if technology fails... - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

if technology fails...

Debate Information

Are we already at or pass the piont that if our entire infrastructure of tecnology shuts down, will society follow? Each generation seems to rely upon technology more and more.  now days if something as simple as the electricity goes out, stores can not operate. A mere 60 to 70 years ago, stores could still conduct business if that happened.  Now if we lose the internetworld wide, combined with loss of all power, do you believe that the generation of today could function with out having to resort to barbaism?

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
22%
Margin

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SkepticalOneSkepticalOne Gold Premium Member 1492 Pts   -   edited June 22
    I know this may be hard to believe, but some people alive today existed before the internet and the ubiquity of computers and posses knowledge of how to function in its absence. Loss of technology will undoubtedly make lives harder and, depending on the degree of loss, can cause loss of life, but far more will be required for humans to give up reliance on other humans.
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    oh i agree that there are still people alive that function before the internet as wwell as almost all the magic that todays tecnology offers; yet for how long?  As well, as each generation passes, how much longer before our resilance crumbles whne faced with everything from not being able to buy fod or even drink water.  everything is so becoming electronically controlled as well as computer controled. @SkepticalOne
  • Necessity is the mother of invention. It seems to me, death of invention (technology) would be the mother of necessity...

I'm not sure how old you are, but assuming you've lived your entire life with the internet and computers, would you be able to adapt to a life without it? I suspect most of us would if we were sufficiently motivated. What would that look like? Probably a stronger reliance on our communities for commodities we were not able to produce ourselves: I'm a carpenter, hunter, and can make alcohol...who can help with my solar setup or gardening?
    A supreme being is just like a normal being...but with sour cream and black olives.
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    most of pour entire strcture would have to be changed.  @SkepticalOne
  • maxx said:
    most of pour entire strcture would have to be changed.  @SkepticalOne
    Agreed, but that's not the same thing as barbarism. Society would change, but I see no reason to believe it would completely disappear.
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -  
    how many teens of today could cope?  they are so steeped in tecnology it would be like loosing a poodle in to the wilds @SkepticalOne
  • @maxx

Society consists of more than just teenagers...
  • MayCaesarMayCaesar 4589 Pts   -  
    First of all, the entire infrastructure is not going to shut down in any reasonable scenario; if it does somehow shut down, then it will be a result of a cataclysmic event after which destruction of the infrastructure will be the least of human concerns. The infrastructure is much more robust and recoverable than people realize and can take a lot of beating before breaking down. Even during the most brutal earthquakes and hurricanes the bulk of the technology in the affected area remains intact.

Now, if that was to still happen, some sort of the Mad Max scenario... Then I completely agree with @SkepticalOne: humans are very adaptable, and, after the initial shock, life will go on. There have been precedents of something of this kind: after the Iranian revolution, within a couple of years the way the Iranian society functioned was totally restructured, the quality of life of citizens dropped significantly as all the foreign sanctions and devastating domestic economical policies came into effect, and a rapidly developing modern country became a totalitarian impoverished hell - yet life continued, people did not become barbarians overnight, and the system remains stable to this day.

I was fortunate (or unfortunate; depending how you look at it) to grow up in several different post-Soviet countries of the 90-s, where living conditions were really bad. Internet? Mobile phones? How about living with no fridge, no stable electricity, water shutting down randomly throughout the day, empty shelves in grocery stores, crime rates through the roof, people sniffing toxic wastes in public to get high and shooting heroin on children's playgrounds? Yet people found joy in simple things, they adapted. Have to walk 5 kilometers to the river and 5 kilometers back to do laundry? Okay, let's go!

You can go to many areas of the world today where living conditions are unacceptable by the standards of most Western people. Go to the suburbs of Kolkata, where people live like this:

They do not look particularly satisfied with their lives, obviously - but they also are not murdering each other day and night. It is a bad life, but it is not the end of the world. And getting to this way of living in a country with a much more developed culture, such as the US, would probably look more like this:

Might look a bit boring, but, again, people will get used to it, adapt, move on and learn to enjoy simple things.
    SkepticalOne
  • maxxmaxx 902 Pts   -   edited June 23
    sure, in backwoods country and third world area, life will act as normal.  However, take water; resivors, dams, and plants are all done by computer. There will not be any gas at the pumps.  you can not buy groceries' etc.  one would be forced to live off of the grid. I am not sayoing society will shut down; however it would shut down as we know it today. @MayCaesar @skepticalone ;
  • BarnardotBarnardot 157 Pts   -  
    @maxx I reckon if you take a way technology then people will make it out okay because that’s the way humans are. If a milli0naire looses all his bucks then he will find a way of living so it’s the same any way and we will find a way of making light switches and life will be the same.