What should be the age of consent? - The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com - Debate Anything The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland.com is the largest online debate website globally where anyone can anonymously and easily debate online, casually or formally, while connecting with their friends and others. Users, regardless of debating skill level, can civilly debate just about anything online in a text-based online debate website that supports five easy-to-use and fun debating formats ranging from Casual, to Formalish, to Lincoln-Douglas Formal. In addition, people can improve their debating skills with the help of revolutionary artificial intelligence-powered technology on our debate website. DebateIsland is totally free and provides the best online debate experience of any debate website.

What should be the age of consent?

Debate Information

Age of consent laws around the world are bizarre.    In Iran, the age of consent appears to be 9 years old, because Mohammad took a 6 year old Jewish captive girl (A'isha) as his second wife, and he waited until she was 9 before he consummated the marriage    The revered Iranian cleric the Ayatollah Khomeini wrote in his 1990 book , "Tahrirolvasyleh"     "It is better for a girl to marry in such a time when she would begin menstruation at her husband's house rather than her father's home. Any father marrying his daughter so young will have a permanent place in heaven."   In 10 Aug. '2000, Reformers in the Iranian parliament tried to raise the age of marriage for girls from 9 to 14 and boys from 15 to16.    Since Muslims consider Mohammad a perfect individual, then doing whatever Mohamad did must be correct behaviour?     
 In stone age Australian aboriginal culture, girls were handed over to the Old Men for sex (who were the power structure within aboriginal tribes) at puberty.   This practice still appears to be going on with state and federal government looking the other way.    Aboriginal "Big Men" who are self appointed spokesmen for aboriginal communities are routinely accused of rape by numerous aboriginal girls.    Children as young as six in aboriginal only settlements are routinely screened for sexual diseases by visiting medical staff.    The handing over of pubescent girls  to old men appears to also be the case in other primitive tribes I have read about, but I am not sure if it occurred in every tribal society throughout history.      if it did, it could account for the perception that old men appear to be sexually attracted to very young girls.      Criminologists claim that most men "grow out of " criminality by age 45.    The only typically "old men's crimes" are embezzlement and pedophilia.

In advanced societies, the situation is just as weird.    According to my what i have discovered in articles I have read, the age of consent in Spain is 13.     In much of eastern Europe it is 14.    In France it is 15.     In most of the western world it is 16, although in the Australian state of Queensland it was for most of it's history 17.   I believe that Queensland has now lowered it's age of consent laws to conform to those of the other states and territories.      But the USA is really weird.     The age of consent appears to be 18 years of age, which appears completely potty to me?    And apparently some US states have a "three year rule" whereby it is not illegal for a 19 year old man to have sex with a sixteen year old, but it the man is 20 or older, it is.    Similarly, a 20 year old man may have sex with a 17 year old, but if he is 21 years old, it is "statutory rape."    All I can say is, the yanks must have a lot of young men in jail for "doin' the what comes naturally."

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted To Win
Tie

Details +

Post Argument Now Debate Details +

Arguments

• SwolliwSwolliw 1444 Pts   -  
    @Bogan
    Age of consent laws around the world are bizarre.  

You seem to be conflating "age of consent" and "consent".

I think you will find that it is tradition in some societies for men to take brides aged nine years old but there is hardly any consent at all coming from the victims of such barbaric and cruel "laws". 

So far as consent laws go my personal view is that states such as Queensland and Texas should shoot for the stars in order to reach the moon to allow for the bogan and red-neck mentality that pervades in each case  respectively....set the age to twenty and "four ex coiffeurs" will be knocking off the sixteen year-olds...no probs mate.

• BoganBogan 157 Pts   -  
    Mr Swallow wrote

You seem to be conflating "age of consent" and "consent".

I think you will find that it is tradition in some societies for men to take brides aged nine years old but there is hardly any consent at all coming from the victims of such barbaric and cruel "laws". 

I am not "conflating" anything.   In some Muslim countries, the age of consent must be 9 years old, if the authorities allow such young girls to marry men.

