How Does One Know When One Is Deluded? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

How Does One Know When One Is Deluded?

Debate Information

Great question don't you think?
And of course, the irony is that anyone who suffers from delusions wouldn't know that they do so otherwise they would not suffer from delusions in the first place; unless they are very creative people such as artists who rely on living in Lala Land in order to get their creative juices flowing.

But, how about those who get sucked into the ugly vortex of religion who don't realise that their new-found elation about the meaning of life is no more than a farce and that they have to commit themselves to living a false, isolated life full of lies and deception in order to "keep the dream alive"

Well, worry no more because here is a simple fun test to find out exactly how deluded you really are. Just answer the questions and, at the end of the quiz check the answers to find out whether or not you should be pushing lawn-mowers upside down in a secluded estate.

Question 1: Do you believe there is a God?

Question 2: Do you really believe there is a God?

Question 3: Do you absolutely, without a doubt really believe that there is a God?

If you answered yes to question 1: That's fairly normal and you are maybe saying you are religion-curious for the heck of it or "just in case" there might be a God, in which case, you're only kidding yourself because, if there really is a God, he will be very p'd off over your two-way bet and will send you "straight down there" when you fall off the perch.

If you answered yes to question 2: We all know what it's like to lose loved ones, have family issues or even be teased at school or have suffered from bed-wetting well into puberty but you know that your delusions are no more than an escape and you will get over it in time.

If you answered yes to question 3: This is wasted text because nothing short of a full frontal lobotomy will ever convince you that you are profoundly deluded. Even though there are many highly-qualified mental-health professionals out there to help you we know that you will continue to self-medicate and talk to your imaginary friend. Apparently there is an increasing demand for good basket-weaving and number-plate stamping.  

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
44%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited April 28
    @Swolliw ; How do you know? Look at the fruit of their ideology. Atheism-secular humanism is the most profound state of "delusion" known to mankind and is the root of evil and Hell initiated by the devil. Jesus warned you but you disregard to your own self-destruction...

• dallased25dallased25 171 Pts   -  
    You know someone is deluded, when they behave like RickyD. Someone who judges others who they do not know and calls them "evil", even though they don't understand their beliefs or even what a word means and make no attempt at understanding. Someone who's beliefs do not conform to all the evidence of reality. Someone who makes "truth" claims about the world or life and cannot demonstrate them in any way shape or form. In other words, RickyD in a nutshell. RickyD is a perfect example of someone who is so utterly deluded as to be a danger to them self and if taken to far....others. His types of beliefs are dangerous. 
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited April 28
    @dallased25 ; You judge your self by what you advocate and approve of...I judge using a "righteous judgment"...You are representative of the unsustainable, the abortionist, the atheism, the Darwinism, the evil in our World...I seek my Lord's goodness and truth and honor and dignity...we are not only physical enemies but spiritual as well. I loathe your ideology almost as much as you do my faith. The only thing that separates us from another civil war is the declaration and authorization. 

• JulesKorngoldJulesKorngold 216 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: If Nothing Would Change Your Mind

The key feature of a delusion is the degree to which the person is convinced that the belief is true. A person with a delusion will hold firmly to the belief regardless of evidence to the contrary. 
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -  
    @JulesKorngold ; Hence, the delusion of Atheism and Darwinism....

Argument Topic: Sooo...

@RickeyD
    What would it take to change YOUR mind? 
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited April 29
    @JulesKorngold ; I've been sold-out to Jesus Christ for 30-years...life is not worth living without Him as my Lord and the Holy Spirit as my peace and wisdom. Jules, I've been through Marine Infantry; the University through a MA; the Houston PD for 31-years...there is no greater life and no greater peace and assurance than knowing Jesus Christ as Messiah, the Father as my own and the indwelling Holy Spirit's love and faithfulness.

Argument Topic: Sorry

@RickeyD
    If nothing would change your mind you are deluded - by definition.
    dallased25
  • @RickeyD
    Athiest is a form of religous accusation. It is a word to describe a person who may not be able to udnerstand creator as GOD, a numerical axiom of logic.
    @John_C_87 ; Atheism does not exist. Every human being possessing sufficient cognitive acuity to discern the world around them intuitively knows that a Creator exists and this Creator is sovereign over our lives and all of Nature...Atheism is illogical...it's a ruse, obfuscation, for the aberrant sexually perverse, those who compromise morally with the flesh, narcissism, greed, arrogance. Nothing more, nothing less. A clear nights sky refutes the absurdity of Atheism and the Atheist.

RickeyD said:
    @John_C_87 ; Atheism does not exist. Every human being possessing sufficient cognitive acuity to discern the world around them intuitively knows that a Creator exists and this Creator is sovereign over our lives and all of Nature...Atheism is illogical...it's a ruse, obfuscation, for the aberrant sexually perverse, those who compromise morally with the flesh, narcissism, greed, arrogance. Nothing more, nothing less. A clear nights sky refutes the absurdity of Atheism and the Atheist.

Atheism is actually not a thing at all in that it describes not what someone believes, but what they don't believe. Which is why all of your posts about Atheism being evil and abortionist...etc...is all nonsense and a lie. It's like calling someone who doesn't play basketball evil and you call them a "abasketballist" meaning they don't play basketball and because they don't play, they must necessarily hate basketball and the players. No...it just means they don't play basketball. As far as your claim, the world itself is proof that every human does not possess knowledge of a creator. After all, at best, only about 27% of the world is some kind of christian. The rest by your standards are non-believers, because they don't believe in your specific god. The rest believe in multiple gods, or no god at all, or a spiritual realm, or the enlightenment, or that all of creation and us are a part of one being....everyone has vastly different beliefs. Even within christianity there are those that believe in the trinity and those that don't and those that believe Jesus was god and those that do not! So the world and people are indisputable proof that belief in gods are necessarily taught, mostly through culture and where you grew up and that people are not born with this knowledge. So your claim is not only unsubstantiated, it is clearly false by these standards. 
    @dallased25 ; Purported "unbelief" remains a "belief." An overwhelming majority of America "claims" to be Christian but most have NO IDEA what it means to be a Christian...this is why only a "few" in comparison to the total population of the Earth subsequent Adam will enter the Kingdom of God. Atheism is a religion for Darwinist', Secular Humanists...the servants of Satan.

RickeyD said:
    @dallased25 ; Purported "unbelief" remains a "belief." An overwhelming majority of America "claims" to be Christian but most have NO IDEA what it means to be a Christian...this is why only a "few" in comparison to the total population of the Earth subsequent Adam will enter the Kingdom of God. Atheism is a religion for Darwinist', Secular Humanists...the servants of Satan.

Every christian on earth thinks "the know what it is to be a "true christian"", but all of you read the bible differently and argue amongst yourselves and for 2,000 years still have nor resolution. So your arrogance on what a "true christian" is no surprise. Atheism is like a religion, like not playing football is a sport, or like being celibate is a sex position. It's absurd to even suggest. 
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited April 29
    @dallased25 ; What would an atheist know about "every Christian" on the Earth? You're lost, dying in your sin with every passing second...your entire existence is obedience to the Devil and your flesh. You won't listen...you obfuscate and deceive in futility and wastefulness. Why are we discussing this...you have opted for Hell...why not go enjoy?

• MayCaesarMayCaesar 4521 Pts   -  
    @RickeyD

Have you ever heard of the ad hominem fallacy? That is what you are doing here: "Your argument is wrong because you are X, Y and Z".

I would gather that a lot of atheists here know much more about Christianity than you do. I, for example, have talked to a lot of very different Christians, and I am happy to admit that 95% of them put forward much better arguments in favor of their positions than you have put for yours. Your argument comes down to:
    1. If we accept that my holy book is true, then my holy book is true.
    2. I accept it, and if you do not, then, according to this book, you will go to hell.
    This is pathetic and childish, and I made much better philosophical arguments when I was 6 than this.

I also have worked at a Catholic school for 6 years. I do not remember a single Catholic there that was as poor at arguing their position as you are at arguing yours. I think, Rickey, that you are a huge outlier among modern Western Christians, and your take on Christianity is very uncommon. That you project it onto other Christians says to me that you live in a tiny bubble of some bizarre Christian sub-denomination and purposefully ignore everything that happens outside of it. Your arguments reek of "I have lived among my peers my entire life, and my position was never challenged properly by anyone". You are like a little kid who grew up in a family in which everyone told him that he is the best and the smartest kid in the entire world, then went to school and suddenly realized that other kids and adults do not necessarily share this sentiment.
    JulesKorngold
  • JoeKerrJoeKerr 241 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: Peace?

@RickeyD

You quote John 14:27 claiming that you have been given peace.
    Well, you don't come across to me as someone who is at peace. Your vitriolic rants at all who don't
    think like you, calling people evil, sexual deviants, child molesters and scum do not come from someone who is at peace, they come from someone who is full of bitterness, resentment and anger. 
    There is a very wise saying that states that anger is an acid that does more harm to the vessel that contains it than on to which it is poured. Your endless and repetitive scornful bible speak directed at people only makes them consider you to be unbalanced. It does nothing to bring them round to your way of thinking.
    When you are making totally unsubstantial claims about a person's character here on this forum, do you ever stop to think that you are talking about someone you don't know, have never met, and probably never will meet, yet here you are making these claims nonetheless
    I imagine that if you think someone is an atheist, that is all you need to know in order to unleash your venom. 
    Strange that, as you have stated that atheism doesn't exist, yet it is something that seems to bother you greatly as your posts clearly demonstrate.
    You have also stated that you won't tolerate anyone trashing your faith. From where I'm standing the person who is doing the best job at trashing your faith is you!

JulesKorngold
  • RickeyDRickeyD 770 Pts   -   edited April 30
    @JoeKerr ;  I am consumed by loathing for the liberal-fascist-atheist-communist-sexual pervert and I voice same. I am one who loves Jesus Christ and I HATE with vitriol those who are destroying my Nation and destroying the future of our posterity. If my expression of Truth is offensive or perceived by my enemies as non-Christian...let it be so...I do NOT care. My Lord commands that I love my enemies so I tell you of life that is available by trusting in Jesus Christ but personally, if you're a Democrat Pervert-Fascist Liberal-atheist....only Hell nears fitting your end. 

@JoeKerr I am consumed by loathing for the liberal-fascist-atheist-communist-sexual perv and I voice same. I am one who loves Jesus Christ and I HATE with vitriol those who are destroying my Nation and destroying the future of our posterity. If my expression of Truth is offensive or perceived by my enemies as non-Christian...let it be so...I do NOT care. My Lord commands that I love my enemies so I tell you of life that is available by trusting in Jesus Christ but personally, if you're a Democrat LGBTQ radical-Fascist Liberal-atheist....only Perdition nears fitting your end.

• @RickeyD
     Atheism does not exist. Every human being possessing sufficient cognitive acuity to discern the world around them intuitively knows that a Creator exists and this Creator is sovereign over our lives and all of Nature...Atheism is illogical...it's a ruse, obfuscation, for the aberrant sexually perverse, those who compromise morally with the flesh, narcissism, greed, arrogance. Nothing more, nothing less. A clear nights sky refutes the absurdity of Atheism and the Atheist.

Atheism is  a religious accusation as a person may not be aware how they know GOD as a child can place and three things together and know of multiple object yet never hold the word three in their mouth until they are given the love by instruction to count one. two, three.

