frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Why Are You a Theist?

Debate Information

I can understand why anyone would want to be a theist even despite the fact that we now know how life evolved (rather than created) and that all living things have no purpose.

I think that by far, the majority of those who call themselves theists do realise the facts and treat their faith as a cultural or social institution giving no more than lip service to all the God crap. 
Then there are those who "administer" religion, the preachers and, given that they will usually be highly educated, anyone who doesn't accept that these people are no more than atheists who live off the gullibility of others, would had to have come down in the last shower.

Of those who fervently believe that there is a God and that their particular religion idolises the right God, most I suspect are unfortunately coerced into believing through threats of physical violence (even death, in many cases) and through censorship of factual material. And, of these, I'm sure that many resent having to believe and secretly shun religion anyhow.

So, I suspect that, nowadays, there are very few people who actually believe in God of their own volition and we have to accept that there are always those of a superstitious nature who dwell on the fringes of society and who imagine that religion gives them some sort of credibility.

NotReally

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments