our evolutionary heritage - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

Communities

our evolutionary heritage

Debate Information

is everything we do, how we act, what we think based upon our evoultionary past?  can you name something that is not?  
OakTownA

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• BarnardotBarnardot 157 Pts   -  
    Well no one can come up with some things because what happens is that what ever we do we have to breathe so that we can actually stay a live and actually do what ever it is and that is part of our evolution past and I bet you never thought of that so now you are actually trumped any way. @maxx
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    That doesn’t trump me one bit@Barnardot
    dallased25
  • RickeyDRickeyD 901 Pts   -  
    @maxx ; Evolution is a lie of the Devil...Darwinism is the scapegoat for atheism and secular humanism...all seeking death in Hell by rejecting the Truth of our Creator, Jesus Christ.

PlaffelvohfenOakTownA
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    If you are not going to stick to my topic as it is written, then do not post @RickeyD
    PlaffelvohfenOakTownAdallased25
    @maxx ; The topic is "evolutionary heritage"...but there is no evolutionary heritage...it's all a lie of the atheist.

PlaffelvohfenOakTownA
  • RickeyD said:
    @maxx ; The topic is "evolutionary heritage"...but there is no evolutionary heritage...it's all a lie of the atheist.
    Then you should have no problem naming a human activity or motivation that does not have a link to our evolutionary past.

OakTownA
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
    @SkepticalOne ; The Creation of the Heavens and the Earth and the human genome...are not the resultant of evolution and if you're addressing me in this forum use my @ name or the reply function lest you're too cowardly to actually desire a rebuttal.

PlaffelvohfenOakTownA
    @SkepticalOne ; BTW Atheist...today is my 37th marriage anniversary to my beautiful Wife so if I don't respond to your evolutionary insanity and bile....I'm busy...I'll get back with you later.

PlaffelvohfenOakTownA
  • RickeyD said:
    @SkepticalOne ; The Creation of the Heavens and the Earth and the human genome...are not the resultant of evolution and if you're addressing me in this forum use my @ name or the reply function lest you're too cowardly to actually desire a rebuttal.

This is a deflection. My question has not been answered.

Also, you not receiving notification is not a matter of cowardice (stop being petty). I quoted you (notice your name in my post). Plus, I didn't receive a notification you mentioned my name even though, I assume, you used the reply function or @name. That's an issue with the website.
    PlaffelvohfenOakTownA
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • @RickeyD

BTW Atheist...today is my 37th marriage anniversary to my beautiful Wife so if I don't respond to your evolutionary insanity and bile....I'm busy...I'll get back with you later.

My name is Charles (not "atheist"). There is no need to be so adversarial. 

Congratulations on 37 years of marriage to your bride. As always, feel free to respond at your convenience.

OakTownA
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -   edited June 10
    its ok ill just start flagging you for destroying my post with random bullcrap .my
    post has nothing at all to do weather evolution is real or not.  nothing at all.  i am sick of you using my posts as a sounding board. just stay off om my posts with your warped mind and go create your on post.  i will flag you everytime until aarog wakes up and does something about it.  if he does not i will contact him direct.  @RickeyD
    OakTownA
    @maxx ; Flag away atheist...because "bull" is all you have...you're an insane demon promulgating the lie of the ages...I'm not buying. You've been duped and your demon keeps you in deception.

OakTownA
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -   edited June 10
    oh you bet i will.  people like you are the ones that turn this site into a laughing stock.  lot of people like you have gotten banned for acting the way that you do.  you are free to create your own posts, but if you getr on mine, stick to the subject Aat hand. i did not ask if evoulution was real.  as well this is a debate site, not a site for rickeys to spread their beliefs upon.  throwing bible verses at us, hating democrats and crying everytime someone makes a post that you disagree with is not debating. l;earn to debate or get off.  why are you even on this site; just to express built up anger?  debate!!   other than that; congragulation on your 37 aniverasery @RickeyD
    OakTownA
  • Zebra6Zebra6 7 Pts   -  
    Argument Topic: evolutionary learning

Wow, I have literally just posted a debate in relation to this ( not advertising ) but in essence there is no new thought or behaviour as everything is built upon a historical narrative, this also relates to what we assume is good and bad, I state assume as that narrative can change, and even that is a product of action over millennia 
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    imagine that.   double talk.  either agree or disagree  @Zebra6
  • Zebra6Zebra6 7 Pts   -  
    oh I agree, my apologise @maxx
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    well we all realize and understand certain ramifications only assume basic ideas of structures in unique patterns such as this.  other than that can you answer the question as i posted it?  @Zebra6
    @maxx ;That doesn’t trump me one 

Well let me explain because it’s real hard to get because from a philosophy point of view what happens when you hold your breathe to do something that is not part of the evolution what your actually doing is actually doing part of the breatheing process which is holding your breathe as opposed to letting it out which is evolutionary any way. So you see now that it’s impossible to do something that is not evolution so that’s why you lost and no one here can come up with a not evolution process any way.

• maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    holding your breath has evolutionary value; for instance , keeping putid poisonous orders from getting into your lungs. @Barnardot
    OakTownA
    @maxx when I was a kid like yesterday lol we used to hold our breathes and ran past the witches hose other wise we would get a horrible disease and get covered in worts.
    maxxall4actt
  • OakTownAOakTownA 238 Pts   -  
    What about prejudice? I'm not sure there's an evolutionary link for that.
  • all4acttall4actt 277 Pts   -  
    @maxx

Our DNA makeup which not only decides you physical makeup, disease susceptibility, abilities and even some of your personality traits.  These are all a part of evolution.

I would argue that what you do with what your given is all you.  Usually influenced  by what you are exposed to and how you choose to handle or manage some of the maybe not so pleasant tendancies you may have inherited.
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    perjhaps elaborate or break it dow.  i understand what you wrote; yet it seems to bear little relation to my post. @all4actt
  • piloteerpiloteer 1512 Pts   -   edited June 16
    maxx said:
    is everything we do, how we act, what we think based upon our evoultionary past?  can you name something that is not?  
    Our genetics only determine the makeup of our body. It cannot determine our actions on a contemporary level. If we were controlled by our DNA, our genetics would need to work in conjunction with, or have a prior knowledge of physical phenomena that influences our actions. If your genetics have already planned what your next post on this thread will be, and what time you will make the post, it's plans could easily be thwarted if a massive tornado destroys the information grid in your area and knocks out the power, and a large tree also happened to land on you and paralysed you so you could not move or speak any longer. So whatever plans your DNA had in store for you would obviously not come to fruition because of a physical outcome beyond the control of your DNA (lest you believe our DNA also controls, or has prior knowledge to physical circumstances before they happen). Even if our DNA were somehow working in conjunction with metaphysical processes of our universe, and that's how our DNA supposedly could control our actions, that still would not be our DNA controlling us, it would be the metaphysical nature of our universe that controls us, not our genetics.      

So.......I guess I could say that everything we do is not determined by our genetics.  
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    our thinking process is based upon gentecis and our evoultionary make-up; so what ever decisions we make is based upon that.  @piloteer
    @maxx ;our thinking process is based upon gentecis and our evoultionary make-up; so what ever decisions we make is based upon that.  @piloteer

Your making a dum assumption based on a dum assurtion because our decision making comes from more like family and enviroment and culture and education and genetics and evolution are just like a cavas but all the other things make the panting and any way our brain is so flexable that we can make decisions based on what ever we like.

• maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -   edited June 17
    it is spelled dumb, not dum. as well it is not an assumption. our entire brain is built upon millions of years of evolution; our entire thinking process is bAased upon it. yes, you can make a decison to spell dumb as dum, yet without the ability to decide whih is based upon evoulution, then you may as well be a doorstop. our entire activity of the brain is based upon evolution; so yes whatever decisions you make is based upon our evo;utionary past.   @Barnardot
    @maxx well I think your not really getting it but I sea where your coming from though because a lot of people think like that any way but if your decision is going to be just evolutionary and genetics without being based on what you’re learned and your up bringing and culture your in trouble because your going to make some dum decisions like jee wizikins im going to beet my wife and drag her by her hair into the cave because I’m deciding evolutionary and then I’m not going to decide to eat ceech because I have man genes so do you see what I mean that would be really dum.
    what i am saying is that our actions, our thoughts, our emotions, our movements, even our desires and hates are based upon our evolutionary past  Does Evolution Explain Our Behaviour? « On the Human (nationalhumanitiescenter.org) . @Barnardot
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    @maxx okay I thought you were saying just about decisions I missed the bit about our desire and hates and moements but don’t you reckon that our environment and up bringing make us what we are for examples what about red necks and goddists because what happened to them is that they didn’t get there moms milk when they were young which what makes red necks real dum and the goddists just go totally weird.
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    our enviorment plays a part in how we react to it and how we react to it is agaoin based upon our evolutionary past. i am not even sure you understand the concept of a red neck.  it is a life style, genersalyy of hunting, fishing, boating, camping, , trucks, coon dog hunting, skeet shooting, frog gigging; etc. all rolled into a daily type of living.  even in that regard, it is more of part of our evolution than any other lifestyle, for that is basciall how early humans lived  @Barnardot
  • piloteerpiloteer 1512 Pts   -  
    maxx said:
    our thinking process is based upon gentecis and our evoultionary make-up; so what ever decisions we make is based upon that.  @piloteer
    Our "thinking process" is done by our brains, not our genetics. 

One quick "yes or no" question could iron thIs all out. If our genetics are determining every thing we do, do you believe our genetics themselves are also determined by some other phenom?     
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    one can not answer yes or no.  genetics, our genes evolved and our brains evolved; are you seriously saying that our day-to-day decisions are not based upon our ability to think and reason; which began millions of years oag through the process of evolution/  @piloteer
  • piloteerpiloteer 1512 Pts   -   edited June 17
    maxx said:
    one can not answer yes or no.  genetics, our genes evolved and our brains evolved; are you seriously saying that our day-to-day decisions are not based upon our ability to think and reason; which began millions of years oag through the process of evolution/  @piloteer
     Ooops!!! Did you just use the terms "decision" and "reasoning", because if we are determined by anything, then "decisions" and "reasoning" do not exist. Any "decision" we make is not actually a decision at all if we are bound by determinism in any manner. It's just a thing we cannot help but do. That is exactly what free will is. It's decision. Also not too sure why it is not an answerable question if genetics are determined by something, because why then does it suddenly become possible to determine whether or not genetics are determined. 

It's a simple argument. If our genetics are determined by something themselves, then whatever it is that determines our genetics is what determines our actions. If our genetics are not determined by anything, then we are in an anarchic universe because if there isn't anything controlling our genetics, then that means some kind of free will exists in our universe. If anything in our universe is not determined in our universe, then nothing is. It's either all or nothing with free will vs determinism (at least in a metaphysical sense).                   
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    do not put defintions into my mouth.  i am not talking about determinism.  our thinking process, our entire  ability to make decisions, is based upon how the brain evolved.  @piloteer
    maxx said:
    do not put defintions into my mouth.  i am not talking about determinism.  our thinking process, our entire  ability to make decisions, is based upon how the brain evolved.  @piloteer
    That's exactly what you are talking about. If our genetics are controlling every action we are making, then we are determined by our genetics, which I'm pretty sure that is what you are claiming. 

Wikipedia describes determinism as  "the philosophical view that all events are determined completely by previously existing causes." In this case, you are claiming our genetics, which most certainly happened previous to our actions, are what determines our actions.     
    all of our decisions; our thoughts, our emotions, our actions, etc. are brought forth by millions of years of evolution. if i decide to suddenly sit down, it is because of evolution.  if i say i detest skating, that thought and idea is based upon evolution.  all of our thoughts, our entire thinking process that decides our decisions began because of some evolutionary effect.    gentetics; our genes are biological in nature and are produced  by evoultion. if you deny all of that.....  @piloteer
    maxx said:
    all of our decisions; our thoughts, our emotions, our actions, etc. are brought forth by millions of years of evolution. if i decide to suddenly sit down, it is because of evolution.  if i say i destes skating, that thought and idea is based upon evolution.  gentetics; our genes are biological in nature and are governed by evoultion. if you deny all of that.....  @piloteer
    I do. If our genetics are determined by something, then whatever that something is, that is what is determining our actions. If our genetics are not determined by something, then we are in an anarchy, so why would genetics, or our actions be an exception to that?    
  • @piloteer @maxx

If our genetics are controlling every action we are making

Is Maxx saying every action is exclusively controlled by our genetics, or is he saying our actions are merely influenced by our genetics? The former is dubious - the latter undeniable.

@piloteer @maxx

If our genetics are controlling every action we are making

Is Maxx saying every action is exclusively controlled by our genetics, or is he saying our actions are merely influenced by our genetics? The former is dubious - the latter undeniable.

The former!! I'm not sure if @Maxx actually realizes that is the claim being made, but it is.    
  • all4acttall4actt 277 Pts   -  
    @piloteer

I never said that your DNA controls your actions but it does determine personality traits,  pass certain medical and mental conditions and judging by my oldest who has not seen his father scince he was 6 months old but has some of his mannerisms, behaviors and problems.

So you are incorrect when you claim that it only determines your appearance.
    @maxx your quiet fight because red necks are very evolutionary all right it’s just that they missed a few rings in the evolution ladder and they in herited some pretty dum genes and what about the rams with the extra big weels and mat black and the row of lights on the roof.
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    you are very mis-informed; as well anyone who speels as badly as you do, long with no proper grammar; sounds more like anm uneducated  hill billy to me.  @Barnardot
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    our genetics are biological in nature and genes are and have been passed on from generation to generation since the beginning of life. That buddy is evolution. @piloteer
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    no i am saying that our actions are controled by our evolutionary past; piolter is the one who brouth gentetics up; i just informed him that  they are part of our evolutoion as well and therfore are part of our evolutionary heritage and any actions we do because of of the effect of our genes can be traced back to evolution, for our genes evolved just like any thing else has.  @SkepticalOne
  • piloteerpiloteer 1512 Pts   -   edited June 18
    @all4actt

I do not believe our genetics only determine our appearance. They determine the makeup of our body, including genetic disorders and our brains which influence our personality and mannerisms. But it can be demonstrated that our genetics are also influenced by environmental factors. For instance, we can develop skin cancer from overexposure to the sun that we were not genetically predisposed to ever getting, and that cancer changes our cells. Most of us are not predisposed to dying from skin cancer, but most of us can develop a deadly form of skin cancer if we are not careful about our exposure to the sun, and that type of cancer (and all cancers) can alter our bodies on the cellular level. Most of us are not predisposed to die from skin cancer before we are born, but it can still kill us. So, we (or more precisely, the sun) can alter our cells in a manner that was not determined by our genetics before we were born. Radiation alters our DNA, and we are not genetically predisposed to die from radiation sickness, but if we willfully choose to expose ourselves to dangerous radiation, it can alter the makeup of our bodies and possibly kill us.   

Our personality traits are influenced by our genetics, but our personality is certainly not determined by our genetics. Our personality is influenced by environmental factors, social factors, brain injuries and substances like drugs and alcohol. One could even argue that our personalities are controlled by our brains, and we cannot help what choices our brains make for us, and I would not be able to contest that (but one could only demonstrate that we could be controlled by our brains, but they could not prove we are definitely controlled by our brains because the processes of our decision making is not fully understood yet). Mannerisms and personality traits are influenced by people we are around often, like our family, friends, classmates, and people we work with. Our personality can be influenced by celebrities and performing artists also. Our personalities can be influenced by brain injuries that we were not genetically predisposed to have before we were born.                  
    maxx said:
    our genetics are biological in nature and genes are and have been passed on from generation to generation since the beginning of life. That buddy is evolution. @piloteer
    That is an irrelevant argument. Your argument here only demonstrates that our genetics determine our evolution, but it does nothing to demonstrate that our genetics determine our actions.    
  • SonofasonSonofason 401 Pts   -  
    Barnardot said:
    @maxx well I think your not really getting it but I sea where your coming from though because a lot of people think like that any way but if your decision is going to be just evolutionary and genetics without being based on what you’re learned and your up bringing and culture your in trouble because your going to make some dum decisions like jee wizikins im going to beet my wife and drag her by her hair into the cave because I’m deciding evolutionary and then I’m not going to decide to eat ceech because I have man genes so do you see what I mean that would be really dum.
    finally their iz somthing I ken relait two.
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    eye no, write? @Sonofason