Every human being possessing sufficient cognitive acuity 
    You say you might have learned Jesus is following the fallen angle, there is a profound difference between faith and blind faith. Atheism is the person, as a people, the creation of a creator, asking tell me what GOD is as a non-religion. Tell us one of two GOD which are to be real for it is the least a person of understanding can do when facing a danger with others.

@John_C_87 ; Atheism does not exist in reality. Atheism is a secular humanistic ruse to appease the aberrant conscience of the defiled who will die in Hell in unbelief. Jesus follows no one...Jesus is our Creator and He is your Judge. Only faith in Jesus will provide you a life of purpose here in Time and in the life to come in Eternity.

JulesKorngold
    RickeyD said:
    @dallased25 ; What would an atheist know about "every Christian" on the Earth? You're lost, dying in your sin with every passing second...your entire existence is obedience to the Devil and your flesh. You won't listen...you obfuscate and deceive in futility and wastefulness. Why are we discussing this...you have opted for Hell...why not go enjoy?

I know quite a bit actually! I could literally list the major christian denominations off the top of my head and the differences in how they view what a "true christian" is, which what my post was about, but instead you just went on to insult me needlessly, instead of actually responding to the point. The rest is just you replying to your own toxic behavior. You must be really unhappy in life to act this way as a supposed christian. 
  • BoganBogan 55 Pts   -  
    A persons beliefs are largely formulated in their childhoods, and internalized as Absolute Truths by the constant reinforcement of societal expectations by parents, teachers, religious instructors, peers, and role models.    But as a child gets older, he or she becomes aware that there is great differences of opinion among adults as to what is right or wrong.     It is at this stage that most people begin to re assess their childhood beliefs and begin to question their own beliefs which they had for so long accepted.      For those who have the maturity of mind to question long accepted beliefs, the point at which a person decides that they are being deluded should come about by impartial examination of known facts, as well as an examination of any flaws in what up to then had been accepted dogma.  

My rejection of religion came at the age of 15, when a religious instructor tried to tell me that Christians believed in only one God, and He was "God the father, His son Jesus Christ, and The Holy Ghost."    'That's three Gods", said I.    "No, no, no! " said the religious instructor.    "God is all three."     Boing.   Boing.    Boing.       According to Christianity, one +one+ one equals one?      And three times one equal one?     I could not even figure out what a "holy ghost" was, even though my religious instructor tried to tell me.      But one thing was for sure, a father can not be his own son.    A father is an entity and a son is an entity.    So, at the very least Christians must believe in two Gods?     But my instructor was adamant.    Father, son, and Holy Ghost were all the same thing.    There was only one God.

With my skepticism circuits now fully activated, I looked for answers in the Holy Bible.     The first thing I noted was that the Bible was exceedingly boring.     God wrote a boring book.     But right from the start in Genesis, it was clearly obvious to me that whoever wrote this superstitious nonsense did not have a clue.       What got my skepticism circuits fully aroused was the statement in the Bible that not only was the earth created in six days, but God created "the stars also."  (as if they were an afterthought)      Now, if a person is completely ignorant, they might consider that those twinkly little lights in the sky are nothing compared to the grandeur of the earth.    But even a 15 year old schoolboy knows that the earth is a speck of dust compared to the immensity of the universe.     Whoever wrote this crap knew nothing.     I started at Genesis and by the time I got to Deuteronomy I knew that the Christian religion was simply superstitious nonsense.     And if Christianity as nonsense, the same logic could be extended to all religions.

