Chappelle. I reiterate before someone says I support the anti-Chappelle movement, I do not care for what a comedian says, but you have to deal with the consequences and subsequent backlash from others.
"I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
11%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 4153 Pts   -   edited November 23
    I think that, in the context of comedy, everything goes. Comedy, by definition, is not to be taken seriously, and if that is the case, then nothing is prohibited, nothing is immoral. In fact, the more "inappropriate" your jokes are, the better: the best things to joke about are exactly the things that most people cannot take a joke about, as that is a sign that they take them far too seriously and some balancing up is in order.

Of course you have to deal with the consequences of your actions. I would, however, rather live in a world where the consequences for comedians are negligible, as the crowd understands what is comedy. If someone gets upset over a comedy, a reasonable society should put them in their place and not let them lead it on to the path of public outrage.

Imagine the most extreme case: my son died, and someone made a joke about it. You know what? If I am still at the stage of grief, I should not be watching comedy - I should grief. And if I have grieved enough and truly gotten over it, then I have no reason to be upset. People die, even your most loved ones. Being offended at the truth and, in a weird sense, hilarity of it equals being disconnected from reality.
    So yes, people, please joke about the most sensitive things for me. Joke about my biggest insecurities, my dearest friends and family members, my most sacred beliefs! Humor is what makes the world go around.
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    Say what you want if the comedy is good I care not , I heard Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle tell hilarious jokes about handicapped people and 9/11 some audience members booed and he told them to “go and f-uck off  you know the stuff I do and you boo you st-upid c-unts” 

Comedians find laughs everywhere and the ones I like talk about all the things people believe taboo and they make a mockery of our sometimes Victorian type reactions to these topics ,long may it continue 

Who sets the limit for where this “line” gets drawn?
  • Luigi7255Luigi7255 440 Pts   -   edited November 23
    @Dee

Note, I'm not taking an opposing view here, just asking a question.

"Comedians find laughs everywhere and the ones I like talk about all the things people believe taboo and they make a mockery of our sometimes Victorian type reactions to these topics ,long may it continue"

One topic I see a lot when it comes to these is suicide. I, personally, don't think it should be joked about, but I won't care if a comedian says it. Suicide jokes can trivialize what is a hard experience and can make someone suicidal more prone to suicide, as I can confirm. What about that topic?

"Who sets the limit for where this 'line' gets drawn?"

It'd be the people who watch someone's content. It's like a business, you want to keep your customers loyal, so you cater to them to keep them in your company.
    "I will never change who I am just because you do not approve."
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -  
    @Luigi7255

One topic I see a lot when it comes to these is suicide. I, personally, don't think it should be joked about, but I won't care if a comedian says it. Suicide jokes can trivialize what is a hard experience and can make someone suicidal more prone to suicide, as I can confirm.

A comedian cannot know the history of his audience and it cannot be his fault if someone takes offence at a suicide joke 

It'd be the people who watch someone's content. It's like a business, you want to keep your customers loyal, so you cater to them to keep them in your company.

People should research a comedian before watching him I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t , I don’t believe in these lines that one may not cross in this case 
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1297 Pts   -   edited November 24
    @Luigi7255
    Anyone has to be joking (nice pun) if they think that Chappelle comes anywhere near close to crossing any line when it comes to gender comedy. Compared with Jimmy Carr, Chappelle looks like a pre-school, fairytale reader.
    " Q: How do you get a gay guy to **** a woman? A: ***t in her v****a". And that's just an audience warmer for Jimmy.
    Geeziz bleeding Kerrist, Americans need to get out a bit more.
  • DeeDee 4487 Pts   -   edited November 24
    I only read the rest of your topic just now as I addressed the main thrust of your argument 

I’d never heard of this comedian so looked him up …..

The Closer is littered with jokes targeting trans people and the LGBTQ community. 

In the special, Chappelle jokes about trans women and their genitalia and defends J.K. Rowling against critics who say she is transphobic and more.

A storm in a tea cup and of course some of the LGBTQ crowd are all upset , apparently there were workers on the Netflix site who staged a walkout like the childish clowns they are, who are they to dictate to Netflix what to allow and not allow , it’s none of their business they’re employed by Netflix and know they have no say in such decisions , you don’t like it resign 

No one forces anyone to watch this guy , you don’t like his act when working on the set resign 

I agree with S if Americans find this offensive it demonstrates how prudish they are 

The only person responsible for how you feel is you , you’re reacting and blaming another for how you feel that’s not rational

Swolliw
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4153 Pts   -  
    @Luigi7255

Anything one says can cause someone negative emotions, pushing the people who are already near the edge past it. This hardly means that it is healthy for everyone to walk on eggshells all the time, wondering who and how their words can cause to behave.

If someone is seriously considering suicide, they should not be watching comedy; they should be seeking help. OR they should be watching comedy in order to realize that life is not all that serious, and drastic measures like this are never warranted.
    A seller cannot be held responsible for people purchasing and misusing their product. If I sell you a knife and you cut your own throat with it, I am not responsible for it - you do. Similarly, if I make an offensive joke on a comedy show you paid to come and see, it offended you and you committed suicide as a result, it is on you, not on me.

There is a great golden rule which is much better than the Biblical golden rule: "You do not like it - do not use it". If you do not like a book, do not read it. If you do not like a movie, do not watch it. If you do not like the food, do not eat it. And if you do not like someone's jokes, do not listen to them. Nobody forces you to.
    Nobody owes you psychological comfort everywhere you go. When you come to a comedy show or turn it on on TV or Youtube, you are making an intentional choice to be there and consume the offered product. It is no one's fault but yours if you have chosen a wrong product. No product is supposed to please every potential customer. You cannot produce an apple that everyone will love, but you can produce an apple that some customers will love, and even if all other customers hate it, it is still a good product to have.