Mr Swallow wrote

So far as consent laws go my personal view is that states such as Queensland and Texas should shoot for the stars in order to reach the moon to allow for the bogan and red-neck mentality that pervades in each case  respectively....set the age to twenty and "four ex coiffeurs" will be knocking off the sixteen year-olds...no probs mate.

Firstly, I have no idea what "ex coiffeurs" even means, so the meaning of your sentence is unclear to me.     Could you speak in plain English, please?    Secondly, I detect some hostility from you?   In your answer, you are insulting people that you think are uneducated, low class, white people, by claiming that we are all pedophiles?        That's okay, i haven't figured out your demographic yet, but I am sure I won't like your push either.    Your insult implies that only uneducated, low class white people are attracted to under age females?    Well, to begin with, what is under age?   It varies wildly from country to country, and it changes over time.    It was during the 1600's that the British parliament passed a law outlawing marriages for any girl under 12 and any boy under 14.    In any case, Jeffrey Epstein was not a redneck or a .bogan, he was once of the super rich and he preferred teenage girls.     And apparently so did a lot of his male friends, one of which was ex president Bill Clinton who visited his island 9 times.   But there were other very successful industrialists and celebrities who also partook of the charms of the young women Epstein kept on his island.    So your premise is incorrect.

• SwolliwSwolliw 1444 Pts   -  
    @Bogan
    I am not "conflating" anything.   In some Muslim countries, the age of consent must be 9 years old, if the authorities allow such young girls to marry men.

Yes you are and I correctly pointed out such and corrected you errant assumption......please explain how "age of consent" in any way means that a nine-year-old girl in any way at all consents or would even somehow enjoy   her virginity to be literally torn apart by some filthy old man....legal or not.....huh.....tell us all how a nine-year-old girl would ever give her consent to such a cruel and barbaric law?

• BoganBogan 157 Pts   -  
    Mr Swallow wrote

Yes you are and I correctly pointed out such and corrected you errant assumption......please explain how "age of consent" in any way means that a nine-year-old girl in any way at all consents or would even somehow enjoy   her virginity to be literally torn apart by some filthy old man....legal or not.....huh.....tell us all how a nine-year-old girl would ever give her consent to such a cruel and barbaric law?

Consent or non consent by minors is irrelevant to age of consent laws in different nations around the world.     Just because a 15 year old girl consents to sex with a 15 year old boy in Sydney does not alter the fact that both have committed an offence.    The question I am asking is what should be the age of consent given that so many cultures around the world have very wildly different views on this subject?
  • SwolliwSwolliw 1444 Pts   -   edited August 7
    @Bogan
    Consent or non consent by minors is irrelevant to age of consent laws in different nations around the world.  

But it should be....laws in Australia are determined through processes taking into account the impact on the parties involved....unfortunately, in less free societies, the law is dictated by dirty old men who use religious scriptures as their justification for pedophilia. So, it is no use in allowing countries to set their own laws...there should be rulings and enforceable laws made by international agencies like the UN who are already making advances with banning female circumcision.

• BoganBogan 157 Pts   -  
    @Swolliw

If you think that age of consent laws should be universal, then everybody on earth would have to agree on what that age should be.    That might be very difficult, considering that the age of consent varies wildly around the world.    This leads to some funny situations.    Wealthy Saudi princes often visit London with their harem of four underage wives in tow, while the British government looks the other way.   Then there was the 15 year old French female tennis player who was living with her coach in France, in a loving relationship.    But when both went to New York for a tennis tournament, they had to sleep in separate hotel rooms, even thought they were in effect, husband and wife.     Movie director Roman Polanski has an arrest warrant out for him in the USA for having sex with a 14 year old girl.    But European police will not extradite him to the USA because such behaviour in Europe is no big deal.
  • BarnardotBarnardot 185 Pts   -  
    The age of concent should be detremined by when the bush grows because when you look at it the bible says when a girl becomes ripe because thats what it says in the book of Corinthians for it is better to marry than to burn out of control and that means a lot dont you think. @Bogan
    Plaffelvohfen