My next conversion came with the Vietnam War.    Brought up to believe that all Communist's were bad, and that we had to save Vietnam from the commies, I took it for granted that the USA and Australia were in the right.     But since I was a great fan of military history, I began reading books on Vietnam written by journalists, academics, politicians, and soldiers.      What struck me most was how they all agreed that the war was idiotic.    I might not trust journalists, academics, and politicians, but when soldiers on the ground who have been shot at tell you what they see with their own eyes, and that tallies with what the other demographics tell you, then those who opposed the war in Vietnam had opinions reflecting "The Ring of Truth."      Especially since what they said answered the central questions.   If we were liberating the Vietnamese from the dastardly communists, why were so many South Vietnamese on the enemies side?    And why were we losing?     Why were the North Vietnamese so brave and the South Vietnamese so cowardly and corrupt?     The soldiers opined that the reason why we were losing, was because all the Vietnamese who had any guts or nationalism were all fighting on the other side.     This made sense.  

Next came South Africa and Apartheid.      The long held cultural belief for most people in the western world had been that "All Men Were Created Equal."     By this logic, all races were equal.     For a young man with little knowledge of the world, that sounded fair enough.     However, once this idea was accepted and internalised, it brought up some seemingly unanswerable questions.     If all men were equal, why was it that after the decolonisation of many countries, and the removal of white administrations, many countries, especially in Africa, the Caribbean, and the Middle east, reverted back to barbarism?      Why had the Asians who had started pretty much at the same level of development as the Africans, Caribbean's, South Americans, and Muslims, rocketed in development away from those other post colonial countries?      Could it be that my long held view that races must be equal, was wrong?     Races were not equal?    Especially in mental acuity?     

After being anti apartheid demonstrator, I looked again at white South Africans.    The more I read about the Boers and especially the white Rhodesians, the more I admired them.    They themselves lamented that whites and blacks were not equal.     Sad though this fact may be, black Africans have generally low intelligence (there are some smart blacks) and a genetic predisposition to extremely violent behaviour.     As the decades have passed, everything I see about dysfunctional societies, or dysfunctional communities within successful societies,  confirmed the Boers opinions.   Dysfunction in all societies is a product of low intelligence and a genetic predisposition to violence.    And this can be linked to race.    This makes sense also.  
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1410 Pts   -  
    @Bogan
    Next came South Africa and Apartheid.  

Geeziz. You almost nailed it there with fair, balanced reasoning. Then comes the last two paragraphs....you did all the moralistic build-up with religion and Vietnam then, uh oh...here we go again, "let's just slide this thing into some heavy-duty racist crap".

Tut tut.

• SwolliwSwolliw 1410 Pts   -  
    @Bogan
    Next came South Africa and Apartheid.  

Geeziz. You almost nailed it there with fair, balanced reasoning. Then comes the last two paragraphs....you did all the moralistic build-up with religion and Vietnam then, uh oh...here we go again, "let's just slide this thing into some heavy-duty racist nonsense".

Tut tut.

• BoganBogan 55 Pts   -  
    You really are a lightweight, arn't you Mr Swallow?     Just another loony lefty with plenty of "beliefs" but no reasoned arguments or logic to back them up.    And you have the nerve to sneer at religious people when your mindset is exactly the same?       I had hoped that you had a brain and you and I could have a real debate.     But opponents who respond to my well reasoned arguments with just sneery one liners is characteristic of a person with low IQ, who thinks that advocating for fashionable causes somehow displays their supposed high IQ.    Obviously, you are not worth bothering with.   

I predict you will respond to this post with yet another sneery one liner.   Don't disappoint me.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 133 Pts   -  
    If your a bogan like you are then you should should it up when some one tells you off for being a racist like you also are too. @Bogan
  • BoganBogan 55 Pts   -  
    Of course I am a racist, Mr Bernadot.     Most sensible people are.     I have reason to conclude that races are not equal as many people believe without proof.    I have yet to encounter anyone who can even submit a reasoned argument as to why they think that races are equal.    If you believe that all races are equal, perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you have concluded that this widely held belief must be true?    If you can not, then I can only reasonably conclude that your belief is simply that, a belief.     It has been hammered into your malleable brain for so long, and reinforced by your peers and role model heroes for so long, that you have simply accepted it as fact without ever bothering to even think